• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steelsoldiers’ BIG M756A2 Project!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My dad bought this M756A2 off of GL in 2003 with aspirations of restoring it with his boys, putting it to work on occasion, and mostly just enjoying driving it. Unfortunately, life gets in the way, so he ended up using it very little over the last 16 years. Now, he has sadly run out of time and ambition to work on the truck, and has decided to pass it on to me.

I’m planning on doing a full cosmetic restoration over the next few years, but right now, all of the mechanical systems are my top priority because I’ll be taking it on several long road trips to Steel Soldiers rallies this year. The Navy had been maintaining it up until the time it was released, so it ran, drove, and stopped very well. It has been covered/mothballed for about 6 years, so I am going to have to do a bunch of PMCS to get it ready for the road.

Here’s what I’m planning on doing to it

• Change engine oil and check/change transmission oil, transfer case oil, and diff oil
  • Change all filters, maybe go spin-on to make it easier to find parts and change filters on the road
  • Flush cooling system and fill with fresh coolant
  • Flush brake system, check all shoes, brake lines, wheel cylinders, drums
  • Drain and flush fuel tank
  • Grease all grease fittings
  • Check front end alignment
  • Check all tires for weather checking and dry rot
  • Replace batteries, check/clean all electrical connections and bulb sockets
  • Road test multiple times and look for leaking seals, axle boots, wheel cylinders, brake lines, fuel lines, and cooling hoses after the truck gets good and warm

I’m sure I’m missing some stuff here and will figure it out as I get deeper into this project. Anything else y’all would add to the list?

Here’s a video of it with my dad driving it around the storage yard where it’s been living since 2003:

https://youtu.be/zdLPw-xa1LA

Stay tuned for lots of updates!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris, that truck is sweet. Did I see a NAVY SEABEE sticker on the door? Very cool.
Thanks, Bruce. The decal is for the Maritime Expeditionary Security Force. The attached pic is of some repro decals made by Dave aka 67Beast. I’ll put the new ones on once it gets repainted.

Attachments

Ajax MD

Thanks, Bruce. The decal is for the Maritime Expeditionary Security Force. The attached pic is of some repro decals made by Dave aka 67Beast. I’ll put the new ones on once it gets repainted.
Haha! That's me! We didn't have any "pipeline construction" trucks in my unit though. Very interesting! MIUW or MESF never constructed any pipelines. I suspect that the truck was simply handed down to them and that they used it for ordinary equipment transport- i.e. tents, cots, ECU's and other junk.

Seems rare, like Wes's telephone pole repair truck. Don't let that truck go.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Haha! That's me! We didn't have any "pipeline construction" trucks in my unit though. Very interesting! MIUW or MESF never constructed any pipelines. I suspect that the truck was simply handed down to them and that they used it for ordinary equipment transport- i.e. tents, cots, ECU's and other junk.
Seems rare, like Wes's telephone pole repair truck. Don't let that truck go.
I thought I recognized your avatar! Yes, I'm guessing the truck was a hand-me-down because all of the pipeline stuff was gone by the time my dad got it. The gin poles, rear winch, trunnion, sheaves, stiff legs, etc... were all missing, and it had bows and a cargo cover on it. Thankfully, with lots of help from the SS family, we have been able to track down a lot of the special items. The truck is a family heirloom now, so it's not going anywhere!

Very cool, looking fwd to seeing more pics of it!
Thanks, Will! I'll put up some more pics this weekend!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here are some more photos as promised!

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that is close to home , small world indeed !!!! Amazing it is in that good condition considering it came out of western NY . what with the liquid acid they put on the roads in winter . Very nice truck . Good luck , Bob k

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a fine piece of history right there, will be watching this thread with great interest.

Thanks for your dedication and hard efforts sir.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks