• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to disconect before welding on m1083

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im fixing to get started on a camper build and im not sure what to disconect before weeks of welding on this truck i dont want to burn/ smoke check any electrial components. Any ideas on this

Keith_J

Disconnect ALL battery leads and make sure the positive leads are not touching ground. Then disconnect the alternator.

The main thing to remember is ground loop induced current. Which means connect the welder as close as possible to the welding site. Process also matters, SMAW (stick) is the least problematic. FCAW/GMAW are next. Worst is GTAW with HF non-contact start. This process can induce radio frequency through the leads without contact. I've fried electronics without contact, they were just in the loop of the welder lead!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks