• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector return hoses

319cssb

Has anyone tried these braided return hoses they sell on ebay? They seem to be precut and dont need the clips.

Gunfreak25

Yep. Mine were the "USA Made", cloth braided and cut to length roll Ebay lines. 3 months and they are rock hard, the braid is useless as it frays and becomes loose. They also leaked without the clamps.

I put a new set of clamps on them before they got hardened from heat cycles and they are 100% leak free still. They just aren't pliable at all.

I read later the best hose available is this high temp Viton stuff. 400 degrees and very chemical resistant.

https://www.dudadiesel.com/viton.php

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

319cssb

I read about the viton stuff that it snaps at the connectors with time.
Actually Ive read about it here.

Did you have a hard time getting the lines on with clamp? It seems a tight fit against the injector and original hose with clamp already.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I have not done enough research to conclude if the Viton hose is better or worse than the regular hose. It looks better on paper but I haven't tried it yet.

I took the braiding off my hoses and had no issues fitting new clamps on. The old ones loose their spring and I couldn't spread them far enough apart to install.

Barrman

I have had good success with the braided lines. I think all of my trucks now have them. No issues. I got mine from Badger Diesel.

Gunfreak25

I suspect as always not all hose is created equal. Some is said to be made in USA and some in Germany. I know the cheapie Dormans are hencho in chiner

dependable

When the GM return line became scarce, I started using the same German made stuff I use on my Mercedes diesel. It is well made and works, any good Mercedes parts place will have some, and probably the clamps too.

319cssb

When the GM return line became scarce, I started using the same German made stuff I use on my Mercedes diesel. It is well made and works, any good Mercedes parts place will have some, and probably the clamps too.
I read about these german lines not being good. Maybe it was the ebay Chiner special and not from germany.

Keith_J

Viton isn't created equal. While natural rubber is grown in Asia, my experiences with import small tires and Viton O-rings has me steering away from Chinese products. You know that smell of a certain discount tool store? Its from their rubber goods, mostly tires. And its a sign the tires are not long for this world.

What turns rubber from a sticky sap to an elastic solid is vulcanization, the use of sulfur to cross-link the butyl chains. This process never stops, use too much sulfur or don't include other chemicals to arrest the process and the rubber turns into rock. Which is why small tires from China dry rot in as little as 2 years. Most major tire companies guard their rubber compositions as an essential trade secret. Anyone can copy molds, it takes years to develop rubber compositions.

Germans make good stuff but they also import inferior products from Asia.

MarcusOReallyus

Yup. What Keith said. It's a sad fact that it's no longer possible to ensure we are buying quality products. We can reduce the odds of getting junk, but there just doesn't exist a sure way to tell anymore.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the made in Germany braided hoses.
Installed them when I installed new Delphi injectors.
No clamps needed by design.
Been installed over a year and their still just as pliable as new.
All still tight and zero leaks or issues.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bosch is the original brand that the CUCVs were equipped with from Factory.
Delphi is also an OEM auto industry supplier.

Delphis are less expensive and make excellent injectors.
Boschs are more expensive and also make high quality injectors

Personal preference mainly.
I have had excellent results with Delphi products so I purchased them instead and saved some $$$.
Have had zero issues with them and truck is still starting and running great.

The German braided hoses finished off the install.

diesel583

I have had good luck with NAPA. Just ask for 1980 VW diesel return line. 3mm I think, comes in bulk buy what you want no clamps needed

cucvrus

I have never replaced any return hoses on any of my CUCV's with new hoses. I did however buy all new ones and stored them the past 20 years. I still have them in the GM blue plastic parts bags. The only thing I ever did replace was a few of the end caps and the small metal squeeze clamps. When I removed my nozzles I just clipped them and then straight cut the hoses and reattached them during reassembly. I never gave it much thought which lines were Good , Better , Best. IMHO if they didn't leak they were the best. 30 + years and no leaks. Pretty good. I doubt even if I replace the lines now with NASA spec ones I or the CUCV would last 30 more years to see how they held up. I had a few 7.3 diesel Ford trucks and have replaced the return lines when I was green and new and replacing things seemed like the thing to do at the time. I replaced everything as I danced around the real problem the injection pump was dying a slow death. Someone told me the return lines were collapsed and clogged. Not the case. So bottom line if they are not leaking I don't replace them. If I can cut and re clamp I do it and if they need replaced I use some from a parts engine. Not that I can't afford to change the hoses. I like using things that I have verses spending money to buy more things. If you seen my stock you would understand. Have a Great Day. Clamp or no clamp. It is a simple task.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I spoke too soon.
Lost end cap on rear drivers side injector.
Now to find a replacement

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks