Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: M35a2 6x6

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 799 Posts

I had the same issue with the transfer case in my M813, intermittent engagement, I got solid advice from Ron Harris (KGR).
    He instructed me to drain, fill with diesel fuel and drive the truck (un loaded) for a couple miles. He said that when I drain it I'll find scale, crap, and dead bugs in it. Refill and go.
    Sure enough when I drained it, scale, crap and three dead spiders came out. Refilled w/ gear oil and it worked as intended.
    I'm going to miss that guy.
    I'm not saying let's eliminate all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

1997 M35A3C, 1987 M35A2C, 1973 M35A2C, 1971 M813A1 W/W, 1985 M931A1, 1985 M925, 1972 m817, 1984 M936, 1984 M923, M105A1 (4ea), 1972 M38A1, MEP 002a on M116A3. MEP531A, MEP501s
    2 dogs, 2 cats
    MVPA, NRA, AOPA

Satisfied BEEFCO customer.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scar59 For This Useful Post:

frank8003 (01-21-2019), JSBIRD69 (01-27-2019), maa45069 (01-22-2019), RollingThunder19 (01-21-2019), Scrounger (01-20-2019), Tracer (01-20-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,429 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder19 View Post
    Should I try to drain fluid in TC first and see if getting the TC cleaned out helps first before dropping the whole unit and disassembling the sprag? I would like to not make more work for myself than needed...
    Of course, you can try the flushing method first, if that means less work (and cost) for you.
    But in order to pull the front output section you don't need to drop the whole TC. Disconnect the front DS and just unbolt 10 cap screws attaching that part to the main housing.

You mentioned a shift rod and adjustment to it. Where is that adjusted from?
    ... From underneath the truck. Read post #1 of this thread...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gringeltaube For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder19 (01-21-2019), tobyS (01-21-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scar59 View Post
    I had the same issue with the transfer case in my M813, intermittent engagement, I got solid advice from Ron Harris (KGR).
    He instructed me to drain, fill with diesel fuel and drive the truck (un loaded) for a couple miles. He said that when I drain it I'll find scale, crap, and dead bugs in it. Refill and go.
    Sure enough when I drained it, scale, crap and three dead spiders came out. Refilled w/ gear oil and it worked as intended.
    I'm going to miss that guy.
    I'll give that a try and see how that turns out with flushing the unit. Also you said drive the truck unloaded, just without anything in the bed?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder19 For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gringeltaube View Post
    Of course, you can try the flushing method first, if that means less work (and cost) for you.
    But in order to pull the front output section you don't need to drop the whole TC. Disconnect the front DS and just unbolt 10 cap screws attaching that part to the main housing.

... From underneath the truck. Read post #1 of this thread...
    That makes my life easier if I dont need to drop the whole unit to pull the front output section off. Also thanks for the adjustment thread I've been looking for one

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder19 For This Useful Post:

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 799 Posts

I'll give that a try and see how that turns out with flushing the unit. Also you said drive the truck unloaded, just without anything in the bed?
    Correct, you want the TC to get warm and have the diesel fuel get good and circulated. No heavy hauling or hill climbing,
    just nice level cruise, it may take two flushs. It is worth the time, very easy to drain and fill. Diesel is cheap.
    I'm not saying let's eliminate all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

1997 M35A3C, 1987 M35A2C, 1973 M35A2C, 1971 M813A1 W/W, 1985 M931A1, 1985 M925, 1972 m817, 1984 M936, 1984 M923, M105A1 (4ea), 1972 M38A1, MEP 002a on M116A3. MEP531A, MEP501s
    2 dogs, 2 cats
    MVPA, NRA, AOPA

Satisfied BEEFCO customer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scar59 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 903 Posts

Have you disconnected the linkage and manually tried to push/pull the engagement shaft? It's spring loaded and should return to home position (but not running you may have to help it a little). Don't get in too big of a hurry to take the sprag unit apart if you remove it....lots of small parts and you can see if it is working while together...one side turns one direction and the other turns opposite. Cleaning and inspection of sprag can mostly be done while the sprag is still together (but off the TC).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tobyS For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scar59 View Post
    Correct, you want the TC to get warm and have the diesel fuel get good and circulated. No heavy hauling or hill climbing,
    just nice level cruise, it may take two flushs. It is worth the time, very easy to drain and fill. Diesel is cheap.
    Okay I'll try that out and see how that goes hopefully that solves the issue. The truck did sit possibly for 7 years so it might just be gummed up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tobyS View Post
    Have you disconnected the linkage and manually tried to push/pull the engagement shaft? It's spring loaded and should return to home position (but not running you may have to help it a little). Don't get in too big of a hurry to take the sprag unit apart if you remove it....lots of small parts and you can see if it is working while together...one side turns one direction and the other turns opposite. Cleaning and inspection of sprag can mostly be done while the sprag is still together (but off the TC).
    I havent done anything with the linkage yet only really noticed the issue over the weekend and it's been in the teens so I havent gotten under the truck to see what's all going on with it

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder19 For This Useful Post:

tobyS (01-21-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,483 Times in 7,117 Posts

The truck only has 14k miles on it and I find it hard to believe that anything with the tcase is bad already. I saw some posts say there might be an adjustment for the tcase? Dont know much about that or if that could fix the issue
    Quote Originally Posted by porkysplace View Post
    Your more likely to get the truth out of a politician than the correct hours/miles on a military truck . The government just swaps gauges out they don't fix them.
    Indeed! It's not that your odometer is necessarily a LIAR, but it may (or may not) be the "original" to any specific production or rebuild date consequential to the wear-and-tear or use of your truck.

ONLY if your truck's history is really KNOWN can you trust what the odometer reading shows.

In our case, our M35A2 came out of a complete rebuild at TOOLE in 1991. the County/VFD that we got it from had records showing it was received by them with 5 miles and 30 hours on the meters. Presumably she was only driven around the motorpool and the run time hours accumulated for monthly PM to keep the batteries charged until she was DRMO'd to the VFD. So, I can say with confidence that our Deuce has accurate mileage and hour records.

YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY based on how often the Motor Pool Sergeant sent the newbie out to any random truck to "test" the private's knowledge ability to swap out one instrument panel for another. Or, in the case of a single gauge failure, whole panels are swapped for a fresh one with all working gauges so that the gauge repair/replacement became a bench-job thus getting the truck back in service more quickly. Transportation Officers get upset with Motor Pool Sergeants when too many trucks are REDLINED!!! Records of such swaps were/are seldom maintained.

Thanks

Ah...dang. I didn't know they'd swap out an entire panel for a single gauge failure. That really throws a wrinkle into things.

I was looking at my panel and observed that the fading of the white marks in my gauges was uniform between the tach, speedo, air and oil pressure but that the bezel and while markings in the volt meter and fuel gauge was cleaner and newer, so I hoped that my mileage and hours was accurate, but maybe or even probably not.
    Motorpool:

(Isn't owning one of this insanity enough??)
    1971 M813 "Ox" (named for Dewey Oxburger)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax MD For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast