• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--73M819--Ron Harris

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've communicated with Ron several times over the few years I've been here via PM and on the phone, mainly about technical matters that weren't clear to me.

A couple of years ago I put out a request for printed copies of the TMs (operator's and repair) for the M1000 trailer that is commonly towed by the M1070 HET; one of our club members had both M1070 & M1000 to use for his business. Ron responded and shipped out a printed copy in GREAT condition and just said to pay him whatever it was worth to us. I tried to make sure that not only was the shipping covered but also threw in a good sum for the manual as well.

I like to use his phrase with other SS members (with whom I've dealt with before), when they ask me what I'm charging for an item or service: "Just send me what you think it's worth to you." It's not much, but it will be my enduring memory of Ron.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Derek he dickered with everybody. When I first saw the post of his passing yesterday, I was explaining to my wife why I became so verklempt looking at the SS site. Two years ago at the Ga rally. I had got there at the first of the week(Tues), I had a bunch of white arctic fly's for the USMC 4 man tent for $10, Ron came by every day trying talk me down. My style is to drop prices every day till late Sat afternoon when I have my packing up to leave fall of Saigon sale. He came by around noon when the few I had left were at $5 but wanted to pay no more than $2, he told me would gamble and get one at the pack up sale. Not 30 mins after he left somebody bought all I had left at the asking price. He came by that afternoon looking for them and realized they were all gone and asked if I had more at home, I answered no. As he started to walk away I yelled at him and tossed Ron the one I had put aside for him. I told him it was on the house for all the time and energy he had spent to get it. Sunday on the way home I moved my map on the dash and there was a thank you and $2 from Ron.

This is a quote I stole from the "Razors edge" By W. Somerset Maugham. Soldier Larry Darrell says this of the man who had just died after saving his life in the trenches in WW1, trying to help ease the loss.

"He was a slob. Did you ever see him eat? Starving children could fill their bellies on the food that ended up in his beard and on his clothes. Dogs would gather to watch him eat. I've never understood gluttony, but I hate it. I hated that about you. He enjoyed disgusting people, being disgusting, the thrill of offending people and making them uncomfortable. It was despicable. You will not be missed."

In noway were my above comments meant to dishonor or slander Ron's memory. That quote from the movie was a way to help ease the pain of loosing a comrade that was very close . It has also helped me over the years in dealing in loss.
Believe me, he is and will be missed!

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like so many others, I never met KGR......Except here of course. He answered a few PM's with an easy wealth of knowledge and understanding of what I was attempting. I saw the post from Wes and Ron's reply. Figured it was going to be another successful recovery. They each had done "a few" ya know? Nothing unusual. Then, on Sunday morning I saw the post.

Amazing how someone ya don't "know" can elicit such an emotional response. I've read the post. I'm saying prayers. I'm offering heart felt condolences to Lucille and Ron's family and friends.

Only ONE constant in life and that's change. Ron brought a LOT of change in peoples actions and attitudes through many avenues. He touched and molded many a MV enthusiast. Touched quite a few vendors too, it seems. LOL

He made a difference! His life was one of accomplishment and action. I grieve, like many. More than some, WAY less than others. I KNOW that as a brother in Christ, we will share Heaven and his life will have no end. As a fellow service member, we shared that Oath, that bond of brotherhood. As fellow MV owners, we shared frustrations, broken knuckles, and aching body parts.

Lucille, PLEASE accept my families DEEPEST condolences for your loss at this time. The prayers will continue for all involved. I hope that we are helping you in the smallest of ways during this terrible time of grief. Jesus, the Christ, is ascended into Heaven and His Kingdom shall have no end.

I want to thank ALL the folks behind the scenes( I don't know who you are, but stuff is getting done). Keep up the good fight. Especially SWISS and the Chaplain, and those closest to Ron.

Times like these are VERY hard. Makes people wonder and curse, causes others to fall to their knees and ask for help. Causes yet others to reflect and change, right WM?
I'm proud to have "met" Ron. I'm proud to be a member of Steelsoldiers, a website that still exemplifies the meaning of "taking care of our own". PLEASE be generous to those that will be struggling the most in the aftermath of this horrendous event. PLEASE use the page the Chaplain has mentioned to get funds where they need to go.

God bless you ALL!! (especially the survivors)

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recived word of this tragic event on Facebook last night. I say we turn this thing into a Memorial Shrine of some sort.
michigandon, I think turning Ron's "Hooch" into a Memorial would be a nice way to remember Ron. Get some artificial Roses and paint them OD to leave in respect. A couple months ago I planed to make the GA Rally this Oct., and I'm saddened that I will not have a chance to meet Ron in person.

Last edited:

Rouleau

a few more pictures that highlight Ron being Ron; his helpfulness and his 'builds'

a few more pictures that highlight Ron being Ron; his helpfulness and his 'builds'

• Ron and his Lean-To
  • Ron doing a pick with his wrecker
  • Ron (with Swiss) doing another pick
  • the beast that Ron built... with Swiss
  • Ron doing another pick

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was very fortunate to have a fairly longstanding friendship with Ron. Through this site, on the phone and in person at the Ga rally.

I was always impressed with his thoughtfulness and compassion.

Many times he would simply call because he noticed a lack of my presence on the site(he knew a lot about me that I don't share with everyone else).

Even if I missed his phone call, just his message would make me feel good, the way he spoke calm and gentle and with a soft tone often needed to hear from a person you knew cared. And I know many of you know this so opposite of what he could be like in person or on the forums.

He had a way about him, that really impressed me.

I looked up to him as a friend, with respect as an elder, a veteran, and a genuinely kind soul.

Ron also told me many many times, how much this website meant to him. How happily it consumed him, and he fed from it. How he was so happy to make so many friends.

I am truly saddened that I will not see him again (here on earth).

I will always smile as I think of him, And I will do this often and forever.

I have had many other thoughts of Ron in the last couple days and I just wanted to share a few of the thoughts that have been blowing through my mind.

poppop

I don't check in very often anymore, but something told me to get on steelsoldiers tonight. This is not what I wanted to see. I sit here writing with tears running down my face. I first met Ron when I took my truck to Taccoa when they dedicated the Museum there and Ron sent out a request for trucks to attend for the Parade and display. I have been to many Rally's and have had many good conversations with Him. De and I considered him a great Friend and an Honorable man. He greatly loved his Country, His Military, and his Friends. This is just a memory from a Rally long ago in the Horse pasture. We were sitting around the big bonfire and a jug of some clear substance was being passed around. I don't think Ron was a drinking man, but every time that jug got to him, he turned it up. Jennifer was sitting next to him and she turned it up everytime. Then I was next to Jennifer and I turned it up also. The next Morning Ron was holding his head when I first saw him and he said He did not understand, Jennifer was out jogging at 4 AM and that I looked great, why didn't I feel bad too?? I said Ron, just because you turn the jug up does not mean you have to swallow. He did not think that was very funny.

Ron, my great Friend, I will truly miss you and wish I could have come to the last Rally to see you one last time. De and I both will have Lucille and family in our thoughts and Prayers. Rest in peace my Brother.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
KGR-Not sure if everyone knows what this means in his signature.

A few Rally's ago Ron being Ron had upset a few vendors. I am not sure but I think a few things were going on in his life that may have been bothering him. Ron did not share a-lot of his problems he was more interested in seeing if he could help others with their problems. After the Rally he felt bad and we discussed what happened one evening. The next day he called me and said look at my new Signature on site. I did not get it and he smiled, laughed and said "Swiss it is Kindler Gentler Ron" .

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron was a great guy. The first time I ever met him was when like so many others I needed help. After purchasing a m108 I had asked for help with the recovery and Ron was the first guy to offer. He showed up at the recovery and made everything go smoothly. Also charged the same fee as usual. $0. We always talked at the Ga Rally. He will be missed by many. Pic of the recovery Ron’s 923 is in the pic. Quote from that days post

Ron aka 73m819. Did real solid favor today. Made the recovery a breeze. Brought his knock wrench and had the lug nuts loose before I could get the tire down to him. Great ground guide and even took point with a m923 to block 2 lanes of traffic so we could pull into the road. Invaluable help today

Attachments

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
KGR-Not sure if everyone knows what this means in his signature.

A few Rally's ago Ron being Ron had upset a few vendors. I am not sure but I think a few things were going on in his life that may have been bothering him. Ron did not share a-lot of his problems he was more interested in seeing if he could help others with their problems. After the Rally he felt bad and we discussed what happened one evening. The next day he called me and said look at my new Signature on site. I did not get it and he smiled, laughed and said "Swiss it is Kindler Gentler Ron" .
Its funny, that's the only way wheel's wife knew him was as KGR. I'm so glad I got to spend a few good hours at the last rally both hanging out at the registration tent and driving Ron around to get all the deals he had worked on with the gator to save the walking and carrying.

Ron and I spent some time talking of when he stole Ferro's 151 for that time with a fellow Vietnam Vet right before that gentleman passed. I swear there were tears in both of our eyes. I can honestly say he was one of the most honest people I have ever met.

I sure will miss him, but getting to really know him was a real treasure.

So long Brother.......

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I first met Ron at GA Rally #2 and many more after that. He also drove my deuce from Atlanta to Wisconsin when we moved to Cheyenne. R.I.P. my Friend!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've know Ron since the 2007 GA Rally at Unicoi. I stopped by his house on the way to look at that cabover HEMTT thing he had. We have been great friends since.

For what it's worth, Ron never missed a GA Rally.....ever. I'll miss his cheerful (haha) demeanor at the registration tent where he spent quite a bit of time....not working of course.

Since I moved to GA I've often wanted to stop by and visit and I put it off, now It's too late.
I will miss my brother Ron.

Like it or not, when one thinks GA rally, they think Ron. Until we chat again brother.......

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I first met Ron at GA Rally #2 and many more after that. He also drove my deuce from Atlanta to Wisconsin when we moved to Cheyenne. R.I.P. my Friend!
Ron and I discussed that trip while we were driving up to pick the PLS up. He talked about how he left GA in a T shirt and got to Wisconsin and realized he didn't have enough clothes and the deuce needed a better heater and didn't like the cold and we would replan his next trip better if he was headed up north

sandcobra164

It's funny reading the back and forth experiences with Ron about trading and swapping. This last Ga Rally we made a deal to swap thimbles and outer nuts from my M923A0 for the correct lug nuts that should be used on the rear of a M939 truck with singles. He gave me all 40 lug nuts in a single plastic coffee can and told me to send what I took off my truck in the same. Floridianson provided an awesome cordless impact and we replaced my thimbles with the correct nuts. We spent some time sorting out left side and right and I made sure to sort out what came off of my truck to make it easier on Ron. Somebody told him that I complained about him not having the left and rights sorted out and he proceeded to give me a good talking to. We got it sorted out pretty quickly though in person right before the raffle. That was my last in person conversation with him. We left on a positive and I followed up with a text to make sure that what I traded him worked fine and Ron said it did. Swiss posted the pictures of his last project, it's dualed on 11's even though it's an A2 tractor. I know where the thimbles and outer nuts came from. I hate that our last face to face conversation started out as an arguement but I'm so glad that it ended with understanding and a handshake. I'll just say one last statement from my heart. Ron may be gone but his spirit lives on in all of us. Whether you met him in person or just though messages on here, phone calls, whatever means that he has touched your life. Rest Easy Sir!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He gave me all 40 lug nuts in a single plastic coffee can and told me to send what I took off my truck in the same. Floridianson provided an awesome cordless impact and we replaced my thimbles with the correct nuts. We spent some time sorting out left side and right and I made sure to sort out what came off of my truck to make it easier on Ron. Rest Easy Sir!

Joseph I am LMAO. He told me that story and added in his typical twang when he wanted to emphasis a point, "What did he expect? For me to put them on also."

Joseph, I do have to share with you after saying that he said he wish he had thought of doing that for you and was kicking himself for not thinking of organizing them.

I do have to add Ron hated Super Singles as much as CUCV's. I did not know you provided the nuts, thank you!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke to Ron's wife this afternoon.
She asked me to pass along her appreciation and heartfelt thanks to all y'all for your kind thoughts, many prayers, and offers of help. She has read this some of the earlier posts to this thread (and will likely return to read more) and is genuinely touch by the outpourings of love and emotion.

Ref Posts #73 & #90 of this thread....

Donations to assist Lucille Harris with final expenses and other needs have been flowing into the SteelSoldiers Benevolence Fund (SSBF) throughout today. To expedite this Love Offering, I have already sent the accumulated monies via PayPal to SWISS for delivery to her tomorrow. Additional donations are promised based on folks' paydays, non-paypal-access, and snail-mail factors. The SSBF will remain active for this purpose INDEFINITELY.
Please refer to Post #90 for instructions for sending donations.
Your big hearts are showing by the outpouring of assistance. There is still more need to be filled.

Thank you to all who have already responded and to those whose gifts are forthcoming.

If anyone feels the need to talk about what they are feeling, this Chaplain's ears are wide open. Grief and emotional trauma are two very vicious things for a person to deal with alone. Pastoral care is here to be had. Know that I can be called, emailed, PM'd at any time you might feel you need to get something off your chest. I may not have all the answers, but we serve the One God who surely does. Let's find what you need together.

John
SS Chaplain
San Angelo, TX, USA

PM via the SS website: USAFSS-ColdWarrior;
Call: Cell 325-234-2500; or,
Email: JEBariou@GMail.com

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sucks, I saw a posting about what happened on Facebook & was just shocked! What made it worse was when I saw the short video posted of the accident. I only talked to him a few times through messages on here, but he was always very helpful & I will be praying for all involved.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks