• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire noise, wheel wobble, run-out question/troubleshooting

NormB

Couple of months back I took my truck over to Jeff's Adrenaline Off-Road (AOR here on SS) to balance tires.

Took some weight, but did it. Took off my Centramatics - for now.

Not a lot of miles since, but here's where I need some help troubleshooting:

Front left tire began making some whining around 25-30mph right after I'd added the centramatics about a year ago. sounded like tire noise, no change w/ steering, just speed and JUST that one tire. Test ride with Jeff came up with same conclusion.

So, after balancing and rotating tires (bearing, ball joint and other connections all solid), now the noise is coming from right rear at same speed.

What we noticed in balancing was, TWO of my four tires/wheels were "wobbling" about a half inch off-center when spun up on the machine.

I seem to recall one wheel being "dinged" a bit near the rim, the other looks okay, run out on one wheel was noticeable, other minimal.

Is it possible to bend/warp the wheels that much? I know the things get whatever wheels are available slapped on as replacement (motor pool, DRMO, gov't planet, reseller) so no detectable/obvious damage to truck doesn't mean wheel didn't come off some rolled-over truck somewhere along the way.

Might the TIRES be bad?

Hoping to get this up on a lift soon, solve this, but I'm considering buying a couple of refurbished/spec'd wheels (about $125 each delivered) to start from scratch. I have a set of unused MTs in my shed I'd been saving "for later", but was considering "later" to be after I get this truck down to my farm in TN in a couple of years.

Any help, advice, recommendations, spell/grammar checking will be greatly appreciated. Really, it might bring a tear to my eye...

NormB

If it’s on a machine, pretty simple to see if the issue is a bent rim vs an out of round tire...

I have this bad habit of overthinking stuff like this.

It's not my day job.

I value your advice more highly than our parish priest (well, I left the church at 14, but it's a compliment anyway).

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks