• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just joined the Deuce club!

MudMarine

The WW2 CKW dump truck had a bulkhead several feet behind the front of the body to keep the load to the rear as to not overload the hoist. These after market electric hoists will dump leaves but it will be easy to overload one with gravel. Better find a friend with a M817.
This is a great point!

fasttruck

I measured the body on the M35 here and figure, level with the top of the steel sides, loaded level it holds 3.83 yards. If we go with the Army's number of 2970#/yd that would indicate a load of 11,397# which overloads the truck for highway use and doubles the off road load. The Army used to put 1200 gal tanker pumper units in deuces which when full maxed out on highway weight. After a few wrecks in the field they switched to 5 tons for fuel trucks. M35, in spite of its ferocious appearance is little more than a F350 mason dump and should be treated and loaded accordingly,

fasttruck

Post 6 is right on with the weight. 175 tons at 2.5 tons per load is 70 loads. And hand bomb it off ? I hope you have a lot of good neighbors for this. An Army dump truck has an adjustable tail gate, and if chained to open at say 3" will lay a nice strip of gravel by itself.DRIVEWAY  STONING 5.31.2012 003.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured the body on the M35 here and figure, level with the top of the steel sides, loaded level it holds 3.83 yards. If we go with the Army's number of 2970#/yd that would indicate a load of 11,397# which overloads the truck for highway use and doubles the off road load. The Army used to put 1200 gal tanker pumper units in deuces which when full maxed out on highway weight. After a few wrecks in the field they switched to 5 tons for fuel trucks. M35, in spite of its ferocious appearance is little more than a F350 mason dump and should be treated and loaded accordingly,
Thanks for measuring and referencing! Yes, as I mentioned, level to the bed sides with river wash gravel I weigh in with about 6 metric tons load (slightly under). That is 12k lbs. It would put the truck just over the data plate load for highway use. I find that with a good hump in the middle, dropping down to half of the side height all around, I am closer to 5 tons and that is ok. I like to haul legal. Don't forget to tarp your load.

I learned that when going to the pit and dealing with loader operators that load tri-axles and semis all day long, you have to tune them to the fact that a Deuce is neither one of those! A guy dropped a five yard shovel full of material into my bed from a height where the Deuce groaned and jumped and I thought I'd gotten whiplash in the cab! You can't fix stoopid. Took me a while to shovel all the excessive material back out...

Last edited:

DB556

Well the road is going to be done in sections I don't have enough vacation to tackle it all at once, so it going to be a few tons at a time 3 at the most of #57 gravel. I'm planning on the dump hoist over the summer when I mount the knuckle boom crane.
So hopefully I'm Not going to unloading by hand but with the hoist and my skid steer. Here is the knuckle boom crane.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A knuckle boom is immensely practical to have. That one looks like a good size for the Deuce. As long as you can reach the rear of the bed and still have ok lift capacity. Are you going to shift the bed to the rear or shorten it?

DB556

A knuckle boom is immensely practical to have. That one looks like a good size for the Deuce. As long as you can reach the rear of the bed and still have ok lift capacity. Are you going to shift the bed to the rear or shorten it?
I'm actually going to mount it in the bed, with sub frame that goes through the bed to the frame, with a pivot pin on each corner so I can swing the crane to either side.
Its not that large of a crane actually, its only rated for half ton. But I'm going to do some work on it first and mount winch and a few LED light bars on it with pivots so I can raise the boom up and use it as a light plant. Though before that I need replace a few hydrualic flex lines with hard lines, to get the old engine off and replace it with a electric start 12.5hp B&S and I have a one wire alternator to mount on it for the 12v battery.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site, and I am very interested in seeing pics of your progress & completion. Thanks for sharing!

fasttruck

As I am sure you know putting knuckle booms and dump hoists on increases the tare eight and proportionally reduces the payload even further. After you make these additions think about taking the finished vehicle to a scale and get its true weight so you can figure out how much to put in it before it is overloaded. I knew a guy who had a fatal accident with an eighteen wheeler while hauling bricks. The DOT picked up every single brick and weighed it all to try to hang a manslaughter rap on him for being overloaded. DOTs have no sense of humor if something goes wrong and they can pin an equipment violation on you.

DB556

As I am sure you know putting knuckle booms and dump hoists on increases the tare eight and proportionally reduces the payload even further. After you make these additions think about taking the finished vehicle to a scale and get its true weight so you can figure out how much to put in it before it is overloaded. I knew a guy who had a fatal accident with an eighteen wheeler while hauling bricks. The DOT picked up every single brick and weighed it all to try to hang a manslaughter rap on him for being overloaded. DOTs have no sense of humor if something goes wrong and they can pin an equipment violation on you.
The knuckle boom is actually rather light only 400ish pounds I walked it off the trailer. And the bed hoist if I build it should be about the same so I'm loosing less than a half a ton. I hope the SF97 and PennDot hijinks aren't going to be horrible.

fasttruck

The knuckle boom and hoist, while being worthy add ons will also deprive you of 20% of your off road capacity and 10% of your on road capacity which are not insignificant numbers for a truck this small. I am always intrigued by posts from volunteer fire departments that want to put 1200 gallons of water tanks plus a pump, hose, and tools in one of these things and then drive it in the woods. Not surprisingly a leading cause of firefighter fatalities in wildland operations involved tanker roll overs. Pendot ? I wish they did as good a job on snow removal and ice control in the winter as they do looking for equipment and lob book violations all year.

DB556

Wow I was getting quotes to get it hauled $1100 :(
And that was the lowest...

Just hit up Napa for fuel filters and fuses, going to see if I can talk them into letting my try to drive it back.

Last edited:

DB556

All the filters
Grabbed two batteries at rural king, pulled two 5 gallon buckets of rotella out of the shed.
Got a pile of silicon orings for the HH, got a piece of 3/8 dowel rod,
Pulled 15 feet of link belt out of the mechanical supplies shelves.
Grabbed a bunch of pipe fittings off of my work bench.
Two jerry cans of diesel, a bunch of carb and break cleaner, plus starting fluid.
4 gallons of water and 2 of antifreeze.
gladhand fitting and 50' of hose. my 1/2 impact and my 3/4 socket set and the pipe of cheating
But my radios on to charge and dug my comtac's out, extra 18650s for my head lamps and light.
10 ton bottle jack and some pieces of 4x4
Ordered a cheap thermocople readout off amazon, and some Ktypes with 1/8npt incase I have some non functional gauges.
flare nut wrenches, crows foots, my big box end set, mechanics set.
voltmeter, wire, solder, crimps, soldering iron, fuses.
diesel fuel pump, 24v-12v dc-dc converter, air brake lines, and fuel hose, barbs.
Flares, reflectors, tow strap, highlift jack, winch,
Long underware, carharts, gloves, coffee, beef jerky, propane buddy heater, truck gun, G27
ducktape

I think I have everything....
Probably...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DB556, you are planning a serious attack there! New filters, HH O-rings, oil change, coolant top up, all aired up.....she'll fire right up! Don't forget brake fluid and a means to bleed the brakes! I see you have duct tape, so you are going to be just fine!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the filters
Grabbed two batteries at rural king, pulled two 5 gallon buckets of rotella out of the shed.
Got a pile of silicon orings for the HH, got a piece of 3/8 dowel rod,
Pulled 15 feet of link belt out of the mechanical supplies shelves.
Grabbed a bunch of pipe fittings off of my work bench.
Two jerry cans of diesel, a bunch of carb and break cleaner, plus starting fluid.
4 gallons of water and 2 of antifreeze.
gladhand fitting and 50' of hose. my 1/2 impact and my 3/4 socket set and the pipe of cheating
But my radios on to charge and dug my comtac's out, extra 18650s for my head lamps and light.
10 ton bottle jack and some pieces of 4x4
Ordered a cheap thermocople readout off amazon, and some Ktypes with 1/8npt incase I have some non functional gauges.
flare nut wrenches, crows foots, my big box end set, mechanics set.
voltmeter, wire, solder, crimps, soldering iron, fuses.
diesel fuel pump, 24v-12v dc-dc converter, air brake lines, and fuel hose, barbs.
Flares, reflectors, tow strap, highlift jack, winch,
Long underware, carharts, gloves, coffee, beef jerky, propane buddy heater, truck gun, G27
ducktape

I think I have everything....
Probably...
You have it covered, if it was summer, a can of Wasp/Horent spray. With all that preparations, Mr. Murphy will most likely leave you alone. ROAD TRIP.

rustystud

I like it too and you got a good deal. It's got some goodies in very good condition like the fold down bed sides and the hard top. Do a bit of research on what to put over that gloss paint in 383 green flat and it will look just right. Try a spot with the Behr house paint sample size to the FS colors for under $10....it might work fine for brushing and rolling on by farm helper 2. Nice truck.

How about using the tires in your construction, filling them with dirt and stacking them as retaining walls? Make cool shapes that would be great for a range.

Hauling 175 tons without a hoist may be an issue.
That is a great idea for those tires ! Out here you have to pay for each tire if you take them to the dump. At $5.00 a tire it can really add up !

DB556

Well It was a 12 hour day today, but I have it at my storage yard. There was some digging going on on my road so we had to stash it there.

Many many thanks to Dillon and his wrecker!

But left my place at 08:00 got there at 10:15 and signed for it and went back to the lot, and it looked great! Had almost new 9.00-20's, some nice bench seat out of I'm guessing a ford truck, found some bows and a softtop in the bed under ice/snow, a bunch of TM's under the seat along with some test light. Awesome!
I started digging it out, popped hood all stock, They had some external lights and I see they cut out a 12v battery isolator/spliter setup, so I'll have to bypass that.
Threw some group 31's in the box, had a few extra battery wires but she cranks and pops with starting fluid, actually has the cold weather ether setup already.
But we didn't get her running, we cracking the bleeders and fuel there, but none at the injectors lines so there is something screwy in the HH or stop cable all filters had fuel, tank pump runs and pumps, tank was completely full actually.
So Dillon yanked her out after beating the parking brake free. Add one very heavy tow bar, and away we go! Got some fuel, put 18.8 in my 19gal tank on my jeep on the way back.
Then got stuck in traffic on rt22 after there was a bad accident a few miles ahead so hurrah detours. Some cellphone charging, then a time later...

Where there! but the road is a sheet of ice. Que a steelsoldiers rendition of deuces on ice: the musical extravaganza!
Then there was some tire chains, a sharp turn, a crane, a jeep and some strap, night fall, sliding, spinning, then a torture test of a smittybuiltt 8000lb winch to pull it the last 200 feet.

Finally spot at 18:45
But here she is! I'm actually thinking of keeping it red for a while and just get rid of the decals. I'll grab some more pictures off my gopro in a minute.

20190202_112853.jpg20190202_112904.jpg20190202_112907.jpg

MudMarine

Man that paint job and decals are dope! I'd keep them there! Heck I'd add some old school globe style red lights and make that truck parade ready!

Glad you got home safe, sounds like a heck of an adventure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks