• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Mounted Tow Bar

77 AMG

Well, both of you definetaly came up with a good idea, here. I wish that it would work on my Deuce, but, I will be needing the ground clearance, most likely. Something about working on clearing off an old farm, and going wheeling out in the woods/creeks/hills out here comes to mind. Question about the winch that you have mounted, if that is okay? Why did you mount it as you have? Curious, is all.

rustystud

Well, both of you definetaly came up with a good idea, here. I wish that it would work on my Deuce, but, I will be needing the ground clearance, most likely. Something about working on clearing off an old farm, and going wheeling out in the woods/creeks/hills out here comes to mind. Question about the winch that you have mounted, if that is okay? Why did you mount it as you have? Curious, is all.
Do you mean why is it behind two bumpers ? I need to push vehicles around my place so I figured a double bumper with some push pads would be a good idea. Then since I had bought a WARN 18,000 military winch I thought it would be a good idea to put it behind the bumpers. It fit just fine there as you can see. I added those support braces to the lower bumper later. Then when I was looking for a place to mount my tow bar I saw "Quadjeepers" idea. I thought my lower brace would be a perfect spot and it is ! So there you have it. As far as loosing ground clearance and "approach angle" I didn't. The approach angle is just slightly lower then a stock truck. Remember the normal winch seats why forward of the radiator. Mine seats right next to it. I have a picture showing my approach angle on my bumper/winch post. You can see it all there. So for all practical purposes I have just as much 6X6 ability as the next truck out there. Remember, ground clearance is the distance under the differential, not the frame. You can have your frame jacked up to the sky and still get caught by your differential high centering on a log or rock.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck says "Mess with me...and you'll be sorry!". Love the double bumper with the push pads! I relegated my tow bar to the front of the bed in a clamp. I never use it...just want to have it, in case. I can toss it off the dropside bed by myself and lug it to the front. By that time, I am already swearing anyway, so it makes no difference.

rustystud

Your truck says "Mess with me...and you'll be sorry!". Love the double bumper with the push pads! I relegated my tow bar to the front of the bed in a clamp. I never use it...just want to have it, in case. I can toss it off the dropside bed by myself and lug it to the front. By that time, I am already swearing anyway, so it makes no difference.
I plan on making my bed into a camper someday so I needed another place to permanently mount it to. Though I did laugh at your last sentence !

77 AMG

Sorry for the delay, been at work. What I was referring to as ground clearance should have been approach angle. I have ALOT of bad/awkward/steep break-overs to deal with on the farm, when crossing the creeks and some of the other rough spots out there. i spent today actually working on the Pet Monster, so, I spent some time comparing the work that Rustystud did with the front of my frame, and, I figure that i can try the same thing, made from thin PVC and see what happens, when I get the old beast home in a couple of months, hopefully. I wasn't knocking it, by any means.

rustystud

Sorry for the delay, been at work. What I was referring to as ground clearance should have been approach angle. I have ALOT of bad/awkward/steep break-overs to deal with on the farm, when crossing the creeks and some of the other rough spots out there. i spent today actually working on the Pet Monster, so, I spent some time comparing the work that Rustystud did with the front of my frame, and, I figure that i can try the same thing, made from thin PVC and see what happens, when I get the old beast home in a couple of months, hopefully. I wasn't knocking it, by any means.
I wouldn't use thin wall PVC pipe. If you can find some, a thin wall aluminum pipe would be OK. Or some thin wall steel pipe, but stay away from the PVC . The first time you go out and hit some serious bumps it will crack and break allowing your tow-bar to slide around. I went with a schedule 40 pipe as I had it laying around here. It only adds about 30 Ibs more weight.

77 AMG

That is "why" the thin PVC- more for "testing the angles" before I commit good steel to something that may not work for me. It is STILL a good idea, though.

Nomad1

looks like great setup the things one can come up with
Well I finished my front mounted tow bar. I copied the idea from "Quadjeeper" . At least I believe it was his idea. He used PVC pipe though. I went with galvanized schedule 40 steel pipe. It only dropped my front end 1/16" !
Now I can easily access my tow bar by myself.

View attachment 753987View attachment 753988View attachment 753989View attachment 753990View attachment 753991View attachment 753992View attachment 753993View attachment 753994

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks