• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new 1993 HMMWV 998

sagreen83

Have posted a few questions and thought I should post the pics of my new HMMWV. Picked it up last weekend. Its a '93 with a 6.5L rebuilt by the Gov in 2008. Has 6800 miles since rebuild. I'm loving it. A few quirks to learn here and there, but this machine is a beast! Gotta figure out cold starts, its pretty cold blooded. Radio came with it and works.

Scott...

hmmwv1.jpghmmwv2.jpghmmwv3.jpg

ikoinu

Do it. Peace of mind.
Get this guy too, you'll thank me: https://real4wd.com/store/Glow-Plug-Removal-Tool

Test your glow plug wires. Mine were getting 24v 100% of the time when the ignition was on. Smart box was a little messed up, worked otherwise still giving the wait to start light for 8 seconds.

I left everything attached, except unplugged all the glow plugs. Swapped them out (using the tool I listed) and wired in a relay/switch/additional NOS plug wires to switch the glow plug controller from smart (stupid) box to manual.

I'm happy with my decision to not ride on the smart box carousel anymore, only issue is I have to be cautious with my button pushing. 6 seconds, 8 seconds max.
I also always keep a spare set of plugs on standby just in case.

Note: your ammeter gauge on the dash will tell you if the majority of your plugs are shot. You should see a significant dip in the gauge while starting for 8 seconds or so when cold, if you don't it means the plugs aren't drawing because they're fried.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Very good advice is to check and be clear how and the distribution of power to the glow plugs and when it should be or more important NOT be energized. A good set sucks a lot of AMPS 80 +/- so it is easy to see the VOLTMETER dip when when they are going hot and or cycling (voltage drop in system wiring)

IMO Ohm them out first and go from there. Anything over 5 Ohms, toss them in the "just in case" spares box. Open ones to the scrap metal bin. If you are going for new change them all at same time and keep fingers crossed. Go to the first statement above and VERIFY the BOX is not "HOT HANGING' Shut it down if OVER 8-10 seconds and start scratching head for serious BOX trouble. Good batteries are a must. Those plugs you listed for sale are good too.

HOW TO:

IN or OUT of truck, ONE at a time.

Using multi-meter, check glow plug internal resistance OHMS. Verify meter is functional correctly FIRST.

Connect one test lead to top terminal and other test lead to threaded area.

Glow plug internal resistance should be 1.5-5.0ohms.

If resistance is not 1.5-5.0 ohms, replace glow plug.

Note: Should be in a range between the others. Say 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.8 Matching closely. Odd ball out is 4.6, 2.4, 5.3, 3.1, 1.9 not matched up well BUT ??? workable.

NEW ONES... CHECK BEFORE USING.

No dog in the race link here > https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/115.html

Get them while there hot,

CAMO

GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

sagreen83

CAMO and Ioinu, thank you so much for your detailed help! Glow plugs and removal tool on order.

I notice my gauge dips, not sure what the amps it dips are, but its about 1/8th of the gauge dip while the light is on. I'll check the ohms and cables as well.

Thanks!!
Scott...

sagreen83

Picked up a Tach from Ebay. I have a CNC plasma so I'll cut out a nice box to mount it. Thinking the left side of the windshield is a nice place based on others installs. Hope to start work on it this weekend. Also bought a plug in block heater to help with the cold.

Scott...

tach.jpg

ikoinu

Good choice on the tach, just put mine in. Very nice to know what the revs are. I'm seeing 2850 or so at 55mph.

I used the block heater plenty when the glow plugs went south, starts up instantly.

20190207_235229.jpg

ikoinu

Thanks. Yup, backup camera was a necessity with Bulldogger's soft slantback, he put a solid panel in for me instead of a window (running a spare tire mount, blocked the view anyway).
I used this kit, just painted it carc green to blend in and riveted it to the doghouse cover: https://thosemilitaryguys.com/products/custom-back-up-camera-kit-24v-hmmwv

Exactly, that thread was very helpful with wiring: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?153495-hmmwv-tachometer-installation&highlight=tach
I used Juanprado's Autometer cup idea (part #5204) and carc'd that too. I did wire directly to the tach sender, doesn't seem to matter which order you wire in to (2 wires).
Also used Packard connectors on all connections with Prestolite 14 awg wire (same as all the factory wiring) so it is easy to unhook if need be.

If you are looking for any storage ideas and are not running a Red Dot ac, this worked for me:

20190208_102605.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks