• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axle Seal

dyrk

Hi, I am a new member in this forum.
Now I am an owner of a 1962 deuce and a half.
So I have to change the outer seal on the rear axle, oil is leaking out.
My questions are:
Is it difficult to get out the axle shaft,
any notes,
do I need special tools and
is it necessary to lift up the truck or is it enough to put the inner wheel a bit up on a piece of wood or
anything like that, to remove the wheel if ihave to.
All in all its clear, what I have to do, but before making bad mistakes, I better ask stupid questions.
thanks

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as it is leaking from the outside of the hub, it should be pretty straight forward.

You shouldn’t need to lift anything up... just loosen and remove the eight 3/4” hex bolts holding the axle to the hub, slide the axle out, replace the gasket, and then reassemble.

If it’s leaking from other places, then you’re talking about removing the hub and replacing bearing seals... totally different story :)

dyrk

Thanks for this quick response.
That´s what I wanted to hear.;-)
For the first, I hope it´t´s not more.
I will see. As soon as the weather gives me the chance
i will get there (shure not the next 3/4weeks, too cold).
I´ll give a feddback then.
Best regards!

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Fatalid said if it is the outer seal, very straight forward to fix with basic hand tools. If it is the inner, that is a whole other story. If you`ve never worked on them, find someone that knows how to do it (like other members on this Forum) and watch closely on how it is done. And of course, reading of the TM`s is a must. They are available from this site too. Good luck!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it leaking from the outer part of the hub or from the inside like the brake drum? The outer seal is to keep oil out of the bearings.
If so the bolts on the outside of the hub just maybe loose, need to be set to 75 ftlbs.

Last edited:

77 AMG

No, ONLY if you have to remove/ pull the hub off so that you can replace the inner seal. Think of it like a bigger version of a 3/4 or 1 ton pick-up truck.

rtadams89

I've admittedly never done it (hence why I'm following this thread -- mine might need some work), but I've pulled the axle shaft flange and don't see how you are getting the outer seal off/on with the nuts and adjusting nut washer on. 9-2320-361-20 "9-4 REAR HUB AND DRUM MAINTENANCE" says you take off the nuts before removing the outer seal. Looking at videos of the outer axle (https://youtu.be/k1wiK71hOLo?t=1490) I also don't see how you could get that seal off. Are we talking about something different? What am I missing?

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is leaking from the outside, then you need to replace the paper gasket where the axle mates with the hub.

We aren’t talking bearing seals, just the gasket.

dyrk

I lifted up the truck and it was clear, that most of the bolts were loose.
Pulling out the shaft, there was stuff like silicone instead of the paper gasket.
I cleaned up the pressing surface, put on a new gasket and stuck back the shaft.
The bad thing is, that four bolt holes got bad threads so I couldn´t tight up this bolts.
Think I got the options to cut new threads or to try it with inserts.

Anyway, thats the result of my leaking axle shaft!

Have a good time to you all and til next...
Dyrk

Keith_J

There is almost always a little alignment issue with the bolts if the wheel is on the ground. Jack up the wheel and they should align perfectly. Silicone works fine.

Seals are another issue..almost every one I ever worked on, in uniform or as a civy, has had gear oil migration to the bearings. None ever had damaged or worn bearings. Inner hub seals can be over loaded by gear oil/grease which was a frequent problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks