Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fuel polishing

Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 1,803 Posts

I made a nice inexpensive filter setup for my Deuce. Have since sold that actual setup.
    I also had multiple 55 gallon drums full of new and used oil, (none ever from diesel crankcases) and had zero problems. I put one cansiter on the pump output to assure clean fuel.
    The setups are simple, moved a lot of fuel and very easy to maintain.
    I am now going to put my filters and my last three filter heads in the classified section.
    They will be listed for not much money.
    They work. I had the cleanest fuel in the Deuce fuel tank ever, continuously filtered down to one micron if I thought that necessary. On the road I just used 3 micron filter, easily changed out, but never had to. Also I didn't have to change the truck mounted original filters again, so it was money and time saving.
    I was going to patent it but there is almost no market and that is expensive so I give it away.
    fuel filter setup mine IMG_4242.jpgIMG_4840.jpgmy 6 micron filterpumpjob IMG_0296.jpg
    Last edited by frank8003; 02-03-2019 at 13:11.
    I was here, had a good time.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frank8003 For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (02-05-2019), NormB (02-03-2019), SCSG-G4 (02-03-2019), smokem joe (02-03-2019), uniquify (02-05-2019)

General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smokem joe View Post
    Not sure what kind of old gas vehicle pump you are talking about. Old to me is the mechanical fuel pump on the side of the engine! I guess that shows my age. Do you have a link or a picture of one?
    Old meaning removed from service. An electric pump.

Personaly i would rather use poly 55gal drum than steel.
    Poly dosnt rust from the inside or out. Prob get less condensation inside too.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bmxenbrett For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (02-05-2019), SCSG-G4 (02-03-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robson1015 View Post
    Although not real popular on here - I use a black plastic 55 gal drum to store fuel for my MEP-803A. ( with additives of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmxenbrett View Post
    ...Personaly i would rather use poly 55gal drum than steel.
    Poly dosnt rust from the inside or out. Prob get less condensation inside too.

As long as they are completely opaque. some algae needs the UV. Ive seen that fuel in IBCs doesnt last nearly as long as it should.

I was in the market of some of those flexible bladders that went up recently but price never got low enough.

Some plastics are permeable to some chemicals. I have a dozen 15 gallon poly drums that I would store various fluids in, but I have noticed that whatever those are made of (looks the same as a poly 55) they stain really badly and you can tell where the diesel was filled to, ended up retiring them to trash bin service. The ones used briefly for diesel are still stained. Definitely check compatibility before using anything but metal.
    It's not that I have too many generators, it's that I don't have enough room.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demoh For This Useful Post:

NormB (02-03-2019), SCSG-G4 (02-03-2019)

Thanks

I use a 30gallon poly barrel, easier to manage than a 55, and available 2 miles from me @$15
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 660 Posts

Howdy,

Also a side note. You will want to use a floating pickup. You may want to polish all the upper level of fuel, and leave maybe the bottom 2 inches, and use other methods for the last remaining. Water sits at the bottom when it settles.
    ~~Later Mike

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daybreak For This Useful Post:

69birdman (02-04-2019), Guyfang (02-05-2019)

General
    Thanks

If your keeping that white barrel outside you should paint or cover it with something so no light can get in. Fuel grows stuff when sun can get to it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bmxenbrett For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (02-05-2019), NormB (02-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,598 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    This applies to diesel fuel, gasoline is a different topic. When talking about contaminates there are three biggies to worry about. Water, algae, and general dirt/ rust. Water occurs primarily from condensation, bad fuel, poor sealing caps and fittings. Once the amount of water in diesel fuel reaches 1%, algae can grow. Rust and dirt shouldn’t need an explanation.

From the above it should come as no surprise prevention is the best course of action.

So, what about fuel polishing. It will depend on how much fuel that needs to be dealt with, what kind of problems there may be and what does the budget allow.

Probably one of the best filters is one from a Beta fuel setup. They remove water and are rated for 50 GPM. The design allows fuel to pass thru the filter and water collects in the bottom of the housing during use to be drained off later. The full Beta pumping rig is a little too big for most users. However, the small 24V transfer pumps work quite well, and pump 35 GPM. Using a transfer pump thru a beta filter will remove the water.

If you need to clean up large amounts of fuel, this is the way to do it. My thugs and I had to help setup two fueling points, when the POMCUS, (Prepositioning Of Materiel Configured in Unit Sets) when the equipment was being taken out of storage and sent to the First Great Sand Box War. The fuel points, 4 of them, pumped straight from 30,000 gal rail car. The fuel was first pumped to fuel bladders, and then through the filters shown above. Good clean fuel came out the other end of the hose. You could mount one of these filters shown below, near your fuel source. Easy to clean filters. was real nice! Google POMCUS. Very interesting read. The first picture that comes up, showing a tank being parked in one of the buildings, was about 300 meters from my shop. There were thousands of vehicles on Miesau Army Depot where I worked. And Tens of Thousands, in the K-Town area.

What if the fuel has algae growing in it? A heavy treatment of algaecide will kill the algae and after it settles to the bottom of the tank the Beta filter will filter the algae from the fuel. A nice setup would be a Beta tank, transfer pump, thru a Beta filter back into the tank or another tank. 55-gallon drums or any other fuel tank would accomplish the task just as well.

Attachment 755028
    Attachment 755029
    Attachment 755030

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

robson1015 (02-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 1,803 Posts

Refer to parts for sale. I lowered the total price of two filters and a new head for Steel Soldiers.
    Anyone with a Deuce already has the pump. You can set it up on a hand truck.
    Take outlet from in-tank pump to the filter head/ filter and the outlet from the filter right back to the tank with a hose. Filters entire fuel tank in less than two hours. Put your battery charger on.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ing-Have-three
    I was here, had a good time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to frank8003 For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (02-07-2019)

General
    Thanks

I don't have a deuce or I might go that direction

Sergeant
    Thanks

I have also been looking into this. What I cant find out for sure is if you can clean the fuel in one pace with say a racor 1000fh in 2 micron. Or do you need to series them with a 10 micron then a 2 micron in order to get all the water and particulate out? I plan to parallel 2 china knock offs racor 1000fh but use genuine racor 2 micron filters. I'm just not sure if I need each of those to have a 10 micron in series with it. Northern tool has a nice 120v fuel pump. Its 22 gpm though. That I think is a bit high for one 1000fh hence the 2 in parallel.
    M925A2
    MEP-004A

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast