• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine startup advice

Dead pilot

I am planning on trying to started up my M36a2 this coming week since I was able to get it home last week. The engine hasn't been started in about 6 years or so. The oil seems to be good from what I can tell. No water in the oil from the spots I checked. The fuel is old but the tank doesn't have any gummy fuel and the filters have fuel that isnt gummed up from what I can tell. There is no radiator or alternator on her right now. All the belts are off too.
With all that now comes the harder part. I wanted to try and get it started before I get the cab back on incase I have to pull the engine. The current harness is shot. So I'm trying to see how to bypass the harness to attempt to start her. How can I do this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the batteries installed, you can jump the starter, a large junk screw driver across the positive lead at the starter solinoid to the starter lead. May cause sparks if not firmly contacted. Pull the screw driver off after it stats. Make sure the fuel s/o is not pulled. This procedure is normally reserved for emergency starts. Make sure the in tank fuel pump is running and you have fuel pressure. Be careful.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just energize the solenoid , less big sparks!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct never jump the two big leads with a screw driver as it can weld the screw drive to the two big leads. Always a hot lead to solenoid small trip wire. Best thing to carry is a remote starter switch in the truck or tool box.

Last edited:

Dead pilot

So is there a way to use the start switch and the magnetic relay with out the rest of the harness. Would give a me chance to test that out too. Big screwdriver method doesn't seem be the best idea especially since I dont know the condition of any of the components

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It’s hard to know how much water and other crap may be in your fuel tank. Consider removing the drain plug on the fuel tank, if it will come out, and draining a gallon or two of whatever may be sitting on the bottom. If the plug won’t come out, then a siphon would work. Once that’s done, I would add a quart of Power Service or the like to boost cetane and lubricity.

Dead pilot

I did pull about a gallon of fuel out and it seemed ok. I'm gonna changed all fluids once I know the engine is good since it's been sitting so long. This start up is mainly to see what condition the engine is in.

DeadParrot

The big caution I have to offer is if it starts, don't get so enamored by the nice rumble of a running motor that you forget the no radiator part. Would really suck if the result of this experiment was to discover you used to have a nice motor and now have the rebuild overheated motor project to add to your project list.

Dead pilot

I'm probably gonna just try turn the engine over with the fuel shut off just make sure it turns over. Then worry about it running after I change fluids and put a radiator in and all that.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Put a fuel stop valve and have your mushroom intake handy with soft thick rubber on it to stop air intake.
Assure the 1" inlet for the compressor is blocked off good.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't need any of that if you just take the time to pull the shut down cover and check the fuel control for free movement.
You can even leave the cover off and run the motor to any rpm plus shut it down with your finger if it is not sticky / stuck. It is just two flat head screws and 2 shakes of a killer whales tail. Also always leave the engine shut down cable pull out to stop and lock it in stop mode. That will prevent a stuck fuel control from going to WOT one day when you least expect it. A simple maintenance check every once and awhile with two screws is no big deal. Use cleaning / lubricity additives and double up on the dose every fill up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks