• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help, HWWMV Armor doors

avman

I need to replace some rivets to attache the armor door to xdoor. Does anyone have a part number or a place to order these from?

Thanks

NormB

I'm as much of a free market entrepreneur as the next guy, but, CONCRETE BARRIER THAT STOPS RIVERS! (so's the auto censor doesn't delete my message).

They're charging $0.81 a rivet (if you buy the set of 4 packs). That's almost four times market rate. Sure, you're paying for someone's time, trouble, packaging, advertising on the evil auction site, but still...

Doesn't anyone know the LENGTHS and QUANTITIES of the rivets needed?

This isn't work in progress, it's been done to death (and the search engine on this site, as is normal, is little help in finding the pertinent posts).

Thanks.

NB

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not quite an answer but not a hard solution...

Get a Vernier caliper.

Use the depth gauge and add 4mm or more.

Use the other side to measure the width of the hole.

Alternatively, size the width of the hole with a drill bit and mark and measure the same drill to measure depth.

Then post the answers, I guess.

Either that, or take a hint from NormB's signature...Install a bunch a rivnuts and screw the door into place using epoxy to doubly secure the nuts and red lock-tite fluid to secure the screws.

As far as a concrete barrier, you could use a similar idea to sew and repair socks (darn). Polite and unlikely to offend or set off the Mods or the Forum censor program.

Last edited:

papakb

Avman, pages 7,8, and 9 of this Cherrymax chart will give you what you need to know to get your doors together. The most commonly used rivets in the HMMWV are 3/16" diameter although there are some other sizes used. They can be installed with pneumatic or manual riveters, personally I like the ones made by FSI. They are called blind rivets and are made by several manufacturers. Because they are designed for aircraft use you're going to pay a lot for product tracking if you buy new ones but I've purchased hundreds of them surplus off of auction sites and never had any problems with them. New ones are available from places like Aircraft Spruce and McMaster-Carr.

ttp://www.n2999c.com/N2999C-info/aircraft/Skyranch_Information/rivet_cherrymax.pdf

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to replace some rivets to attache the armor door to xdoor. Does anyone have a part number or a place to order these from?

Thanks

its a simple aluminum pop rivet...3/16 and available at any hardware store, just make sure to use a backing plate on the rivet, you can buy those too or just use a 3/16 washer on each. I’ve Installed thousands of these.

NormB

Pretty sure CherryView attachment 754390 has a gauge that is used for this purpose.

Thanks guys.

Definitely gives me some ideas NOT involving rivets. couple 8-32 rivnuts and run screws from INSIDE, seal outside, that can work.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Or measure with the gauge and buy the rivets by the 100-count for $13/100.

I went ahead and ordered that gauge and the other for my toolbox.

NB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks