• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep814a

Oznog

Hello,

I'm looking for repair/maintenance parts for Mep814A generator. Specifically, I'm needing to replace the glow plugs. They are not wanting to come out. I know they are swollen. Any advice on removing them without breaking?

Guyfang

Staff member
You do know that the MEP-814A is the same thing as a MEP-804A. Its just the 814 is a 400 hertz set, and the 804 is 60 hertz. The manuals are the same. All the manuals you need for your gen set are here in the TM forum. I would use heat and some kind of rust eating liquid. new glow plugs can be had by looking up the part numbers and maybe NSN's and then plugging the numbers into your web browser.

Oznog

I found a glow plug pulling tool from Kascar. Looks like it might help. Got some PB catalyst penetrant. Waiting for the glow plugs to come in. The motor isn't starting. I need new batteries and to bleed the injectors. Is there a way to heat up the glow plugs without running the engine? Or should I focus on getting it started first? I have started it before with a battery charger and a shot of ether.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would pull the old plugs out, replace them and then try and start it. Bleed the injectors, and it should start up. If you don't get fuel coming out of the injectors, look at the Electric actuator. Is it moving? If not, get in the book for testing, adjusting the Magnetic Pickup. Stop fooling around with ether. You don't need it. Of course there is a way to warm up the plugs. Turn the S1 to the preheat position. When I used preheat, I used it 2-3 times, then tried to start it. Where you are, preheat is something seldom used. Even without the preheat function of S1, you can jump the preheat relay. But I don't think you need it. First the plugs, then bleed it. Then you can decide where to go. Do not make this too complicated. One step at a time.

Spent a lot of time up that way in the hay day of Patriot. Sure miss the weather.

Oznog

Yes sir. You cannot beat NM winters. I ride my motorcycle 365. So I also just replaced S1. I get 24v at the glow plugs on preheat. I can hear the pump come on in prime/run aux. position. The motor turns in the start position. Should I be able to hear the fuel pump when in the prime/run position?

Guyfang

Staff member
The 804B has a mechanical pump. So you don't hear anything in the run position.

Food for thought:
1. Did you get the S1 hooked up right?
2. Is it the right S1, and what type is it? There are 3 versions.
3.When the S1 is in the run or start position, the Electric actuator should pull down. Did it?
4. Did you use the hand pump to help prime the system?

Last edited:

Oznog

I think the S1 is correct. Once the generator starts, it runs fine. Starting is the issue. Once I found the manual, I tested the resistance of the glow plugs and found 2 of them to be shorted and 2 of them were over 4.8 ohms (open). I replaced the fuel filters and used the hand pump to prime, loosening the bleeder screws on the injector pump. Is there a better method? I'm not sure where the electric actuator is or how to test.

Guyfang

Staff member
Open the parts TM, TM 9-6115-643-24P, (PDF reader page number 158) Figure 21. Engine Accessories (Sheet 5 of 5). Look for item 77. It hooks to the back of the injector pump, and the governor tells it how fast to make the engine go. Or, tells it to start and stop. There is a cannon plug on the wire harness, that hooks to the Actuator. Disconnect it from the actuator, and have someone use the S1 to try and start the set. You should read 24 volts at the cannon plug. If you do not have 24 volts at the plug, I would then check the Magnetic pickup. The Mag pickup has to function right, (count the teeth of the flywheel, and send a signal to the electric governor. Test and adjustment procedure are in the -24 manual.

Oznog

I got the glow plugs replaced. New fuel filter and fuel/water separator. I hand primed the system. After many tries I got it to start. I let it run for 3 hours. Shut it down. No restart. Any advice?

Oznog

So I found the mag pickup. Took it out, cleaned, reinstalled, and adjusted. It started right up. I'm buying a new one to keep on hand. NPN 6695-01-367-9723 if anyone needs one. Thanks Guyfang for all the information and advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks