• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steelsoldiers’ BIG M756A2 Project!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now that is close to home , small world indeed !!!! Amazing it is in that good condition considering it came out of western NY . what with the liquid acid they put on the roads in winter . Very nice truck . Good luck , Bob k
Thank you, Bob. It’s a good 50 foot truck as they say. Looks like the unit it was attached to was really good at painting over rust. The fenders, doors, cab corners, stake pockets, tool boxes, and stiff leg sockets all need rust repair. Thankfully, I’m very prepared for that having lived in the rust belt all my life.

That's a fine piece of history right there, will be watching this thread with great interest.

Thanks for your dedication and hard efforts sir.
Thanks! Looking forward to getting this project underway!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, how much of the truck-specific stuff have you been able to locate vs. are you still looking for? I am curious how far away from completing the truck you are. That sure is a great truck to restore.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris, how much of the truck-specific stuff have you been able to locate vs. are you still looking for? I am curious how far away from completing the truck you are. That sure is a great truck to restore.
Thanks, Bruce. Up until about 2 weeks ago, we had been able to find all of the BII except for the trunnion and the stake pocket adapters. Thankfully, Kenny in WI was able to find a trunnion for me, so now we just need a set of stake pocket adapters.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crud, I can't remember the guys name that bought all my BII but I do recall have 2 sets of stake pocket adapters.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Crud, I can't remember the guys name that bought all my BII but I do recall have 2 sets of stake pocket adapters.
I can’t think of his name either. One of our fellow SS members knew him and was able to contact him about selling me a trunnion. He wasn’t interested in selling that, but I never asked about the stake pocket adapters. I’ll have to go back through my old PMs and see if I can find him.

Ajax MD

I haven't. I'm betting the truck served most of its life with the Seabees. They're the only Navy group that would be laying pipelines that I can think of.
When the Seabees got done playing with it, it went to the MIUW.

That's my educated guess.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Keith's truck is only 11 numbers away:
IMG_2420.jpg
These two pics were posted on the site a long time ago:
m756 laam_site seabees vietnam.jpgm756 in_cab_field_truck seabees vietnam.jpg
Not the best pic but I think the truck on the left is an m756:
m756 vietnam da nang camp adenir.png
Seabees pipeline truck with the cargo bed in Vietnam 1970:
m756 vietnam seabees 1970.png
Another one, not sure the year or location:
seabees pipeline truck.jpg

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Keith's truck is only 11 numbers away:
View attachment 756223
Love the vintage pics. Thanks for posting, Jon. I didn’t realize the Seabees used so many pipeline trucks, but it makes sense if you think about it. That’s really cool that Keith’s is so close numerically to mine. I wonder if they were attached to the same unit at some point?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That’s really cool that Keith’s is so close numerically to mine. I wonder if they were attached to the same unit at some point?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was from the same unit, his still had the sharks on the doors too. I'll ask him where he bought it from next time I see him, I think he told me but I can't remember now. It's been out of service at least as long as yours.

Some more Vietnam pics but not all navy trucks:

m756 vietnam 2.jpgm756 vietnam 3.jpgm756 vietnam 4.jpg
Da Nang
m756 vietnam da nang.png
Another with cargo bed on the right:
m756 vietnam.jpg
1966. This one might be a navy truck. I have a couple more pics of a navy m756 that looks like it could be the same truck, but it's completely destroyed.
m756 gasser vietnam 1966.png

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
"Camouflage nets cover vehicles and equipment of Mobile Inshore Undersea Warfare Unit 210 during the joint military training exercise Ocean Venture '92."
m756a2 navy camp lejeune OCEAN VENTURE '92 unit 210.jpg
Missing the gin poles and maybe even the headache rack.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks