Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Front Mounted Tow Bar

  1. #1
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,848
    Thanks
    2,232
    Thanked 6,308 Times in 3,122 Posts

    Default Front Mounted Tow Bar

    Well I finished my front mounted tow bar. I copied the idea from "Quadjeeper" . At least I believe it was his idea. He used PVC pipe though. I went with galvanized schedule 40 steel pipe. It only dropped my front end 1/16" !
    Now I can easily access my tow bar by myself.

    001.jpg007.jpg015.jpg023.jpg029.jpg030.jpg033.jpg024.jpg

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

    av8or (01-20-2019), firefox (01-20-2019), Jeepsinker (01-20-2019), quarkz (01-20-2019), Trailboss (01-26-2019)

  3. #2
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Owingsville, KY
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 171 Times in 102 Posts

    Default

    Well, both of you definetaly came up with a good idea, here. I wish that it would work on my Deuce, but, I will be needing the ground clearance, most likely. Something about working on clearing off an old farm, and going wheeling out in the woods/creeks/hills out here comes to mind. Question about the winch that you have mounted, if that is okay? Why did you mount it as you have? Curious, is all.

  4. #3
    Moderator WillWagner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Monrovia, Ca.
    Posts
    7,065
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 821 Posts

    Default

    Looks good, hope you never need to use it!
    ASMH Volunteer

  5. #4
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,848
    Thanks
    2,232
    Thanked 6,308 Times in 3,122 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 77 AMG View Post
    Well, both of you definetaly came up with a good idea, here. I wish that it would work on my Deuce, but, I will be needing the ground clearance, most likely. Something about working on clearing off an old farm, and going wheeling out in the woods/creeks/hills out here comes to mind. Question about the winch that you have mounted, if that is okay? Why did you mount it as you have? Curious, is all.
    Do you mean why is it behind two bumpers ? I need to push vehicles around my place so I figured a double bumper with some push pads would be a good idea. Then since I had bought a WARN 18,000 military winch I thought it would be a good idea to put it behind the bumpers. It fit just fine there as you can see. I added those support braces to the lower bumper later. Then when I was looking for a place to mount my tow bar I saw "Quadjeepers" idea. I thought my lower brace would be a perfect spot and it is ! So there you have it. As far as loosing ground clearance and "approach angle" I didn't. The approach angle is just slightly lower then a stock truck. Remember the normal winch seats why forward of the radiator. Mine seats right next to it. I have a picture showing my approach angle on my bumper/winch post. You can see it all there. So for all practical purposes I have just as much 6X6 ability as the next truck out there. Remember, ground clearance is the distance under the differential, not the frame. You can have your frame jacked up to the sky and still get caught by your differential high centering on a log or rock.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

    dmetalmiki (01-21-2019)

  7. #5
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,848
    Thanks
    2,232
    Thanked 6,308 Times in 3,122 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillWagner View Post
    Looks good, hope you never need to use it!
    Totally agree with that sentiment ! But like they say "better safe then sorry" . If I didn't have it, I would end up needing it. That's how "Murphy's Law" works right ?

  8. #6
    4 Star General cattlerepairman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NORTH (Canada)
    Posts
    1,743
    Thanks
    778
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 544 Posts

    Default

    Your truck says "Mess with me...and you'll be sorry!". Love the double bumper with the push pads! I relegated my tow bar to the front of the bed in a clamp. I never use it...just want to have it, in case. I can toss it off the dropside bed by myself and lug it to the front. By that time, I am already swearing anyway, so it makes no difference.
    MVPA member. 1974 M35A2C w/w "Queen Lola", rebuilt LDS-465-1A, "D" turbo, Waterloo Overdrive upgrade. Med towbar, 11.00R20 Goodyear G286, flipped hubs, remote brake fluid reservoir, bypassed FDC, LED taillights, LED headlights, LED turn signals, WESTACH EGT/boost gauge, AVM lockout hubs, LED convoy light, LED lollipop lights, HMMWV seat on air ride base, M211 dash passenger grab handle, hood lift kit, 24V solargizer/battery minder, ether start kit, flasher module mod, heavy duty dog bone ends, M35A3 aluminium fuel tank.

  9. #7
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,848
    Thanks
    2,232
    Thanked 6,308 Times in 3,122 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cattlerepairman View Post
    Your truck says "Mess with me...and you'll be sorry!". Love the double bumper with the push pads! I relegated my tow bar to the front of the bed in a clamp. I never use it...just want to have it, in case. I can toss it off the dropside bed by myself and lug it to the front. By that time, I am already swearing anyway, so it makes no difference.
    I plan on making my bed into a camper someday so I needed another place to permanently mount it to. Though I did laugh at your last sentence !

  10. #8
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Owingsville, KY
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 171 Times in 102 Posts

    Default

    Sorry for the delay, been at work. What I was referring to as ground clearance should have been approach angle. I have ALOT of bad/awkward/steep break-overs to deal with on the farm, when crossing the creeks and some of the other rough spots out there. i spent today actually working on the Pet Monster, so, I spent some time comparing the work that Rustystud did with the front of my frame, and, I figure that i can try the same thing, made from thin PVC and see what happens, when I get the old beast home in a couple of months, hopefully. I wasn't knocking it, by any means.

  11. #9
    2 Star General SCM35A2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    658
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 519 Times in 265 Posts

    Default

    Looking good!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to SCM35A2 For This Useful Post:

    rustystud (01-25-2019)

  13. #10
    4 Star General rustystud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Woodinville, Washington
    Posts
    7,848
    Thanks
    2,232
    Thanked 6,308 Times in 3,122 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 77 AMG View Post
    Sorry for the delay, been at work. What I was referring to as ground clearance should have been approach angle. I have ALOT of bad/awkward/steep break-overs to deal with on the farm, when crossing the creeks and some of the other rough spots out there. i spent today actually working on the Pet Monster, so, I spent some time comparing the work that Rustystud did with the front of my frame, and, I figure that i can try the same thing, made from thin PVC and see what happens, when I get the old beast home in a couple of months, hopefully. I wasn't knocking it, by any means.
    I wouldn't use thin wall PVC pipe. If you can find some, a thin wall aluminum pipe would be OK. Or some thin wall steel pipe, but stay away from the PVC . The first time you go out and hit some serious bumps it will crack and break allowing your tow-bar to slide around. I went with a schedule 40 pipe as I had it laying around here. It only adds about 30 Ibs more weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •