• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12Volt Starter on Onan/Fremont Engines??

CapePrep

Hello All, Sitting here in the northeast awaiting the impending ice storm and my mind wanders to potential projects. I am considering adapting a 4 cylinder Fermont motor to an old farm tractor. Does anyone know if there is a 12volt starter available for the motors or a way to convert a 24 volt one? Lets' put those thinking caps on....

robertsears1

Why not go 24 volts on the tractor? We used to run two batteries in one of our tractors ( parallel not series) to aid in starting. You would need to change the lights to 24 volts but let’s be realistic, how many old tractors actually have the lights working?

Robert

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need a 12v starter, 12v alternator, 12v gauges and sending units for temp, oil pressure, 12v fuel pump.

No reason the engine won't work, but you might have to mess with the governor. I've not had one of these engines down at a low rpm idle as the governor wants to bring it back up to speed when moving the throttle lever.

jamawieb

Hello All, Sitting here in the northeast awaiting the impending ice storm and my mind wanders to potential projects. I am considering adapting a 4 cylinder Fermont motor to an old farm tractor. Does anyone know if there is a 12volt starter available for the motors or a way to convert a 24 volt one? Lets' put those thinking caps on....
Look on ebay for lpw4 starter and you'll find a lot of 12v starters for them. LPW4 is lister petter's manufacture code for the motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks