Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: HMMWV Bill in Washington State...Testimony help needed

Corporal
    MVPA
    Not yet
    Thanks

In Respose to the reply I received from the state, I asked more questions.
    The DoL rep answered them...
    MY QUESTIONS ARE PREFACED WITH THE DOT...

Good afternoon John,

I have answered your questions in the list below. To summarize – what you would like to do would require either for your vehicle to have documentation that it meets FMVSS, or a law change. We cannot accept vehicles on a case-by-case basis. Because we are an agency of the state, we must follow the law.

• If the state legislature passed a law allowing specific vehicles to be considered "collector vehicles", would the DoL accept that?
    • Would the DoL actively fight or argue against such a law of it is brought before the legislature?

A bill doing what you describe was brought before the legislature this year, SB 5417. To my knowledge DOL did not testify for or against that bill. I can’t speak for the agency’s stance on future proposed legislation, but if a law were passed, we would certainly follow it.

• Is there any mechanism where the DoL would accept (even on a case by case basis?) the MIL STD 1180B as an equivalent of the FMVSS?

MIL STD 1180B was reviewed prior to DOL establishing its current policy. DOL cannot accept vehicles manufactured under this standard, even on a case by case basis.

• Assuming the FMVSS issue were solved to everyone's satisfaction, would the DOL find another reason not to license the vehicles based on some concern our communications has not addressed?

I am not currently aware of any other obstacles to registering tactical military vehicles outside of FMVSS. However, resolving the FMVSS issue will require legislative action, as Washington currently does not have a legal means to certify vehicles as compliant.

• Similarly, current federal law allows non FMVSS autos to be imported when they reach 25 years of age. Are such vehicles licensed in Washington, if so how?

Federal law only allows the importation and ownership of vehicles which were not manufactured to FMVSS after 25 years. Each state controls their own roads, and eligibility to be registered for on-road use is on a state-by-state basis. However, there are various means to certify a foreign manufactured vehicle as being compliant with FMVSS.

Therefore, some foreign vehicles are eligible to be registered in Washington and others are not. It depends on the make of vehicle, how/when it was brought into the country, and whether the individual vehicle has been certified as being brought into compliance with FMVSS, per 49 U.S.C. § 30141.
    • Given non-FMVSS vehicles, (either by age...pre-1968, owner-assembled "kit cars", or vehicles imported under the federal statues mentioned above) ARE licensed for operation on Washington roads, I'd like to see if military vehicles can be given equal consideration.
    • If not, why?
    The FMVSS only applies to vehicles manufactured after its inception in 1968, and therefore cannot be applied to pre-1968 vehicles. Kit vehicles are covered under RCW 46.37.519, which details the safety requirements, including references to FMVSS. Imported vehicles status varies, as I spoke to above, and do generally need to be certified as complying with safety standards.

In order for tactical military vehicles to eligible for on-road use, it would require an act of the legislature to either provide a process for inspections which would allow them to be certified as compliant or not, or explicitly grant them an exception from FMVSS.

Thank you,

Tim Davis-Simpson
    Liaison Officer 2- Vehicle and Vessel Operations
    Last edited by JEB; 04-28-2019 at 17:52.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEB For This Useful Post:

98G (04-28-2019), Coug (04-29-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (04-28-2019)

Sergeant
    Thanks

Here's a copy of the guidance they put out, available at all the licensing offices. Unfortunately it does say that having a clean form 97 does not equate to being suitable for on road use.
    SCAN0011.jpgSCAN0012.jpg

Private
    Thanks

Bit of a late reply but I was wondering something... If they won't register one based on the FMVSS/SF97, would they register it if it had a current title and registration from another state? I have a 1045a2 that has a clear Georgia on road title/registration. If not, I might have to do what a lot of people in this state already do and register in Oregon..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJ For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-26-2019)

Corporal
    MVPA
    Not yet
    Thanks

No.
    The truck I was looking at had an Idaho road title.
    I asked the specific question and the Dept. of Liscensing bureaucrat said no.

I asked if we could come to some sort of good faith effort to make everyone happy.
    No, he said.

I reminded him we are talking about a few trucks used under the current Collector Car license limitations, and they said No.

And they have the gaul to wonder why some people distrust "big government".

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEB For This Useful Post:

98G (06-26-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-26-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Looks like Oregon it is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJ For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-26-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4