• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CANCELED: SS/MVPA Rally at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey everyone! We are very excited to announce that we will be doing a joint Steel Soldiers/MVPA Rally at the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA) on the weekend of August 10th! That is the same weekend the MVPA will be finishing up their 2019 convention in York, PA, which is about an hour and 20 minutes from AOAA.

We are planning on arriving on Thursday August 8th or Friday the 9th. We’ll off-road our trucks all day on Friday and Saturday, and then break camp on Sunday the 11th to head for home.

Lodging: There are multiple hotels within 15-20 minutes of AOAA. There is also camping available at the Trailhead Campground which adjoins the AOAA. I am working with Trailhead to reserve several smaller campsites or hopefully one large one that can hold us all.

Fees: AOAA truck pass is $30 for a 1-day pass and $45 for a 2-day pass. AOAA passenger pass is $15 for a 1-day pass and $20 for a 2-day pass.

AOAA RULES:
All full-size vehicles must have the following:
  1. At least one tow point (example: tow hook or receiver hitch)
  2. Proper roll-over protection to include the passengers. (I’m guessing this means no soft or open top vehicles without a roll-bar/cage. Hard top vehicles are okay, but no WW2 jeeps without some sort of ROPS. I will confirm with AOAA ASAP)
  3. Battery tie down (no bungee cords).
  4. Seat belts for everyone in the vehicles, fire extinguisher and trash bag for liquid spills.
  5. Front and rear tow points are mandatory for the harder trails along with a winch and locker.
  6. Must travel in groups of two or more!

We are in need of one SS member who is familiar with AOAA to act as a local point-of-contact for the event. Also, we need multiple members who have off-roaded at AOAA previously to act as trail guides during the event. Please post up here or send me a PM if you would like to volunteer.

Keep checking back here for more information as we get the details ironed out!

Here’s the AOAA website: http://www.aoaatrails.com/

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, if Pennsylvania was just a few miles closer to Texas Dianna and I would drive our whole motorpool there to participate.

ANYONE near enough to bring an MV.... or if you can go sans-MV too - it really would be a great joint MVPA/SS event to support.

APPLAUSE ! ! !

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, if Pennsylvania was just a few miles closer to Texas Dianna and I would drive our whole motorpool there to participate.

ANYONE near enough to bring an MV.... or if you can go sans-MV too - it really would be a great joint MVPA/SS event to support.

APPLAUSE ! ! !
C’mon, John! Think of the memories you would make driving to PA in a deuce! LOL

OLDCHEV4X4

Hi Chris! I have been to AOAA many times and also raced my 69 Chevy Blazer there at the Ultra4 event last April.
I could possibly help out with trail guide duty's.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Chris! I have been to AOAA many times and also raced my 69 Chevy Blazer there at the Ultra4 event last April.
I could possibly help out with trail guide duty's.
Hi Randy! That’s awesome! It would be great to have someone who’s familiar with AOAA to help plan trail rides, etc... It would be nice to come up with several options for SS and MVPA members. There may be some guys who just want to cruise the fire roads, others who want to tackle the really gnarly stuff, and the rest will be somewhere in the middle.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C’mon, John! Think of the memories you would make driving to PA in a deuce! LOL
Ya know, Chris, my heart longs for an epic road trip like this one would be sure to be remembered.
The temptation to attend EVERY rally, meet and coffee event is very real and somewhat exaggerated by my semi-remoteness here in west Texas (60 miles to the nearest Interstate Highway).
However, the Lord's Prayer teaches me, "Lead us not into temptation." So I'd better be listening to the Supreme Commander - aka: God - on this.... at least until HE commands otherwise.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are there different difficulty levels on the trails?
Yes, check out the attached AOAA trail maps. LOTS of trails!
Ya know, Chris, my heart longs for an epic road trip like this one would be sure to be remembered.
The temptation to attend EVERY rally, meet and coffee event is very real and somewhat exaggerated by my semi-remoteness here in west Texas (60 miles to the nearest Interstate Highway).
However, the Lord's Prayer teaches me, "Lead us not into temptation." So I'd better be listening to the Supreme Commander - aka: God - on this.... at least until HE commands otherwise.
I hear ya, brother. I know you’ll be there in spirit.

Attachments

TAZZJR

APPLAUSE ! ! !
Good morning all

I'm new to 2 1/2 ton life. I am finishing my first rebuild and looking for and outing to get to know the steel soldiers community.

Tx to Pa and back is not a trip I'm ready for yet but I am looking for something to go to.

Thank you for the help.

WhoMe08721

Hey Guys,

I have a M35a2 on MRAP wheels and tires with all 3 axle having arb air locker. But the truck is a soft top. Would I be able to go even though AOAA RULE #2 say, you need a roll-over protection. I also have a stock m998 6.5 4 door soft with a soft top.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Guys,

I have a M35a2 on MRAP wheels and tires with all 3 axle having arb air locker. But the truck is a soft top. Would I be able to go even though AOAA RULE #2 say, you need a roll-over protection. I also have a stock m998 6.5 4 door soft with a soft top.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to use your M35A2 at AOAA because it’s a soft top truck. I know it seems silly because it’s not like a hard top would save you if you flipped it, but that’s the rule. Your HMMWV would be fine as long as the factory B-pillar “roll bar” is installed. Hope you will join us!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We are a little over two months away from rally time! Please post up if you guys are interested in attending. Also, please let me know if you are interested in camping onsite or if you are going to stay down the road in a local hotel. Thanks!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I reserved six camping spots at Trailhead this morning. Five of them are smaller spots and one is a large group spot. They are marked in blue on the attached map. They are all right next to each other and are located right next to the access road to AOAA. That should give us room for 20-25 people and provide a great spot for the bonfire and cookout on Friday and Saturday night. There are some other spots available in the same area if we get more folks committed to attending. Please let me know if you’ll be camping with us.

Also, we will need some firewood for the bonfire. Please let me know if you’re local and can bring some wood. Trailhead charges $5 a bundle!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Update: Great news!! Dave Newman from Eastern Surplus has graciously agreed to sponsor our Friday night cookout! We will have lots of great chow to throw on the barbecue along with all of the fixins and beverages! Thanks, Dave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks