• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1950 Kaiser Jeep M35A2

David Matthews

Looking for historical information on our newest addition. 1950 Kaiser Jeep M35A2. I know it started out some shade of green, and then was purchased some years back by a county fire department who spray painted everything White (URGH), so we will be stripping it down. We know the was changed at some point to the W LDT 465 w/whistler turbo. Trans is a 3053A SPicer and TCASE Is a Rockwell T136-27 as best I can tell. Looks like most of the original name plates are intact. Was wondering if there was a registry somewhere where we would use serial numbers (And location of them LOL) to determine where this particular Deuce has been. Any help would be appreciated.

First issue we have to tackle is top speed. I'm sure 55 was great in the 50's, but it just doesn't cut it now days if we want to take this thing out of town. Runs like a top, just needs a little more speed. Will take us years I'm sure to go through everything, but for now we are just enjoying driving it everywhere.

David Matthews

Here she is in all her current glory. Not too many modifications, just that weird headache rack. Definately plan to buy the canopy. And replace the soft top with a original.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Don't remember seeing that one at the forestry auction. History starts with the serial number, can you provide it? Will be on the dash plate and stamped in the frame near the drivers side front axle forward spring mount.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's stamped on the frame and on the dash.

From the regisration number it looks like a 1971.

[ 1968 through 1972
In 1968, this system was replaced with what, at least from the collector’s standpoint, was the ideal registration number system. This system incorporated a “Year” as the last two digits of the registration number. 04A-46468 is an example of such a registration number. In the case of our example, we know from the 04 prefix it is a 2-1/2-ton truck, and from the final two digits that it was a 1968 model. ]

David Matthews

Well that would be interesting. I'm assuming anything is possible. Title says 1950. But who knows. I guess first is to figure out what I have.

David Matthews

So. According to that article I have a 1971 Kaiser M35A2. Interesting information. Doesn't really matter to me what year it is. Just need to find out what I have and then we can go from there. Its funny it says 1950 on the Title. I'm sure going from a Military vehicle to a civilian vehicle there's ample paper work mistakes that can make this happen.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup it's a 1971. Now you know the number that would have been painted on the hood when it was delivered, that is a challenge to figure out for most folks. To determine what units it was assigned to, start sanding on the front bumper and rear bumperettes with a DA sander and let us know what numbers/letters you uncover.

David Matthews

Will do. Pretty busy at the shop this week. Maybe next weekend.

Quick question. A 10k lb PTO winch doesnt seem like it would rescue this heavy girl. What's most people using for a winch.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question. A 10k lb PTO winch doesnt seem like it would rescue this heavy girl. What's most people using for a winch.

A 10k PTO winch. Works like a charm. Use a snatch block if you are sitting on the frame.

David Matthews

It doesnt have a winch. So I would have to purchase one. I guess I should have made that question a little clearer. If you had to buy one. What would you purchase.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesnt have a winch. So I would have to purchase one. I guess I should have made that question a little clearer. If you had to buy one. What would you purchase.

A stock deuce winch along with this TM you should be able to do what ever you need.
[h=1]FM4-30x31 Recovery[/h]
You can also download the rest of the Deuce TM's here:
[h=1]TM's for the Deuce[/h]
It would be a good idea to read this one since your new to Deuces.
TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

David Matthews

I'll look into the PTO setup. We have a PTO winch on a 48 CJ2A, it lacks power compared to modern electric winches. I've already downloaded the TM's. Pretty neat documents.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you had to buy one. What would you purchase.
The stock 10K PTO unit. If used properly, they're extremely reliable and will last forever and you can't overheat them.

MudMarine

If you don't want to go PTO then look into the warn 18k or the Australian Sherpa electric winch. Just make sure you go with a 24v capable winch. Look in the first page or so of these forums for a discussion on PTO vs electric winches, I was researching the same thing via crowd sourced ideas from the SME's here

David Matthews

I was looking at the Stallion by sherpa. For 1000. Not priced bad at all. Be a bit before I buy anything for it. Just like doing my research first. Have two personal builds before it to finish.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto to the PTO winch. Use the correct aluminum shear pins (not a grade bolt).

Your truck looks good! They put a 90 degree elbow already for the air intake cap (aka mushroom cap), that is a good modification. It looks largely unmolested (no bed sides cut etc.). Any questions.....this site has the answers!

David Matthews

Ditto to the PTO winch. Use the correct aluminum shear pins (not a grade bolt).

Your truck looks good! They put a 90 degree elbow already for the air intake cap (aka mushroom cap), that is a good modification. It looks largely unmolested (no bed sides cut etc.). Any questions.....this site has the answers!
There really hasn't been a whole lot done to it. The previous owner bought it a few years ago from the Fore Department and didnt drive it I have already went through 50 gallons of diesel driving it everywhere. She has developed a few fluid leaks and then this morning didnt have a whole lot of brakes. Either there is some moisture in the lines or they need some work. I realize there will be plenty of issues if I want to drive it a bunch. Not worried about that. Its warming up here and ironically supposed to be in the 70's after being frozen all weekend. So I'll let it sit in the sun and test it later. I own a diesel and offroad performance shop. So first plans are to get it sand blasted and repair any rust. Doesnt appear to be too much, then paint it either a Green like it was or Tan. Once that's done I'm going to replace the soft top with a new one, and get the cargo top like it had originally. Also on the list is to get rid of the tires. I'm curre fly thinking of converting over to a 46" with MRAP wheels. But I'm open to suggestions. This vehicle will see many uses for our shop. Crawler hauler, tool and recovery, etc. As well as just driving it everywhere.

David Matthews

Biggest issue for my uses I see that have to be remedied other than any mechanical leaks or failures is top speed and a winch. 55 is rough when we travel for events. 65 would be bearable and if my gear calculator is correct a 46" tire would give me 65 on the highway at 2500 rpms. Or somewhere in there. Any other ways to increase top speed??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks