• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheet metal joint filler/sealer

fpchief

I have been told on this forum that Vulkem is probably the go to stuff to lay across an overlap in sheetmetal...the stuff does not seem to be available in the big box stores and is kinda expensive online. Is there a decent alternative i can use that will seal the joint and allow paint to stick? This is on the roof of my M109. I am laying 15" strips over the existing riveted roof joints and also putting metal over the rust holes on the edges.

Kip

dmetalmiki

I don't think any sealant is a long term fix (House garage or roof).. I got so fed up with leaks re appearing I mixed up a whole pot of 'boat type' 'Glass Fibre impregnated' resin with class mat in the mix and covered the whole VERY 'cleaned' and 'roughed up roof surface on the Kraz and my M54A2 Camper..
12 years later NO leaks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PL roof flashing in a caulk tube works pretty good. It's paintable. Mike at OD Iron used it on all his restores, claims it's better that regular body cauld.

Keith_J

Old school fix would be lead. I would make joints structural with silicon bronze, then tin the edges and lead it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks