• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--73M819--Ron Harris

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Derek he dickered with everybody. When I first saw the post of his passing yesterday, I was explaining to my wife why I became so verklempt looking at the SS site. Two years ago at the Ga rally. I had got there at the first of the week(Tues), I had a bunch of white arctic fly's for the USMC 4 man tent for $10, Ron came by every day trying talk me down. My style is to drop prices every day till late Sat afternoon when I have my packing up to leave fall of Saigon sale. He came by around noon when the few I had left were at $5 but wanted to pay no more than $2, he told me would gamble and get one at the pack up sale. Not 30 mins after he left somebody bought all I had left at the asking price. He came by that afternoon looking for them and realized they were all gone and asked if I had more at home, I answered no. As he started to walk away I yelled at him and tossed Ron the one I had put aside for him. I told him it was on the house for all the time and energy he had spent to get it. Sunday on the way home I moved my map on the dash and there was a thank you and $2 from Ron.
He wanted those 10-ton aviation jack stands I had at a rally. Brand new $150. He tried but I wouldn't budge so he said he'd take them. Then he wanted to make payments. I had to give him that for as hard as he worked on trying to get the price lower. :)

I also remember him complementing me on how well I was doing the two years I was the boss at the GA Rally.

I'll miss KGR.

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It’s been very meaningful to read everyone’s sentiments and stories about Ron. He definitely touched a lot of lives through the military vehicle hobby. It’s amazing how close we can get to people who share our passion for green iron. This tragic loss has also brought up a lot of memories of other MV guys who were taken too soon. ARMYMAN30PLUSYEARS and John Winslow have been on my mind a lot over the last few days.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............This tragic loss has also brought up a lot of memories of other MV guys who were taken too soon. .....
Yeah, sadly the list keeps growing...

But then there is this saying: "A man is not dead while his name is still spoken"... Pretty sure "KG-Ron-Older-Than-Rock" will live-on here on SS, for generations!

MikesDeuce

i made it to page 4 before completely breaking down at work. i found about this late last night and i literally have no words.

Mr Ron was was MY mentor. not just in this stupid addiction. but he would call to check up on my kids... we would talk for hours on end.

i cant say enough about him and those that knew him can understand what im trying to say.

he seriously was (more than) my own father.

i literally cant believe this ****. but also only such a person as Mr. Ron would ever be lucky enough to "go-out" doing what he loved. after 4 pages of all of your posts, it made me realize how much of an effect he had on everyone, not just me.

im in ****ing shambles at work right now.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Even in his passing Ron has taught me a valuable lesson. Last year at the Georgia Rally we put together a yard sale to raise money to help cover associated cost. Many members including myself brought items to donate. Ron stopped me on the way to the RT to see what I was doing and bought 3 items, at the asking price, I guess I price things to low? Thanks Ron for the life lesson, see you on the other side.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s been very meaningful to read everyone’s sentiments and stories about Ron. He definitely touched a lot of lives through the military vehicle hobby. It’s amazing how close we can get to people who share our passion for green iron. This tragic loss has also brought up a lot of memories of other MV guys who were taken too soon. ARMYMAN30PLUSYEARS and John Winslow have been on my mind a lot over the last few days.
Chris,
I too have been reflecting on those veterans of this hobby who have gone on to what one member called in a phone call last night: "That big motor pool in the sky."

One day, we will each join them there. But in the meantime, we remain on duty here carrying their memories, preserving "their" trucks, and recounting the blessings they have been to us.

I hesitate beginning to list their names not wanting to miss any.

Chris, did you ever imagine the impact you would have on the WORLD when you first created this website?
I thank you for following that path that was lighted for you, and for your "blind" willingness to take that fork in the road that has brought us all together. Through our common interests in MV's deeper bonds have been forged. These family ties at times seem stronger than blood relations.
What a blessing.

Today, we miss and memorialize Ron Harris.
So as not to hijack this thread, let's keep it on remembering the good man that he was, and will be remembered as being.

John

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron's Talent

I wish I had 10% of the talent Ron had around projects. If he only had the money, he would have had a 10 bay shop producing custom builds shipping out all over the world. There really was no problem he could not solve.

Out of all his projects, BART stands out as a true showcase of his talent. At 70 years old basically by himself and his wrecker he designed, fabricated, built, tested and got operational an amazing machine over a 2 year period. There are thousands of stories behind this truck and maybe one day I can document them but for now anyone that missed the build thread please spend a few minutes to understand Ron's capabilities and results.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?147476-Code-name-BART-(Bad-A**-Recovery-Truck)

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had 10% of the talent Ron had around projects. If he only had the money, he would have had a 10 bay shop producing custom builds shipping out all over the world. There really was no problem he could not solve.

Out of all his projects, BART stands out as a true showcase of his talent. At 70 years old basically by himself and his wrecker he designed, fabricated, built, tested and got operational an amazing machine over a 2 year period. There are thousands of stories behind this truck and maybe one day I can document them but for now anyone that missed the build thread please spend a few minutes to understand Ron's capabilities and results.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?147476-Code-name-BART-(Bad-A**-Recovery-Truck)
A magnificent mobile monument to this memorable man.

Artisan

___This thread is a virtual who's who in the SS Green World, certainly a testament
to the man. I have not logged in for a couple weeks I guess, I did not find
out this devestating news until I texted Wes this AM.
___No doubt my friend DrillerSurplus (Bruce Neiermeyer) was there to meet
Ron on the way in and dollars to donuts parts are being negotiated as we speak
and Bruce has a project for Ron to get going on...
___I was not as fortunate as many here in their relationship w/ Ron alas this
news is still hard to fathum. Years ago when I was flying planes I
learned that when a fellow pilot fell to an untimely demise it affected
me a bit harder then another, same holds true for these green beasts.
They are big, they are bad and they can bite, it matters not whom
is behind the wheel. Two hands ALWAYS on the wheel guys and if
people in small cars are not cutting in front of you, your driving too close.
___I sincerley hope all whom were / are involved can quickly learn to smile again soon,
...prayers sent.
Brad

dmetalmiki

I never did like the cab design on those.... zero protection... sad day...
So very very sad. And as this post outlines SO clearly,, BIGGER is NOT SAFER.
This being the second such sad occurrence, We MUST ensure (Yet again),that we take a lot more care and consideration in our driving with these vehicle, And in ANY conditions that we may encounter in so doing.
This I will NEVER (In the future) Not be very mindful of.

A really big Thank you" is extended from the U.K. members of the hobby, To Ron, (AND very much so),: to his remaining family in "Allowing" Him to contribute and guide us all through our various adventures and problems in pursuing the hobby we all enjoy so very much...

Close friends of Ron, his wife, and his family, Please pass on the sentiment in the above paragraph to his wife and family when conducive and respectful so to do.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So very very sad. And as this post outlines SO clearly,, BIGGER is NOT SAFER.
This being the second such sad occurrence, We MUST ensure (Yet again),that we take a lot more care and consideration in our driving with these vehicle, And in ANY conditions that we may encounter in so doing.
This I will NEVER (In the future) Not be very mindful of.

A really big Thank you" is extended from the U.K. members of the hobby, To Ron, (AND very much so),: to his remaining family in "Allowing" Him to contribute and guide us all through our various adventures and problems in pursuing the hobby we all enjoy so very much...

Close friends of Ron, his wife, and his family, Please pass on the sentiment in the above paragraph to his wife and family when conducive and respectful so to do.
Thank you.
SWISS is geographically close to Ron & Lucille's home, and Lucille has personally been reading some of these posts. Rest assured that your message will be conveyed if not read.

A fresh facet of Ron's ambassadorship for the MV hobby just came to me, unwritten in your post, but certainly worthy of mention.....

Ron's life, his passion for MV's and for helping others had an absolutely WORLDWIDE reach. As widespread as the internet extends, Ron embraced us all.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My ownership of an M816 wrecker might have been short lived, but when I was trying to understand the automatic sprag 6x6 feature on the truck, Ron reached out to try and explain the workings to me. Eventually he gave me his phone number as it was easier for him to just talk to me and explain about adding an air switch to the transfer case to be similiar to a deuce's air-shift front axle engage feature. I called him a couple times about various wrecker related things. I remember the second time he was out driving an MV and asked to call me back so he could pull off the road and talk. He basically dropped everything he was doing to sit in a parking lot off the side of road and talk for an hour at a time that was convenient for me.

The thing that stood out to me most on the forum here were his many offerings to drive someone's MV across country for very little, be it recovery, move, or otherwise.

God bless ya Ron, family, and legacy.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just want to share a few of my memories about Ron.

I honestly do not remember if I met Ron in person at the Georgia Military Vehicle Rally first or at one of Zout's cookouts first, but I do remember it took about five friggin minutes for him to get on my nerves!! THEN we had a talk, hugged it out and became Brothers.

From that time on Ron was a part of most of my adventures including the GunTruck Gathering here in Columbus, several Veterans Parades, an MVPA Convention, several cookouts at Zout's AO and each year at the GA Rally.

Ron was the type of guy that would drop what he was doing and come help in whatever project/adventure we were working on and dive right in the middle of things.

I was impressed from day one by Ron's love for his wife Lucille and he always found a way to work her into nearly every conversation. I'll have to say I admire men like that when many are the opposite and talk down their wives.

Poor Ron was on the receiving end of Tony's wrath one time when he moved the Proud American GunTruck and rubbed a curb with the right steer tire. Ron asked me to intercede and I said "you're on your own Brother, it will feel better as soon as it stops hurting".

We always asked Ron to eat with us at the GA Rallys as he was a full fledged CAMO Member. It took a while to realize he was hitting other campsites and munching there as well!! Where the heck did he put it all??? He was skinny!!

Oh....and the dogs....Ron was always saying dogs were good to eat and threatening to eat Molly (Zout's dog)....she was afraid of him. HOWEVER!!! Ron never ONCE made a move on BabyBear!!

I could go on and on but I won't.

I'll close with this:

Ron Harris was a good man, a good family man, a good member of SS, a good member of CAMO and by God...he was a good American.

Rest in Peace my Brother....We have the watch.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a lot of axles from John Winslow over many years. I think of him from time to time.

sandcobra164

I agree PB, we all could go on and on about stories of Ron. I think this thread is moving in a positive direction. Grief goes through a few stages and we've all gone through disbelief, slow acceptance to what has taken place and now let's fill this thread up with Joyful of Memories of Ron Harris. In regards to him scuffing the tires on the curb in Proud American, he funneled Tony's anger to me when I put the paint mark on the passenger side of the front bumper when I hit the fence behind a gas station. Ron used to get on my tail quite a bit but it never really bothered me. That was just his nature. He always loved to talk though and would call me out of the blue to discuss rocket science during his builds. I'm not a rocket scientist but he'd ask me how certain components on modern trucks were supposed to work so he could draw some chalk marks on his blackboard.

zout

Reminds me of setting up Ron at our pig roast a few memories back. He wanted so badly to put the 250 lb piggy on the grill with his wrecker. Well it was too easy for him so I started betting folks Ron could flip a burger on a grill with a spatula ducked taped to his wrecker boom. I know he was proud he did I it and ticked off folks they owed him some money.
Posted just to bring a little smile to you tonight.
We do have a few buddies hanging around together....first one was Tigger who has a buddy around.

Deb came home and told me what I consider my stepmother passed away this morning as well. Now those 2 knuckleheads have company to keep a hand on them.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'm still trying to process this. I'm back in school and for the last two days I have been in a funk. I told my instructor what happened and he said to take it easy and go back to work when I feel like it.

This evening I was putt putting around on the tractor moving hay for the Boss Lady and something dumb went wrong and was was fixing to launch into one of my fits when I remembered my promise to be a "Kinder and Gentler Richard" and just let it go.

Thanks Ron....even after leaving us you are having a positive effect on your friends. I'll take it day to day until the hurt is gone and the memories remain.

I also want the thank our "Sky Pilot" (the Chaplain) for the talk we had yesterday.......John is a good man and we are lucky he stepped up to see to the spiritual needs of this rag tag band of misfits, curmudgeons and reprobates that make this hobby fun and interesting.

Please remember Ron's family and if you can spare some Federal Reserve Notes contribute to the Benevolence Fund to help them defray the costs that are always associated with a terrible tragedy like this.

I'm looking forward to Ron's Memorial.......we can all get together and toast our friend and tell tales about him. Ya'll come.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I’m heart broken to see him go, but loving seeing the community come together in honor and remembrance of him & his legacy. Reading through the different stories every night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks