• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light for floor shift bezel

KI4FKW

If I read correctly, CUCVs did not get a light in the 4wd shift bezel. My question is, did the civvy ones have a light there? Looking at pictures on eBay, it appears that a light housing (at least in the civvy models) is present under the bezel (white plastic attached to black plastic). Has anyone added a light before?

I may try to if it is possible. I just need to figure out if A) the socket is there but unused B) I can add a socket or C) I'd need a complete civvy bezel. Also need to know if A) there is a wiring harness there somewhere or B) I'll need to build one.

It's raining out, or I'd be digging under the floor pad to find it myself at the moment.

Barrman

Yes, the civilian trucks had a light. All you need is a light holder just like the front fender marker lights and it will pop right in. It is totally useless in use though. One click back is 4hi, then over to N and another click back is 4lo. A light isn't really needed for that.

KI4FKW

Thanks. Yes, I know it is essentially useless. I just enjoy tinkering and it seems like it'd be something to do.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That doesn’t look like it will work.
The plug has four slots and the shifter slot has two.
Ref. Above pic.

cucvrus

Cut 2 ears off. Problem solved. Seems like guys like cutting things and eliminating things. 2 ears. 2 cuts. Done. Have a Great Day. -8* in Pennsylvania today.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll find the correct one eventually.
Even with two ears cut, it will not lock into place.

cucvrus

When I put one in mine I used the light from a civilian one. And the socket will lock in place with 2 ears removed. It will never move once it is under the cover and no one except the installer will know that 2 plastic ears have been cut. I move the 4WD indicator wire to the outside of the firewall. Not sure what the thinking was laying it on the floor. Good Luck. Stay warm and add an LED bulb to that connection under the shifter cover.

Merddin

I've been debating taking my bulb socket off my k5 and putting it in the 1008. I already switch the indicator down there out. The 1008 had a broken plastic piece that had not been greased since 86.

The black housing is same between both trucks, just without the socket and wiring in the 1008. I am not sure if it would be worth messing with. You would have to tap into another wire for power too.

cucvrus

DSCF5920.jpgDSCF5921.jpgDSCF5922.jpgIt is a different size socket in the shift bezel. And you could make a side maker light socket work if you really needed to. I looked at 2 parts trucks and they both had the socket in the shifter bezel. But unlike the side marker light sockets which are soft and pliable. The shift bezel socket is black and very brittle from years of heat associated with the 168 bulb being in that closed cavity and drying things out. The light housing in both is black and semi melted from being exposed to the bulbs heat. The ears on both sockets are broken off and the bulb is just barely attached to the light bezel. Not that it needs anything to hold it there. I would say an LED bulb with a modified side maker socket and you would be golden. Not worth a ton of engineering to light the bezel. But do a nice job in about a 1/2 hour. Last forever and LED no heat. Good Luck. And now for something completely different.
https://youtu.be/l8FztN51qBE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks