• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 value question.

Zt4pl3

So I bought a m1009 about a month ago as a daily driver for the lols. By some stroke of luck I wound up getting one that had been sitting on a base in a desert in AZ for the past 30 years untouched and preserved from the dry climate. When I got it the car originally it had 200 miles on the odometer, and I've put like 300 miles on it myself. And I've been given a bit of evidence and a story to explain why it's that low, so I don't think it was one of those cases I've heard about where the military rolls it back to 0 before they sell it. Other than the obvious crumbling rubber parts, the truck looks like it has all original parts in good condition. The engine, the body, the chairs, etc.

So the reason I'm posting this is I was talking to a buddy at work who was into cars, and he said that the fact that the miles are so low would give the car a kind of collectors value beyond the actual value of the car. I don't really have any urge to sell the thing, but I get that nagging worry that driving it around a ton would destroy that value. I've seen on this site that the common value of these things range from 2-6k, but how much would you guys price something I just described? Would it be worth preserving, or is it not even worth the trouble?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I bought a m1009 about a month ago as a daily driver for the lols. By some stroke of luck I wound up getting one that had been sitting on a base in a desert in AZ for the past 30 years untouched and preserved from the dry climate. When I got it the car originally it had 200 miles on the odometer, and I've put like 300 miles on it myself. And I've been given a bit of evidence and a story to explain why it's that low, so I don't think it was one of those cases I've heard about where the military rolls it back to 0 before they sell it. Other than the obvious crumbling rubber parts, the truck looks like it has all original parts in good condition. The engine, the body, the chairs, etc.

So the reason I'm posting this is I was talking to a buddy at work who was into cars, and he said that the fact that the miles are so low would give the car a kind of collectors value beyond the actual value of the car. I don't really have any urge to sell the thing, but I get that nagging worry that driving it around a ton would destroy that value. I've seen on this site that the common value of these things range from 2-6k, but how much would you guys price something I just described? Would it be worth preserving, or is it not even worth the trouble?
Need pictures , The military doesn't rollback odometers , but if a gauge breaks they put a new one in .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may get 6k for it, or even more... depending on how much someone else wants it. Although, I don't think anyone would consider an M1009 a collectible item...
Now, if you want to sell it then please post a for-sale ad in the classifieds. Advertising/selling in the open forums is not allowed.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are planning on driving it during the winter, better do some serious rustproofing first if you want it to stay nice.
They use a LOT of road salt up in your area and the CUCVs are notorious for rusting in fenders, tailgates etc.

Mileage, as already mentioned, really means nothing.
However.......condition does.
Rustfree, all original examples do bring a premium.

The prices are going up for these trucks.
All original, rust and modification free examples are getting very hard to find.

ssdvc

Looks like a very clean truck. Like Tinstar mentioned, I wouldn't be taking it on the road right now. All that salt dust will kill that machine. Work on her during the colder months and, after 3 hard rains the roads should be clean enough to drive on (just my bench mark). I use Fluid Film in my doors, tailgate and underside to keep her from rusting. If you do that once every two years, keep off the roads when conditions are like they are right now and keep the underside of your truck clean, your ride should last a while.

I am not too far away from you in Jewwitt City CT.

Zt4pl3

Yeah, this salt has been stressing me out a tiny bit this whole time. If all goes well I'll be moving out away from the north east tho, so hopefully it won't be a long term problem. Every car around here is almost completely covered with that nasty white paste that the salt leaves behind.

dougco1

You may get 6k for it, or even more... depending on how much someone else wants it. Although, I don't think anyone would consider an M1009 a collectible item...
Now
, if you want to sell it then please post a for-sale ad in the classifieds. Advertising/selling in the open forums is not allowed.
I think they a very collectable and prices are rising as fewer and fewer trucks are surviving. Many people are looking for them not necessarily for just the "cool" factor but because the cost of a new set of wheels is horrendous.

To have an original rust free low milage CUCV is in my opinion is "priceless". And to the OP, what ever you do please don't run it in the salt.

Zt4pl3

dISaPRo.jpg
only photo I could find with the pedals. I'll get some from underneath later, but from memory it just had like a light dusting of brown when I got it.

DeadParrot

A common rust point on the civilian version of these trucks is below the battery tray. Water flows off the hood and into the gap between hood and fender, runs off the battery picking up any acid seepage and carrying it down below. Over time, it will rot out the front of the inner wheel well and bottom of the core radiator support on the passenger side. Another common rust point is the added brace on the middle back of the wheel well on both sides.

johnjr

Bingo! That added brace is what I look at first on any k5. If that is intact, chances are the rest of the truck(bodywise) should be good.(corrosionwise)

johnjr

No that’s not the brace I/ we are referring to. It’s in front of the rear tire, something only on blazers, not pickups. I am too computer illiterate to find a picture and post, but someone will.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
so how quickly are we talking for it to get that foothold? days? months?
Zero rustproofing and daily driving on salted roads, Much Sooner than later.
Depends on if you rinse off truck after each trip and how well you do it.
Unlikely if temps are at or below freezing.

Having an unprotected truck covered in white road salt spray for an extended period of time, I would be very concerned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks