• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Estimating production year of an M151A2

Were there any differences among the M151A2s according to their production years i.e., did the early A2s differ in anyway from the late A2s - visibly or otherwise? If data plates do not exist and documents do not indicate the production date, is there any other way one could estimate the production year group ( for example, 1969-72 or 72-74 or 74-79 and so on)?

dustoff34

if my memory is correct? early a2s were made by Ford Motor Co, then the contract ended and AM General took over late 71 or 72. The Ford fenders would come up then straight out with the tear drop turn light mount. Am General come up and dips down then across to the turn light bucket bucket.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume the frame is stamped, but I am not certain of that.

I have a 1971 Ford M151A2. I did not know that the fenders on my MUTT were not identical to the others on newer A2s. If anyone has pictures showing the differences, I'd appreciate seeing that.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a few overall pictures of the vehicle and the engine compartment. Also on the horn has a data plate with a date. That will give you a close date also. But some overall pictures tell a lot of the story for the trained eye.

Here are some pix of the Ford M151A2 I am referring to. Did Ford produce M151A2 come with small lights below the headlights - like this one has? If not, could this be an M151A1 with A2 fenders? Or...an A2 with grille of an A1?!:roll:

Attachments

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some pictures of the rear and underside would help, but it appears you have an M151A2 with a M151A1 grill. The straight underside of the front fenders does indeed indicate it is a Ford built M151A2.

hambone

Seems to be a mixed jeep, has 2 circuit breakers like A2 but has A1 front grill, windshield and looks like A1 rear panel. I see A1 tail lights, like to see pic of rear.

nattieleather

Looks like you have a Ford A2 with a A1 grill. The composite lights on the fenders eliminated the need for black out marker lights in the grill. Therefore the A2 grill does not have the small black out marker lights in the grill because they are on the composite turnsignals lights. The body looks like it had some work done to it and some modifications such as the bottom of the side panels. The Axe and Shovel holds are missing on both sides and some of the footman loops seem to have disappeared. But all in all a good looking mutt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks