• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton M932A2 alternator to batteries question

mstepchinski

Hello,
I recently swapped in 2 batteries to replace 4 dead ones and there are 2 small gauge connections to the old 4 battery setup. Where should these go in a 2 battery setup? Do they both go to a positive pole? My understanding of this specific wiring scheme is limited, but my charge indicator does not indicate any charge or battery level currently, as one is not connected.

Thanks in advance.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that those are 12-volt taps for the heater blower motor & possibly the engine's fuel shutoff valve (FSOV), but not 100% positive on the last one.

Somebody around here has a pic of the battery box cover diagram that shows where they mount to on the batteries...

ETA: I found a small pic of the one I relocated to my frame-mounted battery box; I had to blow it up so it's a little grainy. The schematic itself doesn't show it, but the written instructions do say "Lead 569 is 12 volt Power." The second small-gauge lead may be the return ground wire for the 12-volt circuit; look for the small aluminum wire tag on it to know for sure.

I apologize that I don't have my P2P program nor schematics handy at this time.

20150721_M939A2_Battery-Box-Schematic_01.png

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One is for the heater 12v wire #569A and the other is for the ABS 24v I think it is #54.

mstepchinski

I believe that those are 12-volt taps for the heater blower motor & possibly the engine's fuel shutoff valve (FSOV), but not 100% positive on the last one.

Somebody around here has a pic of the battery box cover diagram that shows where they mount to on the batteries...

ETA: I found a small pic of the one I relocated to my frame-mounted battery box; I had to blow it up so it's a little grainy. The schematic itself doesn't show it, but the written instructions do say "Lead 569 is 12 volt Power." The second small-gauge lead may be the return ground wire for the 12-volt circuit; look for the small aluminum wire tag on it to know for sure.

I apologize that I don't have my P2P program nor schematics handy at this time.

View attachment 754204
Thanks for the diagram - I know my heater works now, but the ABS light is on. I will hook the remaining wire up to the +24V tap. I'm surprised they run dual voltage accessories.

mstepchinski

My heater blower is working, so I assume I need to hit the +tap for 24V on the abandoned wire. Neither of these have anything to do with the generator gauge I assume? This 5 ton is brand new to me, so I have a learning curve to overcome. Next task is to figure out the flashing CTIS stuff. Thanks for your reply.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heater has two taps a 12v and a 24v. The 12v comes right off one of the batteries and the 24v is under the dash. That is your high and low speed of the fan.

mstepchinski

So I have to assume the other tap is likely to go to +24V for the ABS as the other respondent mentioned. I sure don't want to blow anything! I'm going to take another look at the leads to see if I can find any tags, etc.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The short wire with an eyelit that is taped to the main power lead coming thru the floor hooks to the battery on the same post as that power lead 24+ on the battery. The small wire with the eyelit hooked to the ground lead will go to ground with that lead... The longer 14gauge wire coming thru the battery box with the POWER lead will go to the 12v side of the batteries. That is blower low. Here is an old video on a 2 battery config

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OWa4pB2zUQ

mstepchinski

The short wire with an eyelit that is taped to the main power lead coming thru the floor hooks to the battery on the same post as that power lead 24+ on the battery. The small wire with the eyelit hooked to the ground lead will go to ground with that lead... The longer 14gauge wire coming thru the battery box with the POWER lead will go to the 12v side of the batteries. That is blower low. Here is an old video on a 2 battery config

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OWa4pB2zUQ
Thank you very much for the info. Do you know what the +24V wire is for? I appreciate your input. I guess neither of these leads have anything to do with alternator charging or generator gauge operation, so I need to chase that down. Thing is, the gauge worked when I jumped the original 4 battery setup.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The battery gauge on the dash gets its power thru the Dash harness. Wire # 27 which powers every electrical gauge in the dash. (volt,trans temp, engine temp, oil pressure, fuel gauge) It is just a spider wire where 1 power wire comes in and disperses to all those different gauges. The power for the #27 wire is controlled by the circuit breaker under the dash on the passengers side of the steering column. There is plate to reinforce the dash behind it and its on the passengers side of it.

That wire on the 12v wire should read 569 and it goes to the dashboard switch and then in turn controls the heater. The 24v side small wire should be tagged 81a it goes to the dash switch as well. The ABS is powered up thru the PCB box on wires 5 and 5b that then goes to the circuit breakers for other things.

You need to download the P2P program it will help you chase wires easier.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks