• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Transfer Case Issues

Kennyw1981

Hi all, Im new to this site and these trucks. Ive recently purchased a 1993 Model M923A2 Dump truck and am having transfer case issues. I can only drive the truck foward using the front wheels. I do not have reverse at all and no power to the rear axles. Ive tried every combination I can come up with and no matter what i do I can only go foward using the front wheels. Transmission is fine, the input shaft from the transmission spins as it should in foward and reverse.

Also I'm postive its not the original Transfer Case. The linkage for the High/Low shifter has been modifed to the right side of the truck, the original trasfer case high/low linkage wason the left of the transfer case and the current case is on the right. Odds are I am going to need a new transfer case im sure but im not sure which one i have, the numbers i find on it bring up a couple different ones. I dont mind going back to the original one but not sure what the original one was. 5875E317 is the one in it and has an overhaule date of 4/82 which is much older than the truck.

Any help/Info would be greatly appreciated. I attached a couple pictures of the transfer case. Thanks

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
T138 transfer case and parts are available to rebuild it or replace it. I might have one laying around here somewhere. You can bust it open and try to source the parts thru ebay or surplus dealer or just replace it. Someone did that cause it was cheaper and more reliable than the T1138 case and they did not need the overdrive. More than likely it is a busted output shaft

The front axle output shaft slips inside the rear axle output shaft with its splines. The front axle output has the gear on it that is spun by the intermediate shaft in the case. More than likely the output shaft for the rear axle is stripped or the output for the front axle has taken all its splines off.

7346771 is the front axle output found on ebay.
8332554 is the rear output shaft found on ebay. For the cost of both of those might be cheaper to source a busted case or just find a whole one to replace it.

Member CSMDavis has the original T1138 transfer cases over in Hattiesburg, MS for $1700.

Last edited:

Kennyw1981

Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely leaning more towards just replacing it. Quicker I can get it up and going the better, I have a good bit of dirt I need to move with it. If you have a good one laying around how much could you let it go for?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think i sold my last one for $800. I will check around, I think i still have one left. I know I sent one to NM and one to Florida last month but I believe I have another left..... I reached out to CSM Davis in Hattiesburg so maybe he has one closer to you.

You may also message member RyanAruba he is near you in Panama City and has some 5 ton parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks