• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flywheel clutch info needed

Jewing

Is 6.2 and 6.5 flywheels interchangeable? Show different part numbers. Also is gr starter different from Auto to man trans? What I'm doing is taking motor out cucv and putting in a k20 sm465 4x4. The k20 6.2 broke crank at 300k plus. I have serval of these trucks why is some louder than others at idle? Thanks again for the advice

319cssb

you mean flexplate... If there are different part numbers and they don't show them as interchangeable at rock auto I would assume they are not swappable.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is 6.2 and 6.5 flywheels interchangeable? Show different part numbers. Also is gr starter different from Auto to man trans? What I'm doing is taking motor out cucv and putting in a k20 sm465 4x4. The k20 6.2 broke crank at 300k plus. I have serval of these trucks why is some louder than others at idle? Thanks again for the advice
you mean flexplate... If there are different part numbers and they don't show them as interchangeable at rock auto I would assume they are not swappable.
The sm465 is a 4 speed manual.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the parts I used when I did the SM swap in my CUCV. It still doesn't answer interchangeability question with the 6.5. AMS Automotive flywheel 167658. AMS Automotive clutch kit 04087. Dorman flywheel bolts. 678154. All parts were sourced through Rock Auto.

Edit: Rock Auto lists a different part number for a 6.5. I used 1994 as a vehicle check since CUCVs never came with a 6.5.

I reread your original post. Where did the 6.5 come into play? Certainly not from a CUCV unless it was swapped in. As far as sound, timing is everything. Advanced pump time increases the rattle a bunch.

Last edited:

Barrman

I just put a 6.2 and a 6.5 flexplate next to each other and looked them over. Everything was the same except the part number as far as I could tell. No massive weights or anything like that on one that wasn't on the other.

Most direct drive starters were automatic or manual specific. All of the CUCV direct drive starters had a little bitty opening for the Bendix drive gear to pop out of. The small mouth direct drive starter will not even bolt onto an engine that has a flywheel and clutch installed. I found a big mouth direct drive starter nose cone for my 6.2/NV4500 swap into my M715 at a NAPA for around $20 in 2013. I have seen them on EBay every so often as well.

Redux starters it seems were small mouth and big mouth for years. Now, pretty much every redux starter you see has the big mouth. Again, if you have the small mouth automatic redux. A large mouth manual nose cone can be swapped in.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put a 6.2 and a 6.5 flexplate next to each other and looked them over. Everything was the same except the part number as far as I could tell. No massive weights or anything like that on one that wasn't on the other. ...
I have always used them in-distinctively, on either engine. Balancing counterweight and relative placement is exactly the same.

Jewing

The donor truck has a gm 6.5 remain motor po installed. Runs good truck was used as farm truck. Cows have been rubbing against it for years.

Keith_J

Rattle can also be from transfer pump regulator sticking. I've had this problem recently, added 2 ounces of Diesel Mechanic in a Bottle and the problem went away. It was very loud at 55-60 MPH part throttle (550-600 F EGT) and went away when I floored the skinny pedal.

What happens is the timing advance is based on transfer pressure which almost tracks RPM. Diesel fuel with biodiesel can cause the regulator to stick, increasing transfer pressure which then advances timing.

I've tried many diesel fuel treatments, Diesel Mechanic in a Bottle works the best.

nyoffroad

Recovry4x4: Doing a similar swap - do you have a build thread or tips? Adding a Ranger gear splitter in front of the SM465 and the ORD shortv32 spline output/3.5" 205 adapter
I did the same thing with the splitter, keep in mind the shifter hole has to be moved back 8" and that it hits the stock seat. I heated and bent my shifter a bit ( it helped but not much) it still pops out of reverse sometimes unless I hold it. A seat change may be in my future. That's about all I can add.

I did the same thing with the splitter, keep in mind the shifter hole has to be moved back 8" and that it hits the stock seat. I heated and bent my shifter a bit ( it helped but not much) it still pops out of reverse sometimes unless I hold it. A seat change may be in my future. That's about all I can add.
i have no shifter hole currently (TH400) but thanks for the info. I think I have seen a seat that had a notched front frame rail and cushion somewhere on the interwebs.... but yes re custom bend on gearshift

Funnily enough if you use the ORD short shaft and adapter and a Magnum ahead of the 205, the 205 only moves back 7/8" from where it was with the TH400

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks