• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 Newbie needs Trailer Air-Brake Gladhand help

resQav8r

My first post to the Forum; I'm a helo driver (so I can read a TM but need pictures) but not a truck guy :lol: so likely to get a few things wrong.

... been digging through the excellent sticky at https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140345-Air-Brake-Info-and-Troubleshooting and other treads but not finding something that is probably a simple thing. I can't get air pressure past the circled valves to trailer (system is charging and holds good pressure on the truck side).

1) I want to know what the valves I have circled in yellow are?
Distribution? Shut-off? (guess 3way ... OFF / pintlel hitch / 5th wheel glad-hand)
--- there are two identical valves (primary blue and emergency red) for the glad-hands but they look to be a 2 or 3 way shut off because they have a hand lever.
--- the valve elbows & fittings are rusted through but no air leak ... I find that odd (M1088 came from Hawaii ... runs/drives fine).
--- I have removed the valves to attempt to buy replacements ... but an online search hasn't revealed anything close.
2) What is stopping air from arriving to this valve? (my guess another valve downstream since there's no airleak here even with dash trailer valve pulled)
3) Can someone please tell me the part name +/or part number and who sells them?
M1088 Trailer Air Valve 0sml.jpg
Thanks for giving it a look ... I plan to replace all the lines but first need to move a ROPU trailer on my property so I want this to function.
--- ALSO if there are any Mechanics with LMTV experience in Reno I'd love to hire you ... (there's a motorpool with these down in Carson City so I hope to find someone who can give this truck a proper PMC).

resQav8r

Yes Derrick .. I tried both ways having yellow (parking) pulled with red (trailer) pushed both pulled and both released ... no matter what I tried I could not get air to the spot from where I removed this valve. I assume the motorpool in Hawaii did something since the union is rusted clean through. Ironically these types of valves look very common for liquid applications but I suspect they would not be air tight if made for wet plumbing.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The thru frame anchor fitting that you have rusted in the lower right picture is a parker # 207ACBH8 that goes into a basic brass t fitting

resQav8r

Yes @wheelspinner I am sure I will need some parts. I will PM you with a list of what I think I might need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks