• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 5-ton transmission issues

rsbillings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My transmission is not shifting out of first gear (1-1) in my 1991 5-ton M923a2. For no apparent reason it will not shift out of 1st gear regardless of where the shifter is (e.g. 1-2 or 1-3 or 1-4). However, on one random day going down a hill in the field it shifted once to a higher gear. I was in 1-3. After I shut the truck off and restarted it, the same problem, it will not shift out of first gear and I can't go any faster than 5 mph. I need the truck to transport youth to & from our LRC & ropes courses in the field. Only 17,000 miles on the truck. I have 100 students coming out in 3 weeks and need the truck. Help please!

Roger
USA retired

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does it shift thru any gears other than first if you put the transfer case in low range? Reverse is working I assume? Fluid is at the correct level, color and odor?

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drop the pan. Look for pieces. I lost reverse this summer at the Graves Mtn. Rally. Could not figure out anything till I dropped the pan. That's where i found reverse. 16K miles and 1000 after RR rebuild. Got to put in a new trans this summer. OUCH!!

74M35A2

I also go with governor, and easy external fix. Happened on my Ford Temp in college. Trans was fine then suddenly would not shift out of first gear. Reverse OK, other gears OK just prior. Pulled governor from under small round cover of trans, externally, no pan drop. Simple flyweight device with internal slide post. You should be able to move its few parts easily their full travel. Mine wore burrs on one the flyweights. I filed them off, dropped it back in, and it was fixed! All in the street in front of my house. Perfect. Held for another 80,000 miles.

rsbillings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry it took so long to get back with you. The 5-ton is in the field and I couldn't get time off until Sunday. First - the last time I drove it, it did go into reverse. Second - no matter what gear I put it in, it only went 5 mph (stuck in 1-1 I believe). I was going to test drive it again, but I noticed fuel leaking out of the fuel filter - a first time event (FF834 located by the red by throttle and I'm not sure why it is leaking). Third, the transmission fluid is in fact low and it looks and smells good. On the dip stick, the level was at the fill/cold line. I will put more transmission fluid in it this week. Not sure how to judge how much it needs though. Any help with this or fuel filter issue will be appreciated - of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks