• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 Grove Crane Issues

BHathaway52

I hope I am getting this in the right place!

I am working on a M1083 with a Grove crane on the back for a customer of mine.

Model: FMTV-C
Grove America: 12361
MFR Part No: 1-195-0-00512
Serial No:83513

Built the year after I was born I just realized. 1992 Haha

I have been following the troubleshooting procedures in the tech manuals, but keep ending up at Contact DS Maintenance without a conclusion to what my problem is. Have done many searches on here and haven't found much directly pertaining to crane operation issues.

Everything works if the main power box is turned off and I hit the manual override switch.

If the main power box is turned on I hear a click and the bottom three controls work, LH outrigger, RH outrigger, and mast up/down. None of the four upper controls will work with main power box turned on even if I hit manual override switch.

It's got to be an electrical issue, pretty sure I am not getting any power to the top four valve solenoid if I checked them correctly.

Really could use an actual wiring diagram instead of the troubleshooting guide if anyone knows where to get one!

Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The 4 upper controls wont work until the outriggers are on the ground

The truck is a 1084

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is the only way to override the lock for the boom is to have the outriggers down. The manual override is for if a hydraulic line is busted and you need to manually lift or retract something as it will release the check valve so that the outriggers or boom can be moved with other equipment.Or in the matter of a circuit failure in the power box. The manual override can not override the power switch safety while the power to it is on.

BHathaway52

Thanks for the info simp5782, I've started my own mobile repair business after turning wrenches for John Deere dealerships for 6 years. One of my customers has six of these trucks, and nobody else wants to touch them. Been interesting figuring out the various systems, but this place has been a great resource!

Fireball, sure there isn't an idiot apprenticeship available? Haha Oh wait, that's called life and the school of hard knocks, I'm already enrolled in classes!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Check out my youtube page for some repair tips on them. Member suprman will be your parts source along with the Quick reference parts spreadsheet located in the stickies of the LMTV/FMTV forum.

BHathaway52

Alright, was able to make it out to the truck again and test the controls with both outriggers all the way down. Still no response from my upper four controls. Is this circuit activated by the hydraulic controls lockout relay looking thing in the main power box?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a bracket to hold bypass button in and everything works.
This does bypass safety so don't be picking any thing you seem to heavy for crane.

BHathaway52

Not a bad idea Coffey! Were it my personal machine I would probably do that. However, being a customer's machine and they have a multitude of different people that might be running it my guess is they'll probably want it to work properly to avoid liability issues. Not to mention it might come back one me unless I have them sign some sort of form I reckon.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is the proximity sensor plugged in or taken any damage during operation? There is one on top of each jack and one on the winch.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes. It is simply a pressure switch that when pressure is applied to the switch from the outrigger it allows power to go thru it and return to the control box releasing the safety lock.

BHathaway52

Crane is working! Thanks for the help guys! Figured out I wasn’t getting enough pressure put down by the outriggers to activate the proximity sensors.

One of them was missing the pad and wasn’t able to put down enough pressure. Put a block of wood under it and everything works!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks