• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Potentiometer stripped (no effect) on 60 Amp Alternator

Tnkr59

Ok, I've been going through my 998 and was checking the charging system since the batteries don't seem to be getting a charge. I performed the check on voltage output and with the engine running a bit higher rpm than idle, its showing 24.3 volts. I tried adjusting the output via the Phillips screw potentiometer with no effect, and actually noticed that the screw is just free spinning (or stripped out?).
My next step will be to remove the alternator to disassemble and clean.
Do the rebuild kits I see advertised include a replacement potentiometer? Or, is my alternator shot altogether?

Thanks for any help.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pot. is part of the replaceable rear regulator.
But there are a couple brands....regulators look the same but one won't fit like the other.
[h=2][/h]

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem with mine. I replaced my whole regulator, but want to replace the pot on the old one so it can sit in spare. If you figure our a good part number or specs for that pot, please share it here.
BDGR

Tnkr59

A little more help please.
After installing the new regulator, it ran well for a minute (29v adjusted to 28v, then dropped out) I found the brushes to be shot. Ordered new brushes and installed them. Now it’s running a solid 24.92v but again no effect from the pot.
Could the regulator have shorted?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks