• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1 front axle in the rear

Choppers

I recently saw a bobbed m923a1 with a front axle in both the front and rear. It looks nicely done, and seems to function properly, though I haven't driven it. Is this common / advisable. Thinking about buying it. Thanks

Back does not steer.

Last edited:
I think there needs to be a position lock in place for the rear steering if it's hydraulic in order for it to be street legal. Might want to look into that before you buy.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Rear steering is not something that you want to be half azz installed. Like the guy above said they have to be locked when on road. Test well before buying

Choppers

Finally got clarity on the description. There is a back axle on the back with front springs. Not the way previously described to me. Now that I understand.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One can use either the front springs from a deuce that set under the frame or the springs from an M105 that set outside of the frame and have a little more width stability, both seem acceptable. If it's using larger tires, check to see if the front caster has been changed (many threads on the subject here). Without the (front) change, the radials tend to wander going down the road.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One can use either the front springs from a deuce that set under the frame or the springs from an M105 that set outside of the frame and have a little more width stability, both seem acceptable. If it's using larger tires, check to see if the front caster has been changed (many threads on the subject here). Without the (front) change, the radials tend to wander going down the road.
Deuce or 105 springs on a 5ton?

rustystud

That system utilized an electric motor actuated rack and pinion system... not hydraulic. It used a computer to designate the position of the rear tires in relation to the speed of the vehicle.
This was a very costly mistake for General Motors. For a designated "off-road" vehicle I might consider rear wheel steer, but for any vehicle going freeway speeds NO Way ! I know for a fact that the electrical components would become corroded, then it would malfunction. Now if it was properly maintained they where fine, but that is just something else that must be maintained on a regular basis. Also they were not as strong as a straight axle. It took ten years to develop this unit. A lot of wasted resources for GM.

Last edited:

bigford

Just a quick rear-steer comment: I've had 2 trucks with that ability. One ran 2.5s and the other runs 5s. For the street the rear must be locked or prevented from steering. I have used a 1" pin through the steering arm on both with success. The pin is driven in and out with a small air cylinder. If rear steered at speeds about 10 mph or higher the truck wants to roll. Think of backing up and turning the wheel, same affect. I used an electric / hydraulic pump and a small cylinder with a toggle switch mounted on my shifter to steer.
For me the rear steer only works off-road and in Walmart parking lots.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks