• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LPW2 Questions

Diezel

New to the forum been lurking looking up some info and have a few questions. I recently purchased an LPW2 outta a genset i don’t know which. Came with the flywheel an all. Now my plan is to put this behind my Lincoln welder (9kw unit) I’ve researched and read these engine are 1800rpm all day long but can achieve 3600rpm which is where I’ll need it for the 1-3minutes that’s I’m actually welding. Is that true can they reach that rpm? Side note I’m a huge gear head and plan on heavily modifing this engine (turbo charger, intercooler, lift pump and bigger fuel lines) :p

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MFG website shows they are rated for higher RPMs. Here on the forum the application is 1800 RPM so I don't know how much info we would be able to offer about what you are planning to do.

I'd be really interested to hear back about your experience though!

Diezel

I’ll add updates. Thanks for the info. Worst comes the worst I’ll add a small pulley system to compensate for what I need. But yeah I got the engine rebuild, new rings and injectors. I actually married it the welder the other day. Almost ready for a test fire just have to finish, the plumbing for the turbo and fuel lines and thing like that. This is where I’m at now, just for an idea

87EF7B4D-B457-4016-9B1F-55C26278BEF3.jpg

Diezel

Thanks. Hope to have it done before spring. So I can get my side work going. Because I’m trying to keep it as compact as possible I hardly have the room for 1 battery let only 2, the engine is still 24v system are there 12v starters and alternators on the market for these engines? I did a quick search I’m thinking about picking a GM 1 wire alternator and swapping the pulley but will still need a starter

Lovetofix

You can definitely get 12V starters and alternators that are OEM and aftermarket ones as well. The easiest way to find one would be to look up your nearest Lister Petter dealer.
I have a spare of both for my LPW3 that I have in Haiti. A lot of older civilian gensets from the UK were powered by Lister Petter LPW2-3-4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokem joe

Starter Motor - 12V - LPW/S3,4 ...............................757-26450

That shows in the parts manual I have. Guy jogged my memory that I had the manual

Diezel

I looked up that 12v starter (part # 757-26450) and compared it to the 24v I have and it’s not the same mine has 1 less tooth and a slightly different mounting setup. But I managed to cross reference the part number off of mine and found a 12v starter. Appreciate the help though.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked up that 12v starter (part # 757-26450) and compared it to the 24v I have and it’s not the same mine has 1 less tooth and a slightly different mounting setup. But I managed to cross reference the part number off of mine and found a 12v starter. Appreciate the help though.
Howdy,
Even more reason to post up the found info.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, please provide a correct fitment part number to help future users. We are only as good as the information we accumulate.

Demoh

Nice project, super jealous. Im waiting for my honda for my cat pump pressure washer to die to put behind one of these diesels, and I am very curious on the turbo setup.

What turbo did you end up using? The spec sheets for the 4 cylinder turbo look good, and appears to be the same turbo out of some small cars.

Ray70

In addition to the turbo size you used, can you give any detailed info on what you need to do to the fuel system to support the extra power of the turbo install? I've got a couple extra LPW2's and always thought of converting my log splitter, but why not throw on a turbo too. I have an extra turbo from a backhoe lying around....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks