• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

remote control M35A2C hood

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
Bill in Pa. here. Working on a 1987 M35A2C
Thought some of you might like this idea.
With myself not getting any younger, opening the hood all the way and closing can be iffy.
After installing the hood lift struts, they work great.
Didn't like the string to pull it back down.
I bought a small ATV winch.
Mounted a bracket to the front cross member in the existing holes.
There is a small piece of chain mounted behind the hood safety latch.
I used part of the roller fairlead supplied with the winch and made a bracket to attach to the grill guard.
Then welding the two together the cable don't rub the radiator.
push of a button it goes up. Push of a button it comes down.
MUCH safer and easier to check the oil and routine maintenance.

Here's a video
https://imageevent.com/binnalljr/deucepowersteering?p=6&n=1&m=24&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's unique! Do the gas springs go over center to hold it down when you had the string?

I wonder about an air cylinder? That would take air to open so might not be desired, although I think there would be a way to make it open manually and let the air out slow to close.

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I considered air cylinders.
BUT as we all know these things leak air over time.
So sitting for a week or two there would be no way to open the hood to check the oil before starting

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a cool solution. Because my brain is weird, I was thinking "You can use that as an air brake in case you need to slow down!". Don't pay attention.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks