Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HMMWV Bill in Washington State...Testimony help needed

Corporal
    MVPA
    Not yet
    Thanks

Default HMMWV Bill in Washington State...Testimony help needed

The bill sponsored by my state senators up for consideration. I've been asked to testify.

-Does anyone have a list of which states allow HMMWVs on the road?

-Aside from dispelling some of the myths about the vehicle (weight, pollution, etc, )
    does anyone have some salient points they would like to make?

-Is there anyone else in the State who would like to testify? I still have not reached MVPA or anyone else.

It happens Monday, so any help would be appreciated.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEB For This Useful Post:

TOBASH (01-25-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-25-2019)

Thanks

What are you going to say? That they're not that stable on and offroad? You can loose a spindle nut and a whole 200lbs tire assembly can go through a car killing a family. No crush zones, Roll bar, or safety side protection? No bumpers, cheesy horn, nor antilock brakes that can snap a shaft If locked up and render the brake useless? The engines aren't EPA certified Ie no emissions equipment. oh and they only go like 55 comfortably without winding the the engine up.

BTW what are testifying as? Expert in? A hmmwv owner will be seen as biased.
    Everything above is my two cents worth. If it offends you, well, deep breath.
    Back from the Bolshevik Exile.
    U.S.A Ret.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tage For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-25-2019)

Corporal
    MVPA
    Not yet
    Thanks

I see you'll be testifying for the state!

I'm not a HMMWV owner.
    I'll just refute some of the misconceptions the woman at the State Patrol daid.
    The engines are basically GM units that did pass EPA tests, the suspension isn't different than the ones in the civil
    H1.

They were safe enough for the DoD to put its soldiers in. And they did test them extensively, especially after the M151 problems.

No crash zones, no air bags, but neither did my CJ which is welcomed on the road in every state. I won't even mention Model Ts or my 1914 roadster.

As far as a wheel coming off, the same can be said for any logging truck or red neck pickup.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ha not quite! Just playing a little devils advocate. I hate reach by government officials that try to set up "legacy".

Good rebuttal. Just do what they do in some states. Add bumpers/mud flaps, add a diesel catalytic converter.... OR does opacity anyways so emissions is a moot point anyways. look at the 30 year rule for vehicles to be exempt. That's how they get all those gray market cars in the US.

You should spend your time talking to your senators on that new mag ban instead of hmmwv's. 5 round capacity, and only can buy 20 rounds every month. Yeah that's not constitutional...

This reminds me. I need to call my congressman again. SOB has been ignoring my calls....
    Last edited by tage; 01-24-2019 at 15:38.
    Everything above is my two cents worth. If it offends you, well, deep breath.
    Back from the Bolshevik Exile.
    U.S.A Ret.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JEB View Post
    As far as a wheel coming off, the same can be said for any logging truck or red neck pickup.
    Crazy story...three weeks ago driving into Needles on my way to Yermo to pick up my M998, we saw a big ol tire fly down the off ramp and through the intersection 100 feet in front of us. New-ish pickup grinding to a halt just up the ramp. Noticed this on a lot of the HMMWVs there...
    20181226_121147.jpg
    1993 M998
    1986 M1009(sold)
    1992 M101CDN(sold)
    "Non Vi Sed, Arte"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DREDnot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I see you'll be testifying for the state!
    I'm not a HMMWV owner.
    I'll just refute some of the misconceptions the woman at the State Patrol daid.
    The engines are basically GM units that did pass EPA tests, the suspension isn't different than the ones in the civil
    H1.
    They were safe enough for the DoD to put its soldiers in. And they did test them extensively, especially after the M151 problems.
    No crash zones, no air bags, but neither did my CJ which is welcomed on the road in every state. I won't even mention Model Ts or my 1914 roadster.
    I just purchased one that was registered in 2 states prior to mine. I am getting the previous registration from the prior owner. I will be attempting to register the vehicle next week.

My plan is to bring in the bill of sale and the prior registration that lists the vehicle as a "1992 AM General M998". I hope that is the extent of what I'll need.

Now I also have a backup plan and this is why I am posting to this thread and your question. I don't know if your state has a similar law but here we can register a vehicle in several different categories. For passenger vehicles here we can do a normal registration, an Antique, a Street Rod or a custom vehicle.

Normal we all know. Antique is 25 years or older. It can't be modified or must be reasonably close to original (no blowers, 454 in a Model T, etc.). A Street Rod needs to be 1949 or earlier.

Here is my states definition of a Custom Vehicle.

§458-B. Custom vehiclesA custom vehicle may be registered in accordance with the provisions of this section. [2005, c. 321, §4 (NEW); 2005, c. 321, §6 (AFF).]
    1. Registration fee. The fee for the custom vehicle registration plate is the regular motor vehicle registration fee required by section 501 and the excise tax required by Title 36, section 1482.
    [ 2005, c. 321, §4 (NEW); 2005, c. 321, §6 (AFF) .]

2. Registration plates. The Secretary of State shall issue a registration certificate and a set of custom vehicle registration plates in a 3-number and 3-letter combination sequence to be used in lieu of regular registration plates.

3. Application. An application for registration of a vehicle under this section must be accompanied by an affidavit that includes a statement indicating the year and make that the body of the custom vehicle resembles and that the vehicle is garaged or maintained in the State.

4. Registration. The registration must indicate the year and make that the body of the custom vehicle resembles and must indicate the vehicle has been modified.

5. Vanity plates. The Secretary of State may issue vanity plates in accordance with section 453 and may not duplicate vanity plates issued in another class of plate.

6. Weight limit. A custom vehicle registration plate may be issued for a motor vehicle that does not exceed 10,000 pounds.
    [ 2011, c. 139, §2 (AMD) .]

7. Inspection. A custom vehicle is subject to the inspection requirements of section 1751, except that the Chief of the State Police may provide certain exemptions for custom vehicles pursuant to section 1769.

The Affidavit has to be completed and carried with the registration. Here is what it says...

Custom Vehicle: A motor vehicle at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948, or a motor vehicle that was manufactured toresemble a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; which has been altered from the manufacturer’soriginal design or has a body constructed from non-original material.
    https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/forms/...20fillable.pdf

The civilian "Hummer H1" was released to the public March 14 1992.

Based on the current registration laws, I believe my 1992 AM General is a Custom Vehicle that is based on the 1992 Hummer H1. If it meets the state inspection requirements then it meets the laws of the state.

You might check to see if your state already has something on the books that would allow it to be registered in a similar manner. Maybe you can apply that logic to your argument. It doesn't apply to all Humvee's here but mine meets the age requirements.

In the case of the original H1 there are no differences in technology, safety and design that I am aware of.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to springer1981 For This Useful Post:

4 Star General Retiredwarhorses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 669 Posts

The bill sponsored by my state senators up for consideration. I've been asked to testify.

-Aside from dispelling some of the myths about the vehicle (weight, pollution, etc, )

-Is there anyone else in the State who would like to testify? I still have not reached MVPA or anyone else.

i would have ready

MIL-STD-1180B this is the military to FMVSS document.

look at Idaho House Bill 506 passed last year and SB645 from Oregon

i work on all 6.2, 6.5NA and 6.5TD motors in both military and civilian trucks, there is NO SMOG devices to speak of that are really that much different then mil application, Heck, A2’s have catalytic converters same as Civilian H1.
    i would press for at minimum a 25yrs or older as historical plate, while not the best option, it’s worked in many states.
    A HMMWV is identical to a 92-93 Hummer H1....
    every state seems to follow the same BS excuse...FMVSS, Smog Compliance and short VIN.
    -I see FMVSS as mute based on mil-std-1180B
    -smog is horse manure because this same motor is used in millions of trucks and they have no issue titling M1009’s and m1008’s.
    -short vin is BS cuz they can easily issue a new vin at Highway patrol office.

truck has everything but backup lights...and they could make that a requirement.
    Retired War Horses Restoration

"Where HMMWV's is All We Do"

A Veteran owned business

www.RetiredWarHorses.com

So many HMMWV’s I lost count years ago....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retiredwarhorses For This Useful Post:

infidel got me (02-09-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-25-2019)

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,918 Times in 2,594 Posts

I wish they had done something along the lines of this wording for the data plates on every military truck not just the oshkosh stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General M923A1 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT3B turbo, Intercooled, #15 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 8" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    83' M923A1
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simp5782 For This Useful Post:

cwc (01-26-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-25-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,593 Times in 371 Posts

Moved your thread to the Politics Related to the MV Hobby forum.

Has the bill been introduced yet? If so, do you have the bill number? I searched the WA Legislature site and couldn’t find the bill. http://search.leg.wa.gov/search.aspx#document

Definitely reach out to the MVPA.
    Chris Stansbury, founder of Chris' CUCV Homepage in 1998 and Steel Soldiers in 1999.

Current:
    1962 Dodge M37B1

Gone, but not forgotten:
    M1009, M35A2, M1009, M561, 404 Mog, M818, M923A2, M931A1, M1008, M925A2, M998

HUGE M925A2 Build Thread: https://bit.ly/2uPlSnZ

HUGE M923A2 Build Thread: https://bit.ly/2uO2g3K

Father, lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to steelsoldiers For This Useful Post:

General
    Thanks

Wisconsin allows HMMWVs to register, and for only $25 for lifetime registration. [s.341.266(1)(am)3, Wis. Stats.]
    MIL STD 1180B has a chart in it, which specifies that military vehicles have to meet MIL STD equipment standards, AND most importantly, it lists the equivalent FMVSS requirements. This means that military vehicles have to meet the exact same safety equipment requirements as civilian vehicles - only they have a different name.
    The MIL STD 1180B has already been accepted by a Wis. Appeal court as proving FMVSS compliance.
    Military vehicles are exempted from FMVSS compliance by Title 49 US Code. But being exempted doesn't mean preclude meeting the equivalent standards (MIL STD), they do.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undysworld For This Useful Post:

cwc (01-26-2019), gimpyrobb (01-25-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (01-25-2019)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast