• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEE Transmission not operating in any forward or reverse gear

Muellerter

Thanks for the instructions on how to post a new thread. I received a call back from Scott at expedition who suggested the flange mounting bolts may have backed out of the transmission flange because the locking tabs are frequently not used properly. Hopefully that’s the case. I’ll pull the thrust housing this weekend and take a look if weather allows

peakbagger

The largest collective English speaking Unimog folk, and they know FLU/SEE, etc as well is at benzworld.org/forums/unimog
I participate on that forum and have for several years. I find them very helpful on Unimogs in general but less so on SEE specific issues. This forum on the other hand has been very helpful over the years and tends to be very SEE specific. Thanks to Captain Hood's work we got our hands on Wiring Diagrams which up until he found them in surplus auction were not available from anyone. Thanks to another member we got access to the student handbook (in the misc tech manuals) which has info that does not appear to be available anywhere else. Speedwoble went into production on the cab tilting brackets on this forum and FLU is constant source of great info.

One thing we could use is more active moderation so that folks do new topics instead of just adding the SEE thread as its getting pretty monstrous ;)

kira2235740

Hey f800, have you tried locking SEE into 4x4 and operating it? On my FLU I had the 6 bolts that connect the transmission output shaft to the driveshaft. All 6 had worked loose then snapped on me, same result as you. I could get into all of the gears but wouldnt go any where until I engaged the four wheel drive. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muellerter

Thanks for the reply. Mine is having the problem with the front driveshaft, so it wants to drive in 2 Wheel Drive but as the front axle turns the driveshaft it’s binding in the torque tube even without connection to the transmission. Hopefully the Hub or threads aren’t damaged too much. Did you have to change anything other than the bolts?Were you able to do the repair without removing the axle, by removing the thrust housing? Thanks

kira2235740

Thanks for the reply. Mine is having the problem with the front driveshaft, so it wants to drive in 2 Wheel Drive but as the front axle turns the driveshaft it’s binding in the torque tube even without connection to the transmission. Hopefully the Hub or threads aren’t damaged too much. Did you have to change anything other than the bolts?Were you able to do the repair without removing the axle, by removing the thrust housing? Thanks
If I remember correctly it was a absolute pain to do it, you have to have the driveshaft plus torque tube due to them not being able to separate when trying to mount or dismount the unit. It was best to come from the top, remove the knuckle housing and have a ratchet with a knuckle joint to manipulate the socket into place. There were three bolts if I remember correctly that you can get from crawling underneath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muellerter

Not sure I follow what you mean by “have to have the driveshaft and torque tube”. Are you saying that it’s more difficult to do the job because they both have to remain in place and they are difficult to work around as a unit?

kira2235740

Not sure I follow what you mean by “have to have the driveshaft and torque tube”. Are you saying that it’s more difficult to do the job because they both have to remain in place and they are difficult to work around as a unit?
Yes, I am saying that. You cannot remove the protective case that covers the drive shaft while it is still attached to the axle. To remove the protective cover you have to drop the axle and drive shaft together. Then you can slide the protective cover off the drive shaft.

“Student, you do not study to pass the test. You study to prepare for the day when you are the only thing between a patient and their grave.”

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As already stated, the thrust tube has to be moved away from the transmission to expost the flanges and u-joint. The two ways to do that are disconnect the entire axle by loosening the bolts in the ends of the coil springs, or, use a come-along or winch to force the torque tube and axle assembly away from the transmission against spring pressure. The torque tube slides off the driveshaft "just enough'. The latter method is forcing the axle against spring load and is dangerous to your fingers. I take the springs off.

It should be obvious that the frame and mog have to be on jack stands or cripping to do that.

Note that the driveshaft rides on a long spline at the differential pinion shaft. If you have ever had trans lube leakage into the diff, this is a good time to replace the tranny output seal.
Those 6 bolts have never been accessable to me with a socket and ratchet. Time for old fashion box end wrench.

Order a set of new bolts and bolt retainers ahead of time. Imho always use new bolts and Locktite.

I have a 406 apart if you need pictures.

My standard disclaimer: my description applies to the basic 406, 416 and most other Unimogs and a SEE might be different.

Last edited:

f800

Good to know! Sounds much easier than pulling the cab. As you can SEE (pun intended), 9 months later and I still haven't gotten around to it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks