• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 bearings quite warm

shotty

Today I took a fully loaded M101A2 for a 15 mile round trip, fully loaded (2250 lbs) and when I got back I checked the hubs as I had just installed new bearings. They were quite warm. Not too hot to hold on to but almost. In my experience, this is not a good sign. I went home and double checked and I had the axle nuts only finger tight, after torquing and backing odd. I can feel and hear just the slightest amount of play in the hub, so I know it's not too tight. This seems like perhaps this just the way its going to be with a 1500lb trailer loaded with 2250 lbs of stuff?

truck1

I've loaded mine with 1 1/2 T many times and the bearings get warmer but not too hot to touch. Did you grease them thoroughly? I've always greased bearings by hand, but bought a pressure cup style grease kit. You know they are saturated after using. There is a TM available on line, and here on SS that describes servicing the M101 series with nut torque values and such. Sounds like dry or loose bearings to me.

shotty

They are definitely packed with grease, and there is only the slightest amount of play. To remove the play I might have to go past finger tight and that feels like it might be too tight.

DeadParrot

My M101A1 runs warmer empty than my M1101 runs loaded. But it is still in the just warm category, not hot to touch.

Might feel the brake drums and make sure that you don't have heat from brakes warming up the hubs. If the park brakes are tight or you had a lot of surge brake engagement, could be where the heat came from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks