• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jack and stand capacities for 5 tons

Ajax MD

Harbor Freight is having a 20% off sale for the next 3 days.

I'm looking at a 12 ton air-over-hydraulic jack and 12 ton jack stands, which in theory, could support the entire truck in the air, plus one more ton.
Is this adequate or do I really need 20 ton jacks and stands?

I will not be hauling loads or using the truck for commercial purposes so I will not be broken down on the side of the road trying to jack up 10 tons of cargo in my 10 ton truck.

What say the Quorum?

Ajax MD

Any concerns about getting this stuff from Harbor (China) Freight?

Tractor Supply has Torin jacks, which I *think* are made in the US, but are more expensive.

Edit: Disregard, Torin jacks are made in China.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 20 ton air/hyd HF jack. It worked great for me, I gave it to another SS member by me after I sold my truck, he had it fail on him, using it on a M916.

Ajax MD

Ok, you guys have convinced me not to cheap out on the jack. I'll get the 20t air/hyd. jack.
I'm glad to hear that 12t jack stands are adequate.

This'll be my first pilgrimage to a Harbor Freight. I'm not setting foot in that place without a written list because I know I'd fill a flat load cart.

74M35A2

You should see some of these knarly jack stands these cats here have. Looks like they could hold up a locomotive. Seriously. Gimpyrobb in OH is one, grendel in NJ is another.

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Scrounger visited and spent the afternoon with me, showing me smarter, easier ways to do things, safety tips and giving the truck a look-over.

I learned a lot in a short time and I'm very grateful to him for being generous with his time and knowledge. I think one of his best tips was how to acquire quality tools at affordable prices so that I can avoid the hassles caused by using cheap tools. I also got a lesson in how to use the torque multiplying lug wrench I bought.

Generally, his opinion is that the truck is clean and solid and to just keep working my way through the deferred maintenance.
I got +'s for the hard top and heater.

I feel much more confident about the truck and the path forward.

m715mike

My experience with Harbor Freight...

I have not had tools break on me yet. But my Harbor Freight tools are relatively new and haven’t been used much. I bought a number of tools for post-swimming maintenance after Hurricane Harvey.

You need to have the coupon or advertisement with you when you check out. They will not automatically give you the best price. Lastly, watch the adds closely. The catalogues I get in the mail will list a few items twice (the exact same item once in the front and again in the back of the catalogue) at different prices. Yes, the same item in one catalogue at different prices!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks