• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner of 1997 LMTV

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats what will happen today. Should of inspected it closer the first time...

Blair

Last edited:

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrighty... So I went down and spent some time at the shop today poking around the truck with my multimeter and computer. New code 4474, 5788 (both relating to the C solenoid) able to be cleared but return as soon as the truck is started and upon further investigation correct Ohm reading is present at the bulkhead connector going back to the transmission.
Next thing to check was being able to read Ohms for the C solenoid from the cab. Steering wheel was removed and I unplugged the connectors on the back of the keypad/ecu in order to follow the process outlined in the TM's. Made a jumper cable for the bulkhead fitting then went to the cab and tried reading continuity on the J connector. I was unable to read anything. Looked at the plug to make sure nothing had pulled out and noticed that one of the ports on the plug i was supposed to connect to didn't have a wire and was blanked off with what looks like a factory blue plug. No wire was there. TM's say their should be one but none is there.
I hope that makes sense...
Blair

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are allison pinouts online. Have you by chance opened up th vim module there are relays and 2 fuses in there. It’s behind the passenger kick panel.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the pinouts in the Allison manual I attached. That is what I used to repair a '97 Wtec.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are allison pinouts online. Have you by chance opened up th vim module there are relays and 2 fuses in there. It’s behind the passenger kick panel.
I actually have the the pinout guide NDT posted. Just trying to wrap my brain around all the information.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the pinouts in the Allison manual I attached. That is what I used to repair a '97 Wtec.
I have been going through that. Thank you. Learning how to read the schematics...
The other odd thing is that the 4414 code states that it shouldn't start in neutral with this code if I am understanding it correctly. Truck starts up with no problem.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turbine speed sensor. Pulled the pan and dropped the control module and found that. Odd plastic is damaged but not the metal. A problem none the less. Finally figuring out how to post pics...
Blair
IMG_0135.jpg

wandering neurons

That's a Hall (magnetic) sensor and has no moving parts inside. Measures rotation speed. If you ohm it out you should read between 300 and 400 ohms depending on the temperature. You should also be getting a code 2215 if there's a failure. They're pretty bulletproof. Maybe you have a failure in the sensor wiring where it exits the pan. I had that years ago on a similar transmission in an RV - wiring harness was picking up spurious signals and I had to create a new harness for the sensors.

Turbine speed sensor. Pulled the pan and dropped the control module and found that. Odd plastic is damaged but not the metal. A problem none the less. Finally figuring out how to post pics...
Blair
View attachment 759863

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a Hall (magnetic) sensor and has no moving parts inside. Measures rotation speed. If you ohm it out you should read between 300 and 400 ohms depending on the temperature. You should also be getting a code 2215 if there's a failure. They're pretty bulletproof. Maybe you have a failure in the sensor wiring where it exits the pan. I had that years ago on a similar transmission in an RV - wiring harness was picking up spurious signals and I had to create a new harness for the sensors.
Thanks for that. Oddly, I don't have a code for it. However the 5788 code states that the turbine and speed sensors need to be checked.
Blair

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty good week thus far. Ordered a C solenoid, pressure switch, turbine speed sensor and some gaskets. Installed them and hooked up the harness and got N N on the controller. Guys reinstalled everything and finally took it for a spin around the block. Seemed to work OK and look forward to getting home and in the shop.
Thanks to all helping out on this phase. Tires are next...

Blair

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update Time... Truck stayed at the shop for awhile. Luckily they had space to store it while the tires were ordered and delivered. Unfortunately during that time I managed to get a bone infection in my big toe that moved pretty quickly. End result was getting my big toe amputated to save the foot. Not in the plans but so be it.
At one time I thought I should change out the tires myself. However foot wouldn't allow me to and quite frankly paying somebody who knows what they are doing was well worth the price. Also decided to have the truck serviced while in there and have mechanics go over the truck. Fluids changed, filters changed on all systems and greased. Had them check compressor bolts as well as drive lines and everything came back looking good and tight. They were nice enough to deliver the truck to my house and its finally sitting in my parking lot. So all in all a pretty good day. Investigating the CTIS system is next. No lights and it appears I don't have air building to the air tank furthest to the rear.
Once again, thanks to all who have helped over the course of the last few months. I have learned a lot with a bunch more to go.

Blair

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does one get a bone infection, how did you know you had it? Stepped on a nail or something?

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately I have neuropathy (non diabetic) in my feet and have limited feeling in them. Probably had a blister that got infected that I couldn't feel and couldn't see because it was under a callous. I have had feet problems due to it in the past and was the reason I retired early. Any more injuries to the foot and losing the whole thing would be a possibility.

Blair

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks