• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Laundry list for the m1009

Gramps

Well I've been neglecting the blazer for too long, Don't want it rotting away so making a build thread.
Main problem is no brakes, they completely went out on me a couple weeks back. thankfully I'd fixed the e-brake otherwise it would be at the scrap yard. Turns out master cylinder was shot, got a new one but that's probably not getting done this weekend with the snow.
Most of its problems are smaller things that can be knocked out quickly just haven't had the time.
Change diff fluid
Trans fluid and filter
Oil and filter
Patch rust holes (new welder is on the way:-D)
Rear window crank
Driver headlight
Fix garbage wiring for PA
many other things

Hopefully I can get the brakes taken care of Sunday but we'll see with the weather.

Gramps

Belts were replaced last month and coolant last winter. Although hoses do need to be done. Didn't get to do much this weekend, was pretty miserable out. Did get it to fire up though for the first time in a few weeks, ran like crap has a misfire in cylinder 3. it cleared up after running for a few minutes though.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know what they use for brake fluid, right?

Gramps

Since it a balmy 14 degrees (-11 windchill) decided it was a good time to fix the brakes. Slapped in a new master cylinder and bled her, old fluid in the lines was nasty. Popped in a new headlight and filled her up along with a health dose of anti-gel. Glad it's back on the road, been a while since it has. Snapchat-1497694327.jpgSnapchat-1497694327.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add a can of SeaFoam to the tank to keep fuel system happy.

Also a Grill cover will help keep temps up.

Gramps

Grabbed an old yard sign made out of corrugated plastic and ziptied it in there. Got it covering about half the 1/3 of the radiator, will have to play around with it, currently its not blocking enough.

Anyone have any experience with Liquid Moly Diesel Purge? I was given a can of it and I've never used it before. is it comparable to Seafoam?

ssdvc

Grabbed an old yard sign made out of corrugated plastic and ziptied it in there. Got it covering about half the 1/3 of the radiator, will have to play around with it, currently its not blocking enough.

Anyone have any experience with Liquid Moly Diesel Purge? I was given a can of it and I've never used it before. is it comparable to Seafoam?
Block that whole thing off when temps get down below freezing. There will still be enough airflow to keep her cool. I use pipe insulation foam across the entire front end grill. Works well.

I have used Diesel Purge in my VW Golf during fuel filter changes, it works great. I use Howes every few tanks just to keep things right, along with a few ounces of some two-cycle marine oil in every tank to keep things lubed up.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
02185DAA-A4FF-412C-BF20-7FAAACC2A3B6.jpg
Get the Military reproduction grill cover.
It works great and is easy to put on and take off as the temps change.

I can’t remember the name of the company that makes them, but someone will chime in with it I bet.

Gramps

Grill covers are going for 125 on ebay. Can't justify that right now with how little it gets driven, next time I drive it I'll slide another yard sign in there. It has quite the noise to it when its warming up sounds like an intake valve popping open. Once it warms up the noise goes away for the most part, Also misfires in cylinder 4 till it warms up. Not sure if its a bad plug or the controller is messed up, Gotta crack out the DVOM.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A can or two of seafoam will help a LOT.
Cleans dirty injectors and keeps system happy.

The eBay covers are surplus originals
I paid $100 shipped for the reproduction.
Its very well made.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grill covers are going for 125 on ebay. Can't justify that right now with how little it gets driven, next time I drive it I'll slide another yard sign in there. It has quite the noise to it when its warming up sounds like an intake valve popping open. Once it warms up the noise goes away for the most part, Also misfires in cylinder 4 till it warms up. Not sure if its a bad plug or the controller is messed up, Gotta crack out the DVOM.
JATONKA has quality repos.

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/cucvwinterfront.htm

Gramps

With the seafoam should I just dump two cans in the tank? I've heard of popping off the fuel lines and just sucking a bottle dry, Although I'm not wanting to blow up my engine.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just add one can directly into tank. Two will not hurt it.
When you refuel next, add another can.
Then a can about every other tank or so.

Everyone has their own preference for fuel additives, but I’ve had excellent results from using SeaFoam.
It simply works.
I use it in everything I own.

SeaFoam recently saved me from replacing injectors in a 2000 Chevy Blazer.
Craigslist find.
Thing would barely run.
After two tanks of fuel with SeaFoam, she purrs like a kitten now.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the seafoam should I just dump two cans in the tank? I've heard of popping off the fuel lines and just sucking a bottle dry, Although I'm not wanting to blow up my engine.
Just pour it in the tank like Tinstar said , opening fuel lines is going to cause air in the line nightmares for you.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also add a quart of 2-cycle engine oil when I fill tank.
It keeps things lubed and happy.
Engine isn’t as loud and fuel mileage is better.
It will enhance the life of injection pump and injectors.

Some guys use transmission fluid (which has friction modifiers), but the two-cycle oil is designed to be burned.

Gramps

Just pour it in the tank like Tinstar said , opening fuel lines is going to cause air in the line nightmares for you.
It has half a tank currently. I'll go ahead and dump a full can in for a little extra action along with some two-smoke oil, and then go to the to one can per full tank. I've dealt with air in lines before, that was the main problem when i first got it. Would start and run for five seconds and die, crank for a while to get fuel back up and it would be fine. Tracked it down to the Heating coil on Fuel Filter housing ,O-rings were gone replaced them and its been fine since, Planning on replacing with a spin-on filter soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks