• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

[solved] NOCO Genius4 installation - reliable starting now (howto)

dxhend2

Still learning all the many electrical/electronic nuances of our M1083A1 - biggest problem we had was unreliable starting (master power switch on, all the clicks and whirs, push big red button - nothin'...). This has been with us since our recovery trip last summer, making that more "adventurous" than we would have liked. After a lot of good threads and advice here on batteries and battery conditioners, I went with the NOCO Genius4 on new 6TL batteries (vice the Walmart 24H's that got us home).

After three months of operating with this setup, I'm calling it good to go now - reliable starts every time after sitting for weeks. I thought I'd share a post as more of a "how to" guide that hopefully may be helpful to someone else. One of the main problems addressed is how to mount a 15 lb battery conditioner to an FMTV in a way that it will stay on through the whole rodeo...

The NOCO Genius has great reviews as a battery conditioner, and is typically used in boats and RVs. For mounting in that kind of application, they include a little bag of #3 sheet metal screws that go through deep recess holes on each corner and through the sheet metal backplate of the Genius. That might work for a typical RV, but I don't think anyone here would ever use "#3 sheet metal screw" and "FMTV" in the same sentence...[sgenius1.jpg]
sgenius1.jpg

The over-engineered solution was to use 3/8" bolts as pegs going into the recess holes on each corner, with steel angle iron and a steel backplate making a sandwich around the Genius, all bolted under the frame near the battery box. [sgenius2.jpg]
sgenius2.jpg

Third picture shows the Genius "sandwich" assembled on the welding bench to make sure it all fits together. The Genius was removed, and the bolt heads welded into the angle iron braces. [sgenius3.jpg]
sgenius3.jpg

The back plate was bolted onto the frame just aft of the battery box/cutout switch with four bolts. [sgenius4.jpg]
sgenius4.jpg

After a little green paint, the "Genius sandwich" is bolted in place, ready to take a few G's in any direction. [sgenius5.jpg]
sgenius5.jpg

Trickle charge wires from the Genius needed to be extended about 12 inches (spliced, soldered and heat shrinked) and connected to each of the four 6LT batteries. [sgenius5a.jpg]
sgenius5a.jpg

Half-inch split-wire loom tubing made for a neat wiring management finish. Installation complete, all batteries charging (red lights on each channel, go green when respective battery is fully charged. [sgenius6.jpg]
sgenius6.jpg

I put a Kill-a-watt meter on the line and keep it plugged in all the time. [sgenius7.jpg] It seems to stay right around 11.2 watts in a "maintenance" mode (all lights green). We've been operating this way for three months so far, getting reliable starts every time after sitting for three-week stretches. Hope this helps someone with similar issues...
sgenius7.jpg

oboyjohn

Greetings fellas. Question for you two: Is the box of the charger sealed against water and dust infiltration? I personally find the chosen locations you used are ``exposed`` to the elements. Up here in Canada with our winters and all the salt that is laid down on the roads, I would mount it inside the cab. My two cents. Have a good day!

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the box of the charger sealed against water and dust infiltration?
I'm taking it you haven't looked into them at all. It's prominently featured in all their marketing and descriptions. This picture fills the whole browser window on their site.

https://no.co/gen4

GEN4-4-Bank-Waterproof-Onboard-Marine-Battery-Charger-IP68_1.jpg
"Fully submersible. 100% completely sealed waterproof on-board battery charger. Designed to operate in extreme conditions with a waterproof, shock and vibration resistant rugged construction, as well as saltwater tested to combat corrosion."

Last edited:

coachgeo

Still learning all the many electrical/electronic nuances of our M1083A1 - biggest problem we had was unreliable starting (master power switch on, all the clicks and whirs, push big red button - nothin'...). This has been with us since our recovery trip last summer, making that more "adventurous" than we would have liked.... went with the NOCO Genius4 on new 6TL batteries (vice the Walmart 24H's that got us home)...
thanks for the write up and pics. get the feeling you have a parasitic drain somewhere and the charger is simply compensating for it. sometimes you got to do what works. Your adventures will eventually point out the drain or another project will unknowingly fix it along the way. Thanks again

oboyjohn

Hi Awesomeness. No, I have not even seen them before. But being completely weatherproof is definitely a plus for Canadian winters. Thanks for the link and the info!

Third From Texas

Slick install !

I've always kept tenders on my Harleys and my off-road cars. I've never mounted them onto the vehicle, though. I've always the run leads to a disconnect setup on the vehicle and left the power pack inside the garage (of course, my cars were typically 12v dual batteries in parallel).

I suppose you could do that here with an eight-lead disconnect...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nicely done Dan well engineered and beautifully executed you obviously had Bryans help on this one? Kidding Dan it looks great and finished out very well, like was said before you have a parasite draw going on somewhere, give it time it will show up and can then be fixed or deal with like you already have. It looks very good! Please say HI to the family from us over here in the ARCTIC!!!!
Karl

dxhend2

thanks for the write up and pics. get the feeling you have a parasitic drain somewhere and the charger is simply compensating for it. sometimes you got to do what works. Your adventures will eventually point out the drain or another project will unknowingly fix it along the way. Thanks again
Definitely - there is some kind of small drain (11 W) going on, haven't been able to track it down yet. Puzzling part is that's with the master cutout switch by the battery box OPEN. Will keep looking as the build progresses, but first priority was to get it to reliably start.

Decision to mount it on the vehicle was so that when we do eventually go out boondocking, we can use the solar panels to also provide a trickle charge, keeping it in a (more) reliable condition wherever we are.

Good questions/discussion on the weatherproof aspects - that was also a major consideration in favor of mounting it on the vehicle. //

dxhend2

Very nicely done Dan well engineered and beautifully executed you obviously had Bryans help on this one? Kidding Dan it looks great and finished out very well, like was said before you have a parasite draw going on somewhere, give it time it will show up and can then be fixed or deal with like you already have. It looks very good! Please say HI to the family from us over here in the ARCTIC!!!!
Karl
Thanks, Karl! Yes, Bryan definitely helped me with the wiring. We were both splicing and soldering at the same time - made the job go a lot faster. Stay safe and warm up there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks