• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Oregon

2samiam

Hi everyone,

Came across a 1982 Teledyne HMMWV XM998 (Prototype) several months back. Picked it up, end of September, and started Automotive Archeology as there is NO information on this vehicle whatsoever. I can only find one other still in existence on the internet located in a Museum in Alabama I believe. Few old pictures floating around but thats it. Most of it seems similar to early Hummers and based off of Chevy components.
Previous owner has had it 24+ years, husband passed and she felt it need to go to someone who would finish it.
He started putting a late 60's Truck tall deck 427 (260 HP 405ft/lbs) in it with a TH400 transmission and NP218 transfer case. Transfer case is missing the speedometer gear and cover which I need to locate.
Parts I've picked up so far: steering box, hydro boost and master cylinder, radiator (4 core aluminum), mini starter, shorty headers and several other small parts.
Currently tracing the cut wires behind dash.

Would LOVE to run it to some car shows and in some parades.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky,
Sounds like you have a real project ahead of you. As always, we need pictures...or it doesn't exist....
Be safe.

dmetalmiki

You know what?, You should make a 'HUMVEE' out of all those 'parts you have there!

Just ribbing you, Nice acquisition and a great project for you over the cold season for next years upcoming events.
Welcome to the site, hobby, friendships and events to come.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome from east, central Missouri. You have a very kool project. Where did you procure said vehicle? I if possible would start by finding every part possible that you can. Will be a great responsibility but maybe you can find the rare one of a kind
parts.

If not looks like you have some ideas about how to proceed. The 427 talldeck is a good stroker block but heavy and more clearance problems and will overstress original driveline. All aluminum LS motor will be lighter, and will have to still find adaptable or procure a rollover for entire driveline.

Good Luck

2samiam

Found it in Southern Oregon about 20 miles from my house....wasn't really looking for it but how could I say NO? It actually came with a canvas/tarp top for the front two seats, back tarp and two flimsy metal tube doors, that of course need lots of work.

Lots of thought went into whether or not to swap the engine out for something else but what made up my mind was....it turned over after sitting for years, was virtually rust free and after minimal work (cleaned carb, bought wires and plugs) fired right up. Didn't see any sense in throwing more money at it than needed at this point.

Goal turned into....Make it run and drive modify it more later if needed.

427 TD probably upwards of 685 lbs vs 860 lbs for the original 6.9l 420 cu.in. IDI diesel (170 hp 315 ft.lbs) that it came with, not the 650 lb. 6.2l that was in the Hummers....could have been one of the reasons Teledyne wasn't picked, sure it was really nose heavy. Original Radiator was shot, $800 to fix.....or $330 for an Aluminum 4 core that weighs about 15lbs. vs 50-60lbs for the original radiator. I understand how cool it would have been to keep it all original but it just didn't make sense so I'm going for practical...with some updates....since it isn't all original might as well.

Driveshaft is probably the weak link but will try to take it easy and try not to rip it apart. Dana 44 in front and I think Dana 60 in the rear.

Would like to change the transfer case out to a part time but there are some tight clearance issues with the front driveshaft that would need to be check first.

Last edited:

2samiam

Figured out the air cleaner, replaced gears in the front axle and wired in digital speedo/oil/volt/tach/fuel do everything gauge.
20190512_163112.jpg
20190421_111042.jpg
20190407_231529.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks