• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any stateside source for Yanmar rubber grommet/isolators for MEP-831A?

Demoh

I have a handful of 831s that everything rubber has been replaced, except for the rubber cushions / grommets / isolators that hold the front cover / airflow thing to the engine. All of these generators came with these grommets in great shape, however because I run all of my gens extensively as part of my process I have found that all of them the grommets turn to goo within short order.

I find it hard to believe I havent seen anybody complaining about this problem. So far when the grommets go it will eat up the recoil starter which means its a requirement to replace for me.

Did some searching here, did searching online, I can find part numbers, but no source for these parts.

Ive found in 2 different manuals that the part numbers are 114299-45301 and 114250-45301 with interchangeability between L70 and L100 engines including knock off variants. I can find the parts in Australia, the UK, and sprinkled everywhere except the US. Some of these vendors are calling them rubber cushion grommets but it doesnt seem that part numbers is the issue, its finding where to get them.

If no source has these, has anybody had luck and has a part number for a suitable alternative? Im going to call a few yanmar dealers on monday as they are sure to have them.

EDIT / TLDR: I will say for the benefit of everybody: Grommets are readily available from any yanmar dealer. and if they are turned to goo, it wont be too long before it eats the recoil starter because it will start rubbing on the bell. 114250-45301 is the correct part number. Dont throw out the metal inserts as those dont come with the new grommets.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a marine diesel service place on the coast here in Massachusetts that offers Yanmar parts. A google search for the part lead me to them. I just shot them an email to see if they can get the part, lead time and cost. I could swing down and pick them up for you if they can get them. Will post up if I get a response out of them.

Demoh

Any pics? I'm not familiar with these gensets, but I am good at parts once in a while.
831a_grommet.jpg

Part # 8 on that sheet. Best picture I can find online is:
831a_grommet_2.png

All of the ones that have gone bad that I have seen turn into a thicker version of tar. It doesnt clean up at all and somehow I got it in the seat of my truck.... aua... I cant really use WD40 on my truck seats expecting positive results.

There is a marine diesel service place on the coast here in Massachusetts that offers Yanmar parts. A google search for the part lead me to them. I just shot them an email to see if they can get the part, lead time and cost. I could swing down and pick them up for you if they can get them. Will post up if I get a response out of them.
Thanks Kurt. Ill hope to see what my dealer searches come up with on Monday as well, hopefully its available and there isnt much of a price difference.

Demoh

Thank you very much strycnine, your contact that was local to me I just spent 6 hours at his shop talking. He is a good connection to have, yanmar dealer, cnc stuff, all kinds of machinery.

Lets just say I have triple the knowledge about these yanmar engines that I went in there with now as he had a bunch apart which I was able to see a lot and ask a lot of questions. At least now I know why the oil pressure on these things is 80+PSI, theres no regulator, only an orifice to bleed off any extra oil. Basically if the low oil pressure ever trips the engine is pretty much trashed. He does have one of these yanmars on a 3 wheeler and even has a fabbed a turbo to it.

I will say for the benefit of everybody: Grommets are readily available from any yanmar dealer. and if they are turned to goo, it wont be too long before it eats the recoil starter because it will start rubbing on the bell. 114250-45301 is the correct part number. Dont throw out the metal inserts as those dont come with the new grommets.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been using these generic bushings on my 531 and 016D's with good success. They are made by Electriduct, from SBR rubber, and are available on Jeff's big "A" site for about U$D 16. The only difference is that the Yanmar has a slightly larger flange on one side, which does not appear to cause any problems. I included one picture of the old bushing for comparison. The exact dimensions are available on the Electriduct and big "A" website.

Bushing label.JPGBushings.JPGNew Inside.JPGNew Outside.JPGOld inside.JPG

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I have been using these generic bushings on my 531 and 016D's with good success. They are made by Electriduct, from SBR rubber, and are available on Jeff's big "A" site for about U$D 16. The only difference is that the Yanmar has a slightly larger flange on one side, which does not appear to cause any problems. I included one picture of the old bushing for comparison. The exact dimensions are available on the Electriduct and big "A" website.

View attachment 787873
I'm unable to find the listing with the information provided.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search on Amazon for "Electriduct Rubber Grommet Seal Gasket O-Ring Bushing - 3/8" x 1/8" x 1/2" x 5/8" x 13/32" - Pack of 50 Grommets" I copied that description from the site.

2Pbfeet

I got mine from McMaster, because I wanted the EPDM for ozone and diesel resistance. I'm sure that the Yanmar versions are better, but my local Yanmar is a little...difficult. I bought some of the SBR versions a few years back and they did not last, at least for me.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

DD58

Just did this to my 831 have to see how long the oem ones last will update with running hrs and sitting time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks