• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Skyjacker 4" Lift Kit - differences between offered shock

TM1008

I want to order an 4" Lift Kit from Skyjacker for my 1985 K30.
But i'm not sure where the differences are between the shocks, hydro ... nitro ... black max ... m95 performance ...... :shock:

Since I drive more road than off-road would be a little less soft chassis interesting.

Currently I have a 2.5" skyjacker lift with hydro shock, little bit to soft in curves

thx for help

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Do you still have the ok sway bar hooked up in front? Soft in turns is kind of surprising, tires underinflated?

Well if single wheel K30 then it will ride a little bit better, but still not smooth. Rear springs stay the same while fronts are changed to up arched leaf springs. Shocks can help a little on road but really work off road much better. Then upgrade your steering stabilizer shocks to a dual setup for the extra strain from larger tires, and help with Death Wobble.

If you have the dual wheel K30, well there is no ride you just hold on because the truck rides like a wagon with no suspension at all. I have both with 6 inch lift 35's on one, 36's on the dually with spacers. The shocks help little again on road but do help much more off road being you are more aggressive and help much more with compression. More weight also to control. The same with steering dampers, double up.

You can purchase a different set of softer springs for more "flex", and in the rear experiment with dropping out some leafs in the rear, or shackle flip instead of blocks, and or larger arched springs. Race offroad trucks lots of flex, large reservoir
nitro shocks.

So many options it just depends on how you decide to use the truck. I use mine like mules so I put on a premium Delco, or Gabriel, Tuff Country on the dually, all around. No gas, just larger piston. When crawling loaded offroad, pulling, the shock in my view is not doing to much other than some roll control, less quick spring reaction. But when I DROP THE HAMMER on that dually, Heavy, empty, and 450HP 454, well the more Aggressive you are the Better your shock better be to control the compression stroke, or spring wrap up. With large spring packs, rebound is controlled somewhat, but not like the compression stroke.

YMMV Just my 2 cents which means nothing.

The D30, 1008A1 I have left alone because the truck went through a maintenance overhaul in 2010 with everything marked as such. Lots of NAPA, shocks included, new tires, windshield, dash, seat. Even fresh CARC painted local camo scheme.

Last edited:

OLDCHEV4X4

The Hydro type shocks are the cheapie in the shock world. I always go with the gas (nitro) shocks.
Like cucvmule said check sway bar bushings, and tire pressure. Some tires have thin sidewall plies and do not corner well.
Worn spring and shackle bushings can make it feel loose also.

Glockfan

I have had good luck with the Bilstein 5100-series shocks in combination with a pair of F250 front shock mounts on my 1986 M1031 (converted to an M1028A1). ORD has guided me through my build and has not steered me wrong to date. YMMV

TM1008

Hello together

The torsion bar is fixed on all there points, with PU bushes, front shackles too.
The pressure is ~2.5 bar with tires in size 315 75 r16 (~35"), they are Hankook Dynopro MT

Harder leaf springs would be an option, but Skyjacker Kits are only with soft leaf springs.
Pro Comp or Superlift... i don't know

I want to ordner by summit racing, they shipping to a airport in germany.
On the shopping card are now:
- Skyjacker C140CK
- Skyjacker Pitarm CA50

...and now i don't know which shocks: Nitro N8051/N8073 or Black Max B8551/B8573
And than with matching dual steering shocks: Skyjacker 7255 or 8255.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hello TM1008, Looks like you have an idea of what you would like to order from Summit. Do you have a catalog or are online shopping?

TM1008

Hello

I wanted to order online at Summit.

I just do not know now, which shocks I should take.
The Hydro of Skyjacker are too soft for me (which have in my 2.5 "lift).
Have often read Bilstein B8 here, are these a little firmer?

Bilstein B8 front
Bilstein B8 rear
....i'm not sure about both shocks and if they fit
Or better SJ Nitro shock front / rear
or maybe Black Max front / rear
:?:

The remaining parts:
Steering Stabilizer
Lift Kit Components
Lift Kit
Pitarm

I'm also thinking of replacing the blocks with shackle flips of offroad design.

joshuak

TM1008, I may be mistaken but I think that the leaf spring spring rate has more to do with vehicle stability than the stiffness of your shocks.

I'm not familiar with Skyjacker products, so I can't comment on comparisons. But I can say I'm very happy with the road manners of my M1010 that has Offroad designs 3" lift system, link. Springs are Tough Country HD and shocks are Bilsteins 5125's with extended shock mounts.

Maybe send ORD a PM, they are supporting vendors here.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/member.php?30986-Offroad-Design

Glockfan

TM1008, I may be mistaken but I think that the leaf spring spring rate has more to do with vehicle stability than the stiffness of your shocks.

I'm not familiar with Skyjacker products, so I can't comment on comparisons. But I can say I'm very happy with the road manners of my M1010 that has Offroad designs 3" lift system, link. Springs are Tough Country HD and shocks are Bilsteins 5125's with extended shock mounts.

Maybe send ORD a PM, they are supporting vendors here.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/member.php?30986-Offroad-Design
EXACTLY what he said! You will not go wrong with ORD!

sweetk30

fyi : its a SWAY BAR up front not a torsion bar . just so you dont get the terms mixed up .

i have been ordering from ord = offroad design for over 15+ years . just ordered the other day .

and look in to tuff country = nice firm ride in the HD line of springs . i run the 3"HD front on my k30 with 350sbc / th400-205 t-case and 8ft snow plow . i also have the sway bar hooked up wih the ord sway bar disconnect kit for the lift correction .

as said the bilstien shocks are the HOT ticket these days for the square body gm trucks we play with .

offroad design will ship any place you want as far as i know.

NOT ruff country = there DUMP TRUCK stiff springs . i have removed these for guys after they hate the ride .

TM1008

Hello everybody

Thank you for your help.
I looked at the lift kits at ORD and let me put one together.

For me it's more about a slightly better road conditions than good traction in the area

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everybody

Thank you for your help.
I looked at the lift kits at ORD and let me put one together.

For me it's more about a slightly better road conditions than good traction in the area
I have just ordered a lift kit from ORD 2 days ago. They do not ship international so you will have to find someone who can have them shipped. I contacted USA2YOU.nl to do so, a Dutch company, but I think they can ship to Germany as well. You might want to ask them. By letting them handle the purchase as well I save a lot of money on shipping and import fees and taxes compared to doing it myself through UPS or similar.

TM1008

Thank you .... I have not ordered yet

Here I found a link where the spring rate of various 4 "leaf springs is listed.
If I understand correctly, then the SJ 4" leaf springs are harder than the 4" TC HD?

TM1008

Hello together

I look for mounting plates and round u-bolts for the rear leaf spring, where can i find this?
Actually there are mounted square u-bolts.
I want to assemble the nuts above.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello together

I look for mounting plates and round u-bolts for the rear leaf spring, where can i find this?
Actually there are mounted square u-bolts.
I want to assemble the nuts above.
Look for a "U-bolt reversal kit". I've seen multiple companies that make them. Mine will be from ORD as well.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My kit arrived today.

IMG_20190306_162306.jpg

4" lift kit from Offroad Design with steering box brace, u-bolt reversal kit and D60 kingpin spring and bushing kit.

Very happy with the quality. Great service from ORD and packaged very well! Cost me about 2800 euros including shipping and import fees and taxes, but IMO it is money well spent! I did NOT want to go with a cheap lift that uses blocks.

I asked USA2YOU.nl and they do ship to Germany. I highly recommend them. They can keep shipping costs down using their volume discount and also import fees and taxes, 300 euro instead of 800+!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks