• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flexplate rubs original starter

wisconsinz

Hey guys,

Had my 27mt direct drive starter rebuilt because I must have improperly installed a new 28mt gear reduction and it chewed up the flexplate while the tranny mechanics were doing some adjustments. Now, for the life of them, they can't seem to install the 27mt with a new flexplate without them rubbing together on the starter housing. I even brought them pages from the TM. They said they've tried everything. Yes, we have the correct bolts. Yes we have the proper bracket. They are recommending another gear reduction with an open face, but I dont see any reason why the original I had rebuilt wouldnt fit properly.

Any ideas??

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hard to say for sure without seeing it, but I’ll throw some things out. Is the shop 100% sure they have the correct flex plate? Did the starter rebuild shop machine the mounting surface on the starter for some reason? Has the tranny shop tried to shim the starter?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No machining, same housing. Correct flexplate. Yes, they shimmed, but shimming wont move the starter forward.
Hmmm, that is odd. When you said it was rubbing, I thought you meant the inside of the starter nose was rubbing the outside of the ring gear. Is it a good quality flex plate? I have heard of El Cheapo flex plates having the ring gear welded on crooked or offset in one direction. Have they tried flipping the flex plate over and seeing if it still hits?

wisconsinz

Starter was around $80 from O'Reilly's. The flexplate can only be put on one way right? The raised rectangular patch (whatever its called) on the plate should be facing the rear right?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Starter was around $80 from O'Reilly's. The flexplate can only be put on one way right? The raised rectangular patch (whatever its called) on the plate should be facing the rear right?
Yeah, I was thinking maybe they had it flipped around, but the crank snout and the torque converter bolts go into the recesses on the plate so I don’t see any way they could have done that. Does the ring gear hit the starter all the way around or just in certain places?

nyoffroad

Is the flex plate seated evenly and all the way down on the crank? How can you be sure you have the correct flex plate and starter drive gear?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your torque converter studded or does it have bolts pass rearwards through the flex plate into threaded holes in the converter?

Rick

319cssb

Hey i just thought of something what if they pulled the torque converter out and didnt seat it properly? That would cause issues on re assembly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks