• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Headlight reposition

tobyS

I'm changing the headlight and turn signal lights on my A3 because the side engine panel hits the turn light. I was going to make an entirely new one that would have both inside, but I decided to adapt the ones that were on it. It requires moving them inward on the fender to mount the turn next to the headlight. I'll use the long radius and flange, so left goes to right and right to left. I'm making them 1/2" narrower and a 90 deg at the engine to bolt on.

Photo is taking apart to cut and rework. Looks like some new lens or led is needed. Glad I took them (headlights) fully apart to repair some rust and fully grease it to adjust properly...they needed it.

Edit....don't forget that the hood and side panels taper like I did on the first cut. I want the outside to be parallel with the vehicle, thus have to build a taper in.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

I cut the left side to fit tight against the cowling and have the turn signal on the outside. It was too cramped and didn't look right. I'm going back to the original plan of one housing mount that has both headlight and turn signal in it. Plus I'll make it go back and attach to the fender so that debris doesn't collect there. Maybe I should make it from diamond plate and make it a step.

tobyS

I got these at the surplus store for $2 each. They use a 2057 bulb that I can get an LED replacement for. I'm going to have to go get a few more. They are cast aluminum and have a nice gasket. Seeing the lens only in Grote for about $8, convinced me they are a good deal. Adding a reflector brightened them up.

The one on its side will go on the side for marker/turn.

I would like OEM, but I'll use what's available.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheQuaker

Did you ever get these installed like you were planning? I am curious to see how it turned out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

tobyS

Did you ever get these installed like you were planning? I am curious to see how it turned out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
No, not yet. I got interested in a front end lengthening project (using an 809 series hood) and am holding back on the lights for now.... have to get other parts of it together....like on it's wheels, drive train, new tranny, bed, seats, top, drivers door, +, +.

I just got LED's for all the lights and tested them out. They look great. LED bulbs have come down a lot in price. Fixture plus LED for under $10.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks