Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SEE Transmission not operating in any forward or reverse gear

Sergeant
    Thanks

That's sounds...expensive. So no one thinks it could be the air shift solenoid?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 797 Posts

Yeah, I still think it could be air shifter related.
    If it were me, I'd make it work in low range and leave it there. I never mess with that splitter anyway.
    Of course, I don't usually drive the FLUs on the road.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Any ideas on where to access the solenoid?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by f800 View Post
    What's the NSN and part number ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f800 View Post
    Look at TM4-2420-224-24P-1, page 119.

You will get to tilt your cab.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The FLU farm View Post
    Yeah, I still think it could be air shifter related.
    If it were me, I'd make it work in low range and leave it there. I never mess with that splitter anyway.
    Of course, I don't usually drive the FLUs on the road.
    Maybe I am miss reading something here, but as I understand it the transmission is in direct or high when operated normally and the air shifter lowers the gear ratio. In other words the air shifter is an under drive not an overdrive. If one were to drive the truck without waiting for air pressure to develop to the point where the air shifter would work, you’d simply be driving around in direct ratios. Am I somehow wrong in this understanding? Not knowing the details of the intricacies in that mechanism I’m speaking off-the-cuff, but it’s probably spring loaded right? So the shift collar is held in direct range when air pressure isn’t delivered to that actuator, thus if the suspect is the air shift system perhaps it’s a broken spring? Anything else broken that would cause these symptoms in my mind would make a loud scary noise.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Oh crap. I was afraid you’d say that. I’ll have to wait a couple weeks to get to it. Thanks

Private
    Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread. I donít know how to start a new thread. I have some Troubleshooting/parts questions. FLU 419 wonít drive due to binding in the driveline. With both axles off the ground, the rear spins/drives normally- by hand or powered. 4WD/lockers disengaged. The front wheels will spin fine in opposite directions but will not turn in the same direction whether forward or reverse. As though the driveshaft is binding. Removed the drain plug from front drive of tranny and can smoothly turn the spur gear with screwdriver - no metal on magnetic drain plug. Iím thinking the problem must be with the Ujoint but wanted another opinion before tearing apart. Is this a known failure mode? What tends to bind up? Couldnít find any answers on prior posts. Are there any other parts that are prudent to change while front is removed for u joint? Iím assuming Iíll need to drop the front axle. Not sure if another problem is associated with this or not but it has also been leaking oil from front ujoint boot whenever the PTO is engaged and the trucks not moving. Not sure if itís dripping from above the boot and running off the bottom but inside of boot looks dry. (Boot is torn). Thanks in advance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muellerter View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread. I donít know how to start a new thread. I have some Troubleshooting/parts questions. FLU 419 wonít drive due to binding in the driveline. With both axles off the ground, the rear spins/drives normally- by hand or powered. 4WD/lockers disengaged. The front wheels will spin fine in opposite directions but will not turn in the same direction whether forward or reverse. As though the driveshaft is binding. Removed the drain plug from front drive of tranny and can smoothly turn the spur gear with screwdriver - no metal on magnetic drain plug. Iím thinking the problem must be with the Ujoint but wanted another opinion before tearing apart. Is this a known failure mode? What tends to bind up? Couldnít find any answers on prior posts. Are there any other parts that are prudent to change while front is removed for u joint? Iím assuming Iíll need to drop the front axle. Not sure if another problem is associated with this or not but it has also been leaking oil from front ujoint boot whenever the PTO is engaged and the trucks not moving. Not sure if itís dripping from above the boot and running off the bottom but inside of boot looks dry. (Boot is torn). Thanks in advance
    To create a new thread, click the "Forum" tab on top of each page, then scroll down to the "Unimogs" subforum and click that link. On top of each subforum page is a "Post New Thread" button. (You can also click this link to get into in the Unimog forum).

Please edit your post here to point to that new thread. I will reply to your problems in the new thread
    Last edited by alpine44; 02-16-2019 at 10:41.
    1990 FLU419 SEE
    1986 M1009, 6.2L engine, 700R4/NP241, 4.10:1 14 bolt 8 lug rear, 10 bolt 8 lug front, 4" lift, 34.5" tires
    1993 M998 2-man troop carrier - SOLD
    MEP002A generator
    Gichner Expandable ISO shelter = my machine shop

Thanks

The largest collective English speaking Unimog folk, and they know FLU/SEE, etc as well is at benzworld.org/forums/unimog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast