• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner of 1997 LMTV

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings all.
During the the process of getting my EUC approved I have been doing a lot of reading here. Always amazes me the amount of knowledge and helpfulness. I will post in the transportation section regarding getting the truck out west but can safely say that getting the truck here was easier and quicker then I had imagined. Joey from United Sates of Freight was awesome from the beginning to the end. Driver showed up and we replaced the batteries and got the truck off before the wind and the rain set in. So thanks to him.
Truck is the standard issues 1078. Once the new batteries were installed it started right up and built pressure. Used another truck to help it off the trailer and on to the ground. The only issue I can see currently is that the transmission does not engage. Controller lights up and displays a zero. I can function Mode on and off but ti will not engage forward or rear gears. I pulled the code of the controller and it look like D1 43-26 is the code. However looking at the Allison codes It doesn't seem to mention a 43. When I get back to the truck I will check connections. Hopefully locate the connection on the tranny to see if everything is OK. ALso lights dont seem to work and cant seem to unlock the lights to allow them to come on.
I have had Unimogs (1300) in the past and am also into Land Rovers but have always wanted to try one of these trucks out. And like a lot of others, I will be building a camper as soon as I get the truck up and running.

Once again, Thanks to all who contribute,
Blair

coachgeo

G....
Truck is the standard issues 1078. O....

The only issue I can see currently is that the transmission does not engage. Controller lights up and displays a zero.....
what year truck? What engine?

how solid is 24v showing on voltmeter when running...... poor 24v output throws the tranny into a "what the **** is going on... I can't work in these conditions" mode.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, Put the year in the title. 1997 w/3116. Shows good 24v on in cab gauge. Also reads 24v at the batteries. I need to see what the voltage coming is in to verify they are charging however. I need to get to the transmission relays under the main fuse panel to make sure everything is in place i suppose.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have them and have been going through them. Interesting that fault 43 shows in the TM but not in any of the Allison information I have found.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, hobby (Frustrations!), friendships and knowledge Then the events to come.
Good luck in your quest to rectify the 'fault' ASAP.,
Post up the cure, when you effect it.

Last edited:

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to make it back down to the truck. Its parked at a friends because I live up on top of a hill that the delivery truck couldn't navigate.
Tool the laptop with me so that I could look at the TM. First thing I checked was transmission fluid. None registered on it while cold. Idled engine for a bit and checked level while idling and didnt see anything on the stick. I did buy 5 gallons of 15/40 today so probably seeing if I can get fluid to register on the stick is a good starting point.Not sure if the Allison has a fail safe for low fluid causing it not to engage.

Blair

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
43-26 is "low side driver N solenoid circuit". The N solenoid controls low range and first gear. Driver refers to the solenoid driver. Low side means the return side of the circuit, not the high side. What I don't understand is this fault does not inhibit shifting. Are there more codes? Clear the codes and try again. Check the harnesses on the transmission carefully for damage.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...took the laptop with me and began reading the TM's. Last night when I took delivery I checked to see if their was fluid present. It looked like their was. Ended up being the shiner side of the dipstick and in low light looked like it had fluid. In the light of day and 5 gallons later I can safely say that the transmission had no fluid in it. Its my understanding that the transmission holds 10 gallons and all I had was five with me.
I would imagine it would trow all kinds of codes having no fluid...
Blair

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So. Made it back to the truck this morning. Added oil and the only thing that seems to change are the fault codes. Can’t clear codes once read. The only thing it will do it switch in and out of modes once the attempt to clear codes is made.
These are the codes with D1 at the top.
I have gone from the front back to the transmission looking for damage or loose connections but found nothing.

coachgeo

some searches for fault codes in google might help. this tranny is extremely similar to the Allison 3060. quick search came up with a lot of info.

also in here is a link to PDF with the list of fault codes. A search in here using the terms "fault codes" might find it. Same search on the net should find it as well. Here is one from top of net search list

http://beamalarm.com/Documents/allison_transmission_codes_manual.html

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4422 short to ground G solenoid, 4514 open circuit c solenoid circuit, 4326 low side driver N solenoid circuit, 4516 open circuit e solenoid circuit, 5788 range verification c3ps test N1. All these codes cause DNS or do not shift. Again, carefully inspect the harness from stem to stern, looking for cuts, abrasions, etc. Look carefully at the harness where it flexes for cab tilt. It would be highly unusual for all these problems to exist with multiple solenoids.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4422 short to ground G solenoid, 4514 open circuit c solenoid circuit, 4326 low side driver N solenoid circuit, 4516 open circuit e solenoid circuit, 5788 range verification c3ps test N1. All these codes cause DNS or do not shift. Again, carefully inspect the harness from stem to stern, looking for cuts, abrasions, etc. Look carefully at the harness where it flexes for cab tilt. It would be highly unusual for all these problems to exist with multiple solenoids.
Thank you for that. interestingly I took my volt meter and unplugged the P119 at the bulkhead connector to test to the transmission solinoids. Went through all the pins according to the TM's for resistance. All but the 4422 came back within spec. came back as .3 . Does that mean that its bad?
Thanks all for the help.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks