• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased FD CUCV

DeadParrot

Recently purchased a former FD CUCV. One of the attractions for me is the included brush fire rig. Plus already familiar with the Chevy square body trucks. Hopefully the pump setup won't be too much trouble to get running again. The pump motor does turn over. Story I got was PO purchased the truck from the FD for a large fencing job as due to a burn ban, they were required to have a rig on site. Once the job was done, they didn't need the rig anymore.

Paperwork from during the FD service shows a replaced transmission/converter, new heater blower motor, new fuel pump, starter changed to gear reduction starter, new injection pump. One of the last service tickets mentions coolant in the cab and the heater core is now bypassed. Batteries show a 2016 mfg date. No records from prior to the FD ownership.

Starts and runs good. Wait light reacts as the TM says is should. Used a lot of oil on trip back but shows no drip leaks when parked. Has a case of driver's side 'death wobble'. Tires in good shape tread wise.

Found the air filter looking like it should have been replaced years ago. A few threads indicate a plugged filter can cause excessive oil use.

Have done an oil/filter change, new air filter and greased the front steering. It came with the driver's side rear taillight lens, but I can't find the bag of bulbs that got packed away for the recent move so the lens is off pending a parts trip.

Bushing/springs on order for the king pins. Plan on new front shocks at the same time and checking the steering box bolts/frame area.

Looks like it has the GP relay upgrade. Plan on removing the old stuff behind the air cleaner while the battery is moved for the heater core swap.

Interesting discovery. The receiver under the bumper is a 3.5” receiver tube simply welded to the bumper and a vertical flat plate welded to the frame. And most of the secondary bumper support bolts are missing from the bumper. Might be able to see the square holes in the rear view pic.

Current plans are to transfer the pump rig to my M101 as the bed is a near match for the CUCV bed. (May have to widen the wheel wells for the tank.), and make the CUCV my prime PU while I do some much needed work on the 75 visible in the rear view pic. Need the brush rig as the PO for the land left several brush piles that are larger then the barn.

Modification.jpgRedTruck1.jpgRedTruck2.jpgRedTruck3.jpgRedTruck4.jpg

fasttruck

The receiver is obviously non military. The issue pintle hook and trailer light plug are missing. Receiver looks to be "farmer installed."

DeadParrot

The receiver is obviously non military. The issue pintle hook and trailer light plug are missing. Receiver looks to be "farmer installed."
Could well be. The FD in question is a volunteer outfit in Wheeler Arkansas. Guessing it is a standard size for them but they way it is installed, can't see it being safe for heavy towing. Planning on removing it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a pretty good truck for a brush truck! The fire department guys do like to play with the wiring! Good luck with it!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck looks in decent shape.
Is a Repaint in its future?
That red is definitely........Red.

Great score on the pumper unit.

DeadParrot

Probably on a repaint. More of an OSU orange guy. But that will wait until most of the mechanical work is done. For all of its redness, the paint is in pretty good condition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks